Women In Shorts MDR - Casual Night

[quote name='KMVigs']Because that directly affects someone else. Wearing shorts doesn't offend anyone. Being naked offends someone.

Also, for sanitary reasons.[/QUOTE]

Having my breasts bare is not unsanitary, any more than having my arms bare is.

And we've seen multiple times where people have said that anyone who is offended by someone wearing shorts to dinner has a problem - so clearly people ARE offended by others being dressed inappropriately for the MDR.

What is the difference between someone being offended by another person's attire and being offended by another person's lack of attire?

Nothing.

[quote name='shipshape78']This is a Caribbean cruise on the Allure of the Seas in a couple weeks.[/quote]

I will be on The Allure and it would not bother me if you wore the shorts (or your sister wore the shorts) - who cares ... I will be on The Allure in aug - let me know if you have any issues.

[quote name='Jobeth66']Having my breasts bare is not unsanitary, any more than having my arms bare is.

And we've seen multiple times where people have said that anyone who is offended by someone wearing shorts to dinner has a problem - so clearly people ARE offended by others being dressed inappropriately for the MDR.

What is the difference between someone being offended by another person's attire and being offended by another person's lack of attire?

Nothing.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure if I had to sit next to someone who had their breasts out or someone who was wearing shorts - I'd go with the shorts. As I'm sure most people would find it odd that someone has exposed their breasts for dinner. To each his/her own.

Haven't even bothered to read the last 30-40 that are most certainly ridiculous posts. Dress code debate for people who won't let it go lives on. I love shorts!!!!! I hate shorts!!!!! You guys are just too funny, you can all get ready to post the same things on the next dress code thread next week :). I knew this would hit 200 posts........the beat goes on...... Edited by bouhunter

[quote name='bouhunter']Haven't even bothered to read what are certainly a lot of ridiculous posts recently. Dress code debate for people who won't let it go lives on!!!!!!!!! Haha it's just too funny. I knew this would hit 200 posts........the beat goes on......[/QUOTE]

We got a little bit off track, but the message board police were able to regain control and get us pointed back in the right direction. ;)

[quote name='KMVigs']I'm pretty sure if I had to sit next to someone who had their breasts out or someone who was wearing shorts - I'd go with the shorts. As I'm sure most people would find it odd that someone has exposed their breasts for dinner. To each his/her own.[/QUOTE]

And if I had to sit next to someone who was dressed appropriately or someone who was wearing shorts, I'd go with the person dressed appropriately.

Absolutely no different.

[quote name='comxkid']We got a little bit off track, but the message board police were able to regain control and get us pointed back in the right direction. ;)[/quote]

Good to hear.......once and a while the police come through:):D

[quote name='KMVigs']Because that directly affects someone else. [B]Wearing shorts doesn't offend anyone.[/B] Being naked offends someone.

Also, for sanitary reasons.[/quote]
How do you know that "wearing shorts doesn't offend anyone"? I think it's statements like this that are a big part of the problem.

[quote name='time4u2go']How do you know that "wearing shorts doesn't offend anyone"? I think it's statements like this that are a big part of the problem.[/QUOTE]

I think anyone who is so deeply offended by shorts, probably shouldn't go on a ship where people might be wearing shorts.

[quote name='KMVigs']I think anyone who is so deeply offended by shorts, probably shouldn't go on a ship where people might be wearing shorts.[/QUOTE]

By the same logic if it's super important to someone to wear shorts in the MDR at dinner they shouldn't go on a ship that has a rule against it, no? (Please spare me the semantic rule vs suggestion argument)

[quote name='KMVigs']I think anyone who is so deeply offended by shorts, probably shouldn't go on a ship where people might be wearing shorts.[/quote]
Or perhaps if they are offended by people wearing shorts in the MDR at dinner, they should be able to go on a ship where it's against the rules, and have a reasonable expectation that people will follow the rules.

[quote name='BamaGuy44']By the same logic if it's super important to someone to wear shorts in the MDR at dinner they shouldn't go on a ship that has a rule against it, no? (Please spare me the semantic rule vs suggestion argument)[/QUOTE]

It's not that important. THAT'S the thing.

[quote name='Jobeth66']So if I'm comfortable in dressy shorts, I should be allowed to wear them (no matter the rules) because what I wear shouldn't affect other people's dining experience, they should just ignore what I'm wearing and concentrate on themselves, that's the gist of this (and all these) conversations, correct?

