Carnival Cashless Cruising?

I have cruised with P&O previously and always loaded some cold-hard-cash onto my on-board account on the first day (I don't like the credit card hold system). I have noticed with Carnival that they will put a hold on your debit card also? There is no mention of being able to load cash into your on-board account either, even though there is an ATM on board?

From the Carnival FAQ page:

"Welcome to cashless cruising! All shipboard expenses are charged to your Sail & Sign Card. Your Sail & Sign Card is linked to your on-board account and can be settled by credit card (Visa, MasterCard or AMEX) or debit card (Visa or MasterCard). Debit cards may act as a credit card, whilst using the available funds in your bank account. When using credit or debit cards, we obtain pre-authorisations and some banks hold these for up to 30 days. A service fee may apply if you use a Visa, MasterCard or AMEX card. If a service fee applies it will also be displayed on-board. During your cruise additional holds will be added if your Sail & Sign® account exceeds the amount of deposit Carnival has on file. If you presented a credit card, this will reduce the amount available on your credit card for other purchases. If you presented a debit/cheque cashing card, the hold will restrict the available cash in your checking account. All charges will be billed to the credit card or debit/check cashing card at the end of the cruise. Please note that Carnival Cruise Lines will not be held responsible for any bank-imposed overage or insufficient funds charged on debit or credit cards.

ATM facilities are available onboard."

I think I am confusing myself, but can anyone straighten this out for me?

Edited by MISHELL1968

Cashless is referring more to anyone buying anything on board will not be able to use cash (i.e. drinks, etc.). Everything goes onto your account. How you pay your account can still be determined by yourself.:D

Thanks :) I thought as much but the more I read the more ambiguous it became! :D

Ain't that the truth - not that I have travelled Carnival - but we have a "holiday card (e-bay as well)" and use that card for on board credit - just load it up - and away we go. Everyone is different - but that works for us - saves messing with cash deposits and topping up. The "holiday card - visa low limit" works well. :p No surprises on our "everyday cards" Just one special card ;)

Edited by dizzy1948

[/color]

Ain't that the truth - not that I have travelled Carnival - but we have a "holiday card (e-bay as well)" and use that card for on board credit - just load it up - and away we go. Everyone is different - but that works for us - saves messing with cash deposits and topping up. The "holiday card - visa low limit" works well. :p No surprises on our "everyday cards" Just one special card ;)

I use a Credit card that is soley for overseas travel and I load it up like a debit card. I also gift myself OBC prior to the cruise.:D

I put a chunk of cash down when I got my S&S card at embarkation. If I ran out of money during the cruise I had the option to add mroe (either through guest services, or the ATM), and as I spent no-where near as much as I thought I would, I got a cash refund on the evening before we disembarked.

You can check your balance at any time, either through the ATM (there are 3 on board from memory), at guest services, or with the TV in your room.

Edited by MadWoofter

• 4 months later...

I'm just go through setting up my Sail & Sign account for my Carnival cruise and it says there is a 1.5% Credit/Debit card fee.

Does anyone know if this has always been the case with Carnival?

There was no CC fee when we cruised with RCI.

Edited by cruisine21

I'm just go through setting up my Sail & Sign account for my Carnival cruise and it says there is a 1.5% Credit/Debit card fee.

Does anyone know if this has always been the case with Carnival?

There was no CC fee when we cruised with RCI.

i think you will find on the aussie ships you will pay a surcharge so if you can use cash its a lot better