Embarkation Day- Baggage Delivery Oasis - any tricks?

Has to be small enough to go through their scanner before you board or sometimes a scanner is on board.

Nope. I'll take any size bag on board. Two years ago, they made me carry my own golf clubs on board. They were packed in a travel bag the airlines will check, but the porters said RCI wouldn't let them take them anymore out of risk of damage. So, there I was, stuck lugging my golf bag through the entire cue, on board and up to my loft on the 17th deck. If they can inconvenience me by making me take that monstrosity on board, I flatly refused to hand over a bag because they claim it's too big!:mad:

We have always gotten our luggage within 10 minutes of arriving at our cabin.

Just lay down for a pre dinner nap and your luggage will arrive, guaranteed.:p

Yeah, that claim about C&A Status making a difference is nonsense. It's a complete crapshoot. Like I said, just bring the bags on board yourself. The ten minutes of dragging the bag to your room is totally worth it when it means being able to unpack on your own schedule.

Nice of you to say what I wrote is nonsense... Maybe because I tip the porters well.... but several times porters have noticed my D+ tags and have placed my case in an expedited position. You can doubt it all you like... but I will continue to tip well... and receive my luggage in good order. Oh.. and next time you are on board and talking with the hotel director you might ask, you might be surprised.

To insure prompt deliver of your luggage... book the Royal or at least an upper suite. Your C&A status (P or D+) will also get your priority luggage delivery. Even with that... it can be a crap shoot. In the "old" days luggage most always never arrived until after dinner. Don't worry... be happy!!!

Nice of you to say what I wrote is nonsense... Maybe because I tip the porters well.... but several times porters have noticed my D+ tags and have placed my case in an expedited position. You can doubt it all you like... but I will continue to tip well... and receive my luggage in good order. Oh.. and next time you are on board and talking with the hotel director you might ask, you might be surprised.

You seem to be having some trouble making up your mind. What is this mysterious "practice" for expedited delivery? Is it booking a Suite? Is it being D+? Or is it tipping the porters? You can't even seem to make up your own mind.:confused:

To insure prompt deliver of your luggage... book the Royal or at least an upper suite. Your C&A status (P or D+) will also get your priority luggage delivery. Even with that... it can be a crap shoot. In the "old" days luggage most always never arrived until after dinner. Don't worry... be happy!!!

So is there a new VIP status I am missing.:rolleyes:

I fall into of all of the categories you posted and never heard of Priority delivery!!

Booked in RS, D+ and I tip very well..

Did someone forget to send me the email...

Happy Days..

You seem to be having some trouble making up your mind. What is this mysterious "practice" for expedited delivery? Is it booking a Suite? Is it being D+? Or is it tipping the porters? You can't even seem to make up your own mind.:confused:

You neglected to comment on my suggestion that you ask the Hotel Director. I have no trouble with my original post or my statements. You do. You are wrong. You are also confused... that doesn't surprise me. When I have stayed in suites I have received expedited delivery of luggage. I have had porters notice my D+ tags and they have placed my cases with expedited luggage. I tip well. None of this is confusing. I was just offering suggestions to the OP. You are free to offer your suggestions. And you are free to disagree that what I have said is true... but then again... you would be wrong.

You neglected to comment on my suggestion that you ask the Hotel Director. I have no trouble with my original post or my statements. You do. You are wrong. You are also confused... that doesn't surprise me. When I have stayed in suites I have received expedited delivery of luggage. I have had porters notice my D+ tags and they have placed my cases with expedited luggage. I tip well. None of this is confusing. I was just offering suggestions to the OP. You are free to offer your suggestions. And you are free to disagree that what I have said is true... but then again... you would be wrong.

I often agree with your positions here, but on this one you seem to be on very thin ice and going against an awful lot of accumulated experience from CC'ers...

We are D+ and never had priority luggage delivery.
That is because it is not a program or benefit or C&A status. I don't know why such a seasoned person would have made that claim on here. There is no expedited luggage delivery program available to purchase or indicated by C&A status on any ship. It really is luck of the draw as to when luggage gets loaded and sorted on the ship.
I've not heard of priority luggage delivery based on C&A status on Royal.
Yeah, that claim about C&A Status making a difference is nonsense.
So is there a new VIP status I am missing.:rolleyes:

I fall into of all of the categories you posted and never heard of Priority delivery!!

