Balcony Guarantee??

PBNJ620

My husband and I are loyal to Royal but our son is looking to take a cruise out of the NY/NJ area and so far Norwegian Breakaway seems to be the best for his budget.

Having said that, the room that he has on hold is a guarantee balcony. I have never done this as I have always chosen which room we would get at time of booking.

For those of you who have done this with Norwegian, can you tell me your experience? I honestly don't know what it is. I am assuming that you just don't know your cabin number until sailing??

My husband and I are loyal to Royal but our son is looking to take a cruise out of the NY/NJ area and so far Norwegian Breakaway seems to be the best for his budget.

Having said that, the room that he has on hold is a guarantee balcony. I have never done this as I have always chosen which room we would get at time of booking.

For those of you who have done this with Norwegian, can you tell me your experience? I honestly don't know what it is. I am assuming that you just don't know your cabin number until sailing??

exactly. Won't know until a few weeks before or it could be when you arrive at the Pier. Just know they will NOT switch your cabin if you don't like the area its in thats why its a guarantee

.....it works pretty much the same way on all cruise lines. You get a cabin assigned by NCL. At the least, it will be the category you booked, at best you might get a higher category.

Hope this helps

wasiii

Having never done a booking this way, I had no idea. SO, it could be a pretty bad room though with an obstructed view also? OR he might even get upgraded to a higher category???

Yep you are correct. It's a roll of the dice. Like a box of chocolate "you never know what your gonna get" lol

One thing to note though, you WILL get at least what you reserved. In other words, a window guarantee would not get an inside--- but might get any window, including an obstructed. A balcony would not get a window or an inside, but it might not be an ideal balcony.

For me, the cost savings is worth the risk but I understand the appeal of knowing your room. We booked a GTY for the Breakaway and found out our room assignment about 2 weeks before departure.

I think the best advice would be to ask yourself "Will I be happy with anything in this catagory' no mater the location?" If the answer is no, GTY isn't for you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks! That's a good way to look at it. I'll have to word it to my son that way and see what he says!!!

When you did the balcony guarantee,how did it work out for you? Meaning did you get upgraded?

If I recall, we booked a BD, it was the 2nd cheapest balcony guarantee, and received what would have been a BC. Our "upgrade" was basically the same room on a higher deck. While minor, and may not even have been worth calling an upgrade, it was certainly was appreciated. In my mind, I received a room that cost more than what I originally paid for and was thrilled.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just booked a balcony gty on the Sky for a 4 day cruise. Had never done this either but decided it was a port intensive cruise so why not. We still have 3 months to go and have already been assigned a BB category room.

From the deck plans we are underneath the teen club, so not sure it will be the best but due to the fact we are sailing after school starts, it probably wont be to bad.

That all being said, the price of the Aft balcony cabins have now come down in price and match what we paid for ours, so tomorrow im going to call our PCC (personal cruise consultant) and see if we can upgrade. I will come back and let you know how that works out so you can pass that along to your son as well

Our 'upgrade' on our first cruise, was the same kind of room we had booked but on a higher floor. That's the only time we ever did a GTY. I've always enjoyed picking the room(s) I wanted.

Never cruised NCL either and also booked a guarantee balcony as well for our upcoming Epic sailing. Just my wife and I this time and the price was just to good to turn down. Still though, not picking / knowing our cabin is quite odd for us. Hoping for the best!

We did our first guarantee (after always doing a lot of research and picking the "perfect" place for our room on every other cruise) and it worked out great. We loved the location and there were no problems. It was just the suspense of waiting to know "where" they would put you. :D

You will always get the category you booked and it can only get better from there...meaning you will be upgraded if that category is sold out. :)

My son booked a gty balcony on breakaway. Two weeks before sailing he saw the price drop. So he called NCL (which he booked from originally) and they upgraded him to a mini suite with large balcony. They sail this week. They gave him his room number too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Having never done a booking this way, I had no idea. SO, it could be a pretty bad room though with an obstructed view also? OR he might even get upgraded to a higher category???

NCL does not have any obstructed balconies. He might get a location under/over or near something a bit noisy. But not obstructed.

Never cruised NCL either and also booked a guarantee balcony as well for our upcoming Epic sailing. Just my wife and I this time and the price was just to good to turn down. Still though, not picking / knowing our cabin is quite odd for us. Hoping for the best!

It's funny, your sailing the week right before us on the Epic. I actually bumped down to a BX guarantee because I couldn't justify spending an extra $500. because I get to pick my room. I was able to pay the cruise off, pay gratuities and still have some left over from my original price. The Epic prices around Thanksgiving are ridiculously low. $1300. for 3 on a guarantee... sure why not! I'm on the ship right?