Nieuw Amsterdam: Ask Away

SeaWatch

Another quick question. How was the weather in general? As I said we are going in August and I am already starting to give some thought about what we are going to take. I am not sure if we take jackets or not. I know it is going to be hot but just thinking about the space jackets take (light ones or fleeces).

We are headed to Belgium for a few days afterwards.

We did not need a jacket or fleece in mid-June. 3 years ago I was in Paris in July and no jacket needed there, so you might be lugging unnecessary clothes if you took jackets/fleece.

Perhaps other cruisers can join in with their experiences?

Hi , I am going on the nieuw Amsterdam on 4th august for the 24 nights. What would be the best way to see Taormina . Book a tour or wait till you get there and use a local driver?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PS: our Taormina taxi guy was great - our travel partners got his card. If they still have it I will send it your way. I would definitely use him again.

Another quick question. How was the weather in general? As I said we are going in August and I am already starting to give some thought about what we are going to take. I am not sure if we take jackets or not. I know it is going to be hot but just thinking about the space jackets take (light ones or fleeces).

We are headed to Belgium for a few days afterwards.

In the med, you are unlikely to need a cost; If you are going to Belgium at the middle to end of August, you could well need a coat. However there is no guarantee that it will be warm or cool, it really depends what blows in.

Edited by Surreyman

I would recommend a tour if you want to see more than the town of Taormina. We took a taxi, but they were hard to find. We waited 45 minutes to get one. Taormina is very walkable and a beautiful place.

Thanks for that. I've just looked at the date and it is a Sunday which is not a good thing as that eliminates all the public transport.

In the med, you are unlikely to need a cost; If you are going to Belgium at the middle to end of August, you could well need a coat. However there is no guarantee that it will be warm or cool, it really depends what blows in.

Belgium is a risk. We live in Holland and summer rain is quite common. Even lower temperatures are possible so fleece/umbrella might be nice.

Thanks for that. I've just looked at the date and it is a Sunday which is not a good thing as that eliminates all the public transport.

Mario Campagna

Company: SERVIZIO TAXI

Work Tel: 00118200011

Work Tel: +393601,11246

Work Fax: 0942374931

Address: Mario Campagna

Address: 98037 Letojanni-Me-Sicily_Italy

I'm on the Sept 9th sailing which is Venice to Barcelona. Flight leaves Barcelona at 2:30 and wondering how late they let you stay on board. Not sure whether to book HAL transfer or use private transfer like Barcelona day trips.

I'm on the Sept 9th sailing which is Venice to Barcelona. Flight leaves Barcelona at 2:30 and wondering how late they let you stay on board. Not sure whether to book HAL transfer or use private transfer like Barcelona day trips.

You will be off the ship as soon as HAL can get you off. Figure 9:30 as the latest time, but it could be as late as 10:00 AM.

Remember, the stewards need to clean every cabin thoroughly to be ready when new passengers board at 11:30. They need all the time possible.

I keep hearing about this $70 for unlimited laundry but I can't find where to buy it. Is it something you do once you are on board?

If you contact guest services by email and give your cruise info they will tell you the fist for your cruise. Ours was purchased on board.

Thank you for the number. Did you have him for the day or half day and can you remember what he charged. Could find another couple to share the load.

We actually flagged him down on the road: he took us from the Port to Taormina and arranged a time to get us. He was there right on time. I think it was €30, but on the return he mentioned he does day tours. He even said he was Robert DeNiro's driver for a week during the film festival :)

[quote name='lynn2002']70$ for unlimited laundry is very good. Did you book it prior to the cruise or when you were on the ship?

Do you remember what films they were showing?[/QUOTE]

There was always a movie or 2 on the tv in the cabin. In the theater HAL often showed films related to the port, like DaVinci Code at Rome and Pompeii at Naples.