Fly Allegiant to PIE

We were planning to fly via Southwest to Tampa from Atlanta (no baggage fees). However, I just saw that Allegiant flies from our home town to St.Pete (PIE). We would have driven to Atlanta the day before and paid for a hotel there. With Allegiant, we would fly down on Saturday (cruise departs on Sunday) so pay for a hotel that night.

- Has anyone flown Allegiant to St.pete? How is the service?

- how much would a taxi/shuttle be from PIE to Tampa?

- would we be able to be at the airport by 11:00 when the cruise returns? (They REQUIRE that you're at the gate 1 1/2 hours prior to departure)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were planning to fly via Southwest to Tampa from Atlanta (no baggage fees). However, I just saw that Allegiant flies from our home town to St.Pete (PIE). We would have driven to Atlanta the day before and paid for a hotel there. With Allegiant, we would fly down on Saturday (cruise departs on Sunday) so pay for a hotel that night.

- Has anyone flown Allegiant to St.pete? How is the service?

- how much would a taxi/shuttle be from PIE to Tampa?

- would we be able to be at the airport by 11:00 when the cruise returns? (They REQUIRE that you're at the gate 1 1/2 hours prior to departure)

I like Allegiant but if you screw up and miss your flight or your flight is cancelled, you are SOL.

St. Pete airport only has small regional carriers fly in and out like Allegiant. None of the big boys use that airport so if you miss your flight, you are going to be in St. Pete for at least one more day minimum.

I don't see a problem getting to the airport at 11am.

My family flies Allegiant all the time from Asheville to PIE and hasn't had a single problem.

My nephew is a pilot for Allegiant.

Just know that the number of flights to/from any city is VERY limited. We used them once to/from Vegas. But really had to base our return date on when they fly. Too there will be additional fees for the normal amenities. Check those out when pricing.

Like BlueHerons said, they are reliable and safe. And are doing very well. Just make sure you don't miss your flight. And hope they don't cancel yours as you WILL be waiting at least a day for the next flight.

My daughter just returned from a trip to Orlando on Allegiant and said the service was fine. Actually the flight flies into the Sanford, Fl. airport. Only problem was when they checked in for their return flight it was scheduled to depart about 4.5 hours late.

I flew FLL-IAG a few times before Allegiant dropped that route; was cheaper than FLL-BUF on Southwest even after paying for bags. But a couple things to note:

Bag limit is 40 lbs not 50--would be a dealbreaker for my family flying to a cruise.

And even if you pay the fee for advance seat assignments they will try to move you--in one case separating the three of us (and not refunding the fee) to accommodate a group of nine or ten who didn't pay for theirs. I stood my ground and they put us back together.

Edited by fishywood

We love flying on Allegiant when ever possible. We have a local airport near us.....it is very convenient.

There are downsides to Allegiant as well.....

40 lb limit on checked bags

You have to pay for Carry-on and Checked Bags

You may want to pay for seat assignments to ensure that your group sits together on the flight

If the dates match up of when you are looking to travel and the prices are right then I would fly with Allegiant

The dates line up perfectly. My only concern is the chance of them delaying/canceling the return flight. We don't have to worry about snow or anything - it's next month. But my husband has to be at work the next morning and I already have patient's scheduled the next day. How often does the flight get moved to a totally different day?

If your flight has any maintenence problems they will have to fly in a replacement plane from another airport. We have experienced two overnight delays on the route between Eugene, OR and Mesa, AZ. LOVE that route, little airport to little airport, but the equipment has proven unreliable and there are no "extra" aircraft at these small airports. Build in LOTS of extra time flying w/Allegiant.