Porters do not work for the cruise line, they work for the port. In Florida, you are not even supposed to tip the porters. Once the bags are on the ship the guy you tipped on the pier has nothing to do with when your bags show up at your cabin.

I have no doubt the guy who sorts and delivers the luggage on your deck will use a preference for cabin and C&A class, but that's not the guy you gave that generous tip to. Some ports, such as San Juan, have a special drop off area for Diamond and above, but Bayonne your bags go on a rack with the rest of the bags.

There is some reality to preference, but very little.

I am not that concerned about when I get my bags (although I would like them early), as long as I get them......:p

If I don't get them, then that is another story altogether. :rolleyes::eek:

Gwen :)

LOL! Yeah, I guess it could always be worse! I'm rather OCD, and I like to get into my stateroom and get settled asap. So I don't personally want to have to wait for my bags.

So hypothetically every one on board is the same status. Do you really think they then go through every single bag to see which bag belongs to which cabin and pull out those cabins first:eek: no one would ever get their luggage:confused:

The bags go to porters. It then goes through security. The porters have NO control on the bag once through security. If your bag gets pulled to one side for extra screening it doesn't suddenly go back to the front of the line. As they get screened generally speaking your bags will get separated. They then, once finished going through screening get put into sections as per the luggage tags you have on them I.E. which section they are being delivered to. They are semi organized before being loaded so they are are not being transported on board needlessly to wrong decks etc.

It is the cabin stewards onboard that deliver, and not necessarily your cabin steward. They do not have homing systems built into them to determine which case to deliver first. First on, first delivered. Get it out the way for all the thousands of other cases coming onboard.

And before you ask YES I am Diamond Plus, YES I regularly stay in suites. YES I regularly have one case turn up before another. And. YES I do see other cabins that are not suites. get their cases before us a lot of the time. It doesn't bother us. The case turns up when it turns up. Providing we get them is all that matters. (And yes we use D+ tags)

What is supposed to happen is called a plan. What actually happens to the masses is called reality:rolleyes:

Edited by Spurschick

I'm curious...how can you tell that your luggage has been placed in an "expedited position" or with "expedited luggage"? Is there a sign or a room somewhere that you can see indicating this? Does the porter just tell you this after you tip him? Is it just that you get your luggage early, so you think that it's been expedited? How do you know for sure?

Edited by time4u2go

I'm curious...how can you tell that your luggage has been placed in an "expedited position"? Is there a sign or a room somewhere that you can see indicating this? Does the porter just tell you this after you tip him? How can you be sure?

And I'm sure the porter says that to everyone that tips him;)

Porters do not work for the cruise line, they work for the port. ~~I am well aware of this~~

In Florida, you are not even supposed to tip the porters. Where did you get this information? Although you are not required to tip porters, I choose to do so. I tip anyone doing a job that I would never want to do. The porters often remember me, and provide excellent service. IMHO they deserve tips.

Once the bags are on the ship the guy you tipped on the pier has nothing to do with when your bags show up at your cabin. I am also very aware of this... and never said they had anything to do with delivery of bags to the cabin.

I have no doubt the guy who sorts and delivers the luggage on your deck will use a preference for cabin and C&A class, but that's not the guy you gave that generous tip to. Your doubts are noted... but my cases arrive early and in good order.

Some ports, such as San Juan, have a special drop off area for Diamond and above, but Bayonne your bags go on a rack with the rest of the bags.

There is some reality to preference, but very little.

I hope my notes above are well taken.

I guess until I am lucky enough to discover the super-secret-known-only-to-LindaO expedited luggage delivery service, I'll just stick to my current M.O. and bring my bags with me.:rolleyes:

Besides, it's still the quickest way...

Nothing "super-secret", it is all listed above... but if you prefer to think I'm just lucky that is okay too~~~ :D

I'm curious...how can you tell that your luggage has been placed in an "expedited position" or with "expedited luggage"? Is there a sign or a room somewhere that you can see indicating this? Does the porter just tell you this after you tip him? Is it just that you get your luggage early, so you think that it's been expedited? How do you know for sure?

How are you sure about anything? I only know that my bags are well handled and arrive early. You don't have to believe me. You can make all the jokes you want. But, next time you cruise... drop off your bags... tip the porter or don't tip the porter... but ask him/her. Also, next conversation with the hotel director, ask. I tip... and I tip well. If you don't tip that is your choice. I only see good things from tipping.

