Choosing what to do in each port

nbhwarrior

Hi CC

My wife and I are doing a southern carribean tour in February.

We are stopping at Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada, Barbados, St Lucia and Antigua. We have been to Aruba, Barbados before. I would like to ask out of the four remaining ports, (our budget will stretch to two tours on these islands, and the rset will DIY), which ones are the best to do a tour on and which ones can do DIY and get best exprience, I know people might think it all depends on what you want, but I am interested in hearing peoples opinions and expirience of these ports, e.g. would it be better to do snorkeling tour on bonaire, and island tour of Grenada, our go to the beach in Antigua and Grenada and do Island tour in ST Lucia. Another example might be we did a cruise where we did stingray in Grand Cayman and tubing in belize, this was the general recommendations from cruise critic members, and we did other things DIY in cozumel etc.

look forwand to peoples recommendations

Thank You:)

Antigua is definitely an excellent beach day. We just grabbed a cab from the ship. Same fellow came back to pick up our group. We did not pay him until we got back to the ship. :D

In St Lucia, I would recommend Cosol Tours. An all inclusive all day tour of the island including banana plantation, beach visit, buffet brunch with island specialties, avisit to the volcano and mudbaths, and soft drinks, water, and local beer all day. Cost was $65 pp, definitely worth every penny. For sure the best tour we have ever taken.

Best is to Google him and email him to arrange it ahead of time.

Enjoy your cruise.

Although we seldom to ever do any excursions (we prefer doing everything on our own) one of the exceptions is on the island of Bonaire. We strongly recommend doing a drift snorkel tour with the Woodwind http://www.woodwindbonaire.com/ . This boat is run by a couple of ladies (hi Dee) who know how to treat folks. However, her boat is so popular with tourists on the island as well as many cruisers that it can often be impossible to get a reservation unless you book very far in advance. What they do is take you to the "slot" that is between Bonaire and Klein Bonaire. Because the water has to squeeze through this narrow strait, it creates a fairly strong current which is very predictable. They drop the snorkelers at one end of this strait and you simply drift with the current for more then a mile (it is so easy since the current does the work). The boat stays ahead of the group so if you ever want to get out of the water they are nearby. An absolute delight.

Granada is a place where we normally just go to the beach, but an island tour can be quite interesting. Rather then being stuck with a large cruise group in a bus, we recommend just hiring a taxi (best for 2 couples to split the cost) which will be cheaper then the cruise line tours and more fun. There will be plenty of taxis looking for customers as you leave the pier and we like to "interview" a few drivers until we find one who seems to have the right personality. A few hours is all it takes to get a good feel for the island where most truly love the USA for saving them from their old revolutionary government.

Hank

From our experience, it is very important to have a tour in St. Lucia. The roads are winding and some of the excursions are long. A guide who knows the roads and sights is important.

Our experience has also been that Bonaire is an easy do your own tour-unless you need a snorkel guide. The town is small and walkable and there are taxis to the Donkey Sanctuary etc.

Cosol Tours in St. Lucia is an excellent value for the money. We had an awesome time with them. Snacks and beverages are included (including alcohol). Check them out on Trip Advisor - they are ranked #1 there. I agree with the previous poster that it is important to have a tour there. All the points of interest are kind of far from the ship, along very winding roads.

We toured Antigua with Lawrence of Antigua. It was also an excellent value. We saw a good portion of the island, went to Nelson's Dockyard, and had beach time.

Edited by DonnaK

I would have to second the nomination for Woodwind in Bonaire. Although I can't claim to be a snorkeling expert, we have snorkeled at various places in the Caribbean, all over the Hawaiian Islands, in the South Pacific, and on the Great Barrier Reef and I would say that Bonaire had the absolutely clearest water I've ever seen. Our trip with Woodwind was outstanding. ( Perhaps it was the time of year, but although we did drift somewhat, I wouldn't say that the current was very strong.) When I found that we'd be snorkeling with a guide, I was a little unsure, because we usually like to explore by ourselves; however, we were free to wander about, but usually stayed close because the guide was really good at spotting things and then surfacing to explain about them.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

For Bonaire I would recommend exploring on your own.

Excursions or watertaxies to klein bonaire are more expensive to buy aboard the cruisship.

Snorkeling is at its best at Klein Bonaire! Just take the watertaxi (buy your ticket on board of the watertaxi, its a lot cheaper!) that is at Karels Beach bar in the middle of town, it only a few minutes walk from the schip. they depart every hour.

The Good Return is a big and solid watertaxi so no troubles with the boat being full when you want to return.

Enjoy your cruise!

I'd do a tour on St. Lucia too, and also for your first time in Grenada, if you want to see the countryside, otherwise a beach day there is easy--it's also fun to walk to the beautiful harbor and fort.

We do a combo of DIY and private tours, hardly ever ship tours. There is lots of good advice on the ports of call boards here, also on Trip Advisor.