Pride of America rail-spacing on balcony

klepton

Curious if anyone can allay my fears. We're currently booked on the Pride of America in the Deluxe Owner's Suite (though I'd imaging the rails are consistent for most rooms), and I was looking at this video about the room:

At about 3:10 in that video he walks out on the balcony. The rail-spacing looks quite large in this video. We'll have our then 3 year old son with us, and from what I see in the video it looks like he could easily climb through there.

I simply can't believe that would be up to code, especially for an American-flagged ship. Anyone have any first hand experience that can let me know if that's maybe just an illusion?

Thanks!

Edited by klepton

Curious if anyone can allay my fears. We're currently booked on the Pride of America in the Deluxe Owner's Suite (though I'd imaging the rails are consistent for most rooms), and I was looking at this video about the room:

At about 3:10 in that video he walks out on the balcony. The rail-spacing looks quite large in this video. We'll have our then 3 year old son with us, and from what I see in the video it looks like he could easily climb through there.

I simply can't believe that would be up to code, especially for an American-flagged ship. Anyone have any first hand experience that can let me know if that's maybe just an illusion?

Thanks!

Here is a pic of 12006 which clearly shows open spaces and no plexiglass which really surprises me as I thought all balcony cabins had plexiglass, while some of the open walking areas (not the pool areas or the higher decks as they all have high glass panes for wind protection) there are open areas because I have used them to put my foot up while standing.

363720973_12006BlaconynoPlewxglass.jpg.28acce858bfd7865dcf438da2c17cbc1.jpg

We just sailed on the POA in May in a balcony room and will confirm there is no plexiglass on the rails. I didn't perceive it as a safety issue as the gaps are fairly small.

Sent from my Windows phone using Tapatalk

OP

I had a question about a specific suite, I emailed socialmedia@ncl.com and three days later received the measurements I asked for as well as photos . The rep at socialmedia contacted the ship and the staff on the ship did the measurements, took some pictures and sent them to me. This was several months ago, not in the distant past.

Having sailed with my kids that age, I would absolutely ask for the measurements to ease my mind. While there are child locks, we had a balcony on a different line with a broken child lock. It was fixed within a day , but still...

I was very impressed with the speed of the response and the pictures, and mine was not a matter of safety.

Good luck

Nora.

Thanks everyone! And thanks for the tip DrNora, I'll be sure to contact them!

I'll report back when I get an answer, just so anyone who happens upon this thread later can see the answer.

We sailed in November and there wasn't plexiglass, but you have already been told that. I'd like to add that the doors to the balcony were rather stubborn and not something a three year old could open on their own.