Help with Itinerary

SactoSteve

Greetings all,

My wife and I are interested in taking a Radisson cruise in the next year but need some help selecting the itinerary. The routes that have caught my eye are Alaska, New England/Canada, and the Caribbean. Europe sounds wonderful but is maybe a bit more than our budget will allow. We're pretty casual folks, looking more for relaxation than excitement in a vacation. We did an Alaskan cruise on Celebrity several years ago and had a great time but are looking for something with less of a herd mentality.

Any feedback anyone can provide on the pros & cons of the different itinerarys would be much appreciated. Also, how do people like the Spotlight cruises? Is this something to aim for or is it just a nice bonus?

Thanks.

I am unable to comment on your proposed itineraries.

If relaxation is an important consideration,why not consider a transatlantic cruise- Ft.Lauderdale/Madeira.

Last April,on the Voyager,the ship was half full,so it had a very relaxed atmosphere,and the "Spotlight on Frank Sinatra",complete with Big Band,was a very enjoyable bonus.

One can either disembark in Madeira,and spend a few days there,or,as we did,continue on the next cruise sector.

The Mariner cruise to Alaska is far from the herd mentality - with 700 passengers, there's no lines and plenty of room. It's also very informal - wearing a jacket at Signatures is the height of formality - and not required. No formal nights, no tuxes. The Tracy Arm excursion gets you up close and personal with the Sawyer Glacier, and the big ships don't get near Tracy Arm. Caribbean can also be nice, but it's more like staying at a fancy hotel that's on a different island every morning when you wake up. Hope this helps.

David

Thanks for the recommendation on the transatlantic cruise. I'm not sure I'm ready for that much relaxation. We do like a chance to get off the boat and wander around a bit. That Tracy Arm excursion sounds incredible. That's much more our speed.

Does anyone have any insights on the New England/Canada itinerary? I don't see any departures scheduled for 2006. Does that mean Radisson's abandoning that route?

Steve

I think (without even looking) if they have done away with the Northeast itinerary it is because the Diamond has left the fleet and there is one less ship. Maybe the Navigator is filling the Diamond's gap. I don't know. SO, if you are left with Alaska and the Caribbean, I would suggest Alaska. The Caribbean that I knew back in the 70's and 80's is gone, because of cruise ships, and now I am a cruiser! For most ports (St. Thomas, Aruba, et.al you will find the same shops you find in your local mall, crowds at the beaches, and no "secret" places to call your own. Better to book an excursion in Alaska where at least the boat will not be more than full, and you can have beautiful scenery and see some wildlife on the way.

The New England - Canada cruises are very nice, particularly in Fall. This year (2005) Radisson is offering specials. These are from its web site:

Canada & New England - Free Air plus 2-night Hotel Stay - OR- $750 Off Your Fare - Your choice of dates for this special offer aboard Seven Seas Navigator

In autumn, the Seven Seas Navigator offers a stunning series of fall foliage cruises between New York and Montreal, exploring rustic fishing villages snuggled alongside storybook harbors and drifting past landscapes ablaze with the colors of fall. Choose from Free Economy Class Air and complimentary 2-night hotel stay in New York including tickets to a Broadway show -OR- $750 off the cruise fare.

Canada / New England 2005 Departure Dates:

Sept 7, 2005 - New York to Montreal 10 day/ 9 night cruise Fares from $3,971 per guest

September 16, 2005 Montreal to New York 9 day/ 8 night cruise Fares from $3,521per guest

September 24, 2005 New York to Montreal 8 day/ 7 night cruise Fares from $3,146 per guest

October 01, 2005 Montreal to New York 8 day/ 7 night cruise Fares from $3,146 per guest

October 8, 2005 New York to Montreal 8 day/ 7 night cruise Fares from $3,146 per guest

October 15, 2005 Montreal to New York 8 day/ 7 night cruise Fares from $3,146 per guest

Not knowing where you are from, a suggestion: If you haven't seen (or seen enough of) the spectatular Fall foliage color in the eastern US, suggest that you put one of the three October departures with a New York City to Montreal (or reverse) together with the day-rail Amtrak rail trip up the Hudson River and through the Adirondack Mountains of New York State. Southbound, the train leaves at 9:50 AM, northbound at 8:15 AM, and costs around $65.00 one way pp. In either direction, Amtrak's Adirondack train runs during the day, so you will enjoy spectatular scenery:

Montreal - Lake Champlain - Adirondack Mountains - Albany - Hudson Valley - New York. The Adirondack travels daily from New York City, through the wine country of the Hudson Valley through the Adirondack Mountains and along the shore of Lake Champlain into Montreal. The Adirondack takes part in Trails & Rails, a partnership between Amtrak and the National Park Service. This program provides educational opportunities to Amtrak passengers to foster appreciation of America's natural and cultural heritage. Volunteer park rangers provide a narrative for the great bulk of the trip, between Croton-Harmon and Plattsburgh, NY. You can download the Amtrak Adirondack’s Guide from http://www.amtrak.com/pdf/routeguideadirondack.pdf

Archived