How are you sure about anything? I only know that my bags are well handled and arrive early. You don't have to believe me. You can make all the jokes you want. But, next time you cruise... drop off your bags... tip the porter or don't tip the porter... but ask him/her. Also, next conversation with the hotel director, ask. I tip... and I tip well. If you don't tip that is your choice. I only see good things from tipping.

What exactly does "well handled" mean? Not damaged? Or is there some other definition? If it means "not damaged", I'd guess that well over 99% of bags are "well handled". And probably half could be considered to have arrived "early".

You still have yet to state how you KNOW your bags are "expedited". Or more to the point, how do you know yours are handled any differently than anyone else's? Are they marked with tags or something? Arriving undamaged (well handled?) and early proves nothing.

Oh, and the only two things I'm sure about are death and taxes.

Edited by time4u2go

We all tip, and tip well, you may tip much more than me:D

I do not think it is tipping that really is at the fore-front here.. There are plenty of threads w.r.t that topic. Each to their own on this.

The C&A status and priority bag handling because of being D+ or Pinnacle or being in a suite caught my eye. As if good for the goose, good for the gander

And I want that "Perk" if it exists.

As I will be meeting with Concierge at embarkation to take me in the secret elevator up to my RS.. I will ask him to speak to the porters to expedite my baggage to my RS.

Now if I could take my baggage (large cases) through security, then in theory I could just get the Concierge to take them for me.

I will also tell the porter I am in the RS and he needs to put my cases in the expedite area, so Concierge can easily locate them.. I would not for the life of me want someone to search through the 1000's of cases just to locate mine.

In all honesty, as long as my cases are in my room on the 1st night.. I really don't mind.;)

imagejpg1_zps00df475c.jpg

I am sorry I asked the question!!! Hopefully we can all say goodnight and dream about our future cruises & remember how fortunate we are to take them!! As to the bags - they will arrive when they arrive!!

I am sorry I asked the question!!! Hopefully we can all say goodnight and dream about our future cruises & remember how fortunate we are to take them!! As to the bags - they will arrive when they arrive!!

Never be sorry for asking a question...it was a valid one...I'll never understand the meanness of this forum sometimes. But in my experience, your bags will get there pretty much on time, barring any issues. Have a GREAT cruise and enjoy :)

I hope my notes above are well taken.

We are all grownups. Just because we have not seen an expedited luggage bin in Florida does not mean it doesn't exist. It does exist in San Juan however. We have often asked our cabin attendant to retrieve our bags, most times with great success.

You should do some research about the longshoreman in Florida. There are signs posted that say no tipping. These longshoreman make $70K-$100K per year and they often hint that bags won't make it on the ship without a tip. They have also tried to intimidate my wife when we boarded the Allure. With that behavior, I find it more likely they are lying to you. Sorry, that's my opinion based on what I have witnessed and read here on CC.

Enjoy your future cruises.

You should do some research about the longshoreman in Florida. There are signs posted that say no tipping. These longshoreman make $70K-$100K per year and they often hint that bags won't make it on the ship without a tip. They have also tried to intimidate my wife when we boarded the Allure. With that behavior, I find it more likely they are lying to you. Sorry, that's my opinion based on what I have witnessed and read here on CC.

Enjoy your future cruises.

Actually, Florida is a right to work state. I am not saying that you haven't had Union workers at the port, but we are a Right to Work State and that person taking your bag may or may not be in a Union. In all of my cruises from Florida I have never, not once, been intimidated or felt intimidated to deliver a tip. More often, than not, the porters are more than helpful. The signs that I have seen do not say not to tip... but rather that tips are not required. A BIG difference. I will continue to use porters and I will continue to tip. On our Cruise on the Oasis the porter waited patiently while we waited for an attendant push my mom's wheel chair to our transportation. He was more than kind and grateful for the tip. Good for them if they are making 6 figures... I don't know where you got those figures but if they are true... good for them. They are doing a job that I would never want to do and they make my life much easier.

I too hope you enjoy your next cruise...

PS... if you are at all interested in what the porters make in Florida... take a look at this link... there are no 6 figures here... http://www.usawage.com/fl/baggage_porters_and_bellhops-salary-in-florida.php

Edited by LindaO