Well, I'm a naturalist. I'm most comfortable without my shirt on. So why should I have to wear a shirt in the dining room just to make someone else comfortable? Why can't they just ignore what I'm not wearing, the same as they should ignore what I am? If me not wearing a shirt is bothering them, isn't that their problem? I mean, I'll certainly wear shorts - I wouldn't go fully nude in the MDR, but why should I wear a top? I can wear pretty jewelry to "dress things up".[/quote]
Uh oh! You've touched on the HUGE hole in their argument! The dirty little secret they don't like to admit is that [I]everyone[/I] actually wants some kind of limits to be enforced for MDR dinner attire. They just want them to be THEIR limits rather than the existing RCI limits! "RCI should allow everyone to wear XXXX in the MDR (because I want to wear XXXX!) But they most certainly should NOT be allowed in the MDR at dinner with YYYY attire, because that's offensive to ME!" :cool:
[quote name='KMVigs']Because that directly affects someone else. Wearing shorts doesn't offend anyone. Being naked offends someone. [/quote] Edited by LetsGetWet!

[quote name='LetsGetWet!']Uh oh! You've touched on the HUGE hole in their argument! The dirty little secret they don't like to admit is that [I]everyone[/I] actually wants some kind of limits to be enforced for MDR dinner attire. They just want them to be THEIR limits rather than the existing RCI limits! "RCI should allow everyone to wear XXXX in the MDR (because I want to wear XXXX!) But they most certainly should NOT be allowed in the MDR at dinner with YYYY attire, because that's offensive to ME!" :cool:[/quote]

Actually I'm not offended by nudity, but I do see a difference and I know that you do too. If you expect me to believe that you don't, then you're nuts. It's a hyperbolic argument and it's nonsense.

[quote name='LetsGetWet!']Uh oh! You've touched on the HUGE hole in their argument! The dirty little secret they don't like to admit is that [I]everyone[/I] actually wants some kind of limits to be enforced for MDR dinner attire. They just want them to be THEIR limits rather than the existing RCI limits! "[B]RCI should allow everyone to wear XXXX in the MDR[/B] (because I want to wear XXXX!) But they most certainly should NOT be allowed in the MDR at dinner with YYYY attire, because that's offensive to ME!" :cool:[/QUOTE]
But doesn't RCI ALLOW people to wear shorts in the MDR? Rule, schmule. Is it allowed?

Will RCI allow someone top- (or bottom-)less in the MDR?

I suggest those who feel everyone should follow the guidelines/rules, notify RCI whenever they see someone allowed to violate the rule.

If shorts in the MDR was a big deal to RCI, they'd stop folks at the entrance. Since they (with rare exception) don't, that must mean they're fine with it.

If enough people complain about shorts, RCI will enforce the rule. Until then, these threads do nothing except entertain some and raise the blood pressure of others.

Sigh, it really doesn't matter what anyone's opinion is. The fact is the rule is no shorts in the MDR. If you choose to wear them and are asked to change, then deal with it. Edited by BND

[quote name='S.A.M.J.R.']
If enough people complain about shorts, RCI will enforce the rule. Until then, these threads do nothing except entertain some and raise the blood pressure of others.[/QUOTE]

It is very entertaining to me.:p

[quote name='S.A.M.J.R.']But doesn't RCI ALLOW people to wear shorts in the MDR? Rule, schmule. Is it allowed?

Will RCI allow someone top- (or bottom-)less in the MDR?

I suggest those who feel everyone should follow the guidelines/rules, notify RCI whenever they see someone allowed to violate the rule.

If shorts in the MDR was a big deal to RCI, they'd stop folks at the entrance. Since they (with rare exception) don't, that must mean they're fine with it.

If enough people complain about shorts, RCI will enforce the rule. Until then, these threads do nothing except entertain some and raise the blood pressure of others.[/QUOTE]

They obviously would prefer it if people didn't wear shorts or they wouldn't post signs and guidelines asking people not to wear them. However they choose not to strictly enforce it, which is their right. Instead they rely on people to do the polite thing and follow the rule on their own, so they don't have to make people mad by playing fashion cop. Most people comply on their own because they realize the world isn't designed around their personal preferences. So it works out fine, IMO. Whether or not they change the rule (which they will eventually) is moot.

I agree if enough people complained they would strictly enforce it. That's how policies change. Smoking is the perfect example.

[quote name='anzore']well if upsets you so much, dont patronize RCI.. im your HAL or Celebrity have strict enforcement...but everyone in life has broken at least one rule...so quit being hypocritical of short wearers.....if you did 41 in a 40 mph zone you broke a rule..big deal..its not life or death[/QUOTE]

That is always such a weak argument. Ever heard of "intent"?

Most things aren't life or death. When I go to work, it's not "life or death" if I wear jeans with holes in them, but I can be sent home to change. It's not life or death to be required to wear a shirt and shoes in a store, but you can be refused service.

BTW, [U]everyone[/U] is a hypocrite about something. Edited by BND