How close to sailing are e-tickets issued

bogofman

We have bought our air through the cruise line several times. Our e-docs were always issued shortly after final payment. We also got our air confirmations and seat assignments. Luggage tags cannot be printed until closer to sail date, however.

Margee

It shouldn't matter, but this summer it seems to. I had three rooms with 5 air tickets through Celebrity for our June 14 sailing, with June 10 flights. Our edocs didn't start becoming available until much later than expected. It even surprised my travel agent how late they were. It turned out that while I had ordered and paid for flights 6 months earlier, Choice Air didn't actually ticket our flights until 30 days out. That delayed our edocs and luggage tags.

Your situation may be different. That was my experience in May and June. Gets really annoying when everyone else on the roll call seems to have their edocs!

Are you talking about airline E-Tickets or cruise E-tickets?

For Airline - we've always been able to get our airline booking codes immediately after booking (we've chosen our flights through Choice Air the last few times we've done this) and we've immediately been able to go to the airline's web site to manage our reservation including seat selection.

For Cruise: If you're booked then you need no ticket. However there is an Xpress pass available which is highly recommended to expedite entry into the cruise terminal and check-in at the port and also a information booklet referred to on these boards as E-docs and still called "Guest Ticket Booklet" by Celebrity even though it contains no tickets. You should be able to print your Xpress pass by the time you make final payment by completing your online check-in. The E-docs information booklet just appears one day and there seems to be no rhyme or reason for it. Sometimes E-docs appear as early as 7 weeks out and sometimes much closer to the cruise date.

If you book direct with Celebrity you seem to get your edocs a lot earlier than when you book with a TA.

We sail on Eclipse on August 16th and have been told by TA that we will receive our edocs about 2/3 weeks before travel, when I said it did not leave much time to get luggage labels, she said labels would be included with the edocs.

Regards

Bryn.

If you book direct with Celebrity you seem to get your edocs a lot earlier than when you book with a TA.

We sail on Eclipse on August 16th and have been told by TA that we will receive our edocs about 2/3 weeks before travel, when I said it did not leave much time to get luggage labels, she said labels would be included with the edocs.

Regards

Bryn.

I'm not sure how it works in the UK, but in the US, when you receive your eDocs, there will be a line item below that where you can order your luggage tags. They usually arrive about 30-45 days prior to sailing.

I never download my e-Docs. They are just there to provide information about the cruise that you may or may not know. I just take a look at them, but never print them out.

Now, the Xpress pass is completely different. You need to print that out and bring it with you at check in.

I'm not sure how it works in the UK, but in the US, when you receive your eDocs, there will be a line item below that where you can order your luggage tags. They usually arrive about 30-45 days prior to sailing.

Unfortunately the luggage labels are only delivered if you live in America or I believe also if you pay to have your documents posted instead of emailed.

Yes I was referring to the e-documents,

so the airline tickets (e flight tickets) are not included in this info pack?

I'll need to dig out the original emails and see if I can login to the airline web site,

I booked online with Celebrity here in the UK.

This is the first time we have booked flights via the cruise line, so assumed all would come together in the final document pack.

Cannot print the luggage tags yet even though I have (checked in on line and printed the set sail pass.)

Yes I was referring to the e-documents,

so the airline tickets (e flight tickets) are not included in this info pack?

I'll need to dig out the original emails and see if I can login to the airline web site,

I booked online with Celebrity here in the UK.

This is the first time we have booked flights via the cruise line, so assumed all would come together in the final document pack.

Cannot print the luggage tags yet even though I have (checked in on line and printed the set sail pass.)

The flights should be listed in the E-docs package. But we've always gotten the flight identification codes at the same time we initially selected our flights on the Choice Air website. Don't know if the procedures for your booking are the same. I went back and checked my records from the last time we did this and the codes appeared on a screen capture from selecting our flights but not on the email confirmation from choice air. Then also appeared in the E-Docs which we were able to view, and download as a PDF file, print 6 weeks before our cruise. For the record that cruise was booked through a TA but we did our flights directly on the Choice air website.

If you want this info I'd call Celebrity. If you know your flights then you might be able to go to your airline's website and look up the record using your name and flight info. I know I can on the airline we usually use but don't know if this is available on other airline websites.

Edited by Lsimon

I think strickly speaking you don t even need e-tickets for airlines. As soon as you have your reference number (locator id) from airline, you can check in on-line, etc.

We have travelled before in Europe without docs at all and without prior on-line check-in, just showing our passport or ID to airline counter and of course knowing flight which we were on.

Of course it would help that you have docs in case there is something wrong with your booking or you come to counter and they can not find your reservation !

For my upcoming trip, I have only received confirmation by Choice Air, not e-tickets. I have logged in to the airline with the booking nr., get and print out details and ticket number there and can now manage my bookings there (seat reservation, etc. as far as the tariff paid allows of course) and check-in on-line 24 hours before. I print out boarding pass and that is all I really need.

Edited by Michidoeme

Wine-O, Myrtle Beach, my favourite golfing destination.

I got in touch with my TA as some in the UK were getting their edocs over the last week, but it seems because I refuse to go green and have everything sent through my computer, the TA prints out the edocs and luggage labels and posts them to me about 2/3 weeks before the cruise.

Regards

Bryn.