Alaska Cruises on Carnival?

13cheermom

For anyone that has taken an Alaskan cruise with Carnival, any suggestions as to preferred itineraries, specific ship, and best time to go during the span from May-Sept? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

For anyone that has taken an Alaskan cruise with Carnival, any suggestions as to preferred itineraries, specific ship, and best time to go during the span from May-Sept? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

Carnival only has one ship that does Alaska.

It leaves on a Tuesday and returns on a Tuesday, not very convenient for people that can only take off Monday to Friday.

Also if you want to see Glacier bay you'll have to book either the very first cruise of the season or the very last cruise of the season.

Personally i would try Princess as they have many more choices and itineraries or even HAL or NCL.

Bill

I 'did' the last 2 sails of the season last year (B2B). So, we 'got' Tracy Arm AND Glacier Bay. (I thought this may be a once in a lifetime chance to get my DH to take a cruise and wanted to 'do it all...') Had glorious weather for September last year.

Glacier Bay is nothing short of amazing and breath taking beautiful. However, I thought Tracy Arm was fabulous also. We 'did' the small boat excursion for Tracy Arm and thought it was well worth it. I thought the glaciers we saw on Tracy Arm (Sawyer and South Sawyer) were more spectacular than the glacier we saw in Glacier Bay. Sawyer had much more of the spectacular blue coloring.

Here is a pic of Sawyer:

1235534_10200775903784936_429164382_n.jpg

And some Falls at Tracy Arm:

1236271_10200775897624782_3381824_n.jpg

Here are some pics from Glacier Bay Day:

551205_10200775877504279_379472286_n.jpg

1234640_10200775878424302_943232049_n.jpg

1239885_10200775864383951_66737925_n.jpg

994904_10200775865383976_114222758_n.jpg

As everyone says.....photos do not do justice to the magnificient beauty. If you are able, consider doing 2 weeks so you get to see and do what you want. Many say it is necessary to have a balcony for Alaska and we did in fact have one. My DH spent quite a bit of time there during Glacier Bay day. However, I spent the entire day up on deck moving from one side to the other to take pictures. Was amazing and beautiful. So, if cost would be the only factor in planning, I would opt for an inside room and go for 2 weeks versus having a balcony for 1 week. Just my opinion.

Doing each of the ports twice allowed us to do everything we wanted to rather than having to pick just 1 excursion for each port.

Enjoy!

Carnival only has one ship that does Alaska.

It leaves on a Tuesday and returns on a Tuesday, not very convenient for people that can only take off Monday to Friday.

Also if you want to see Glacier bay you'll have to book either the very first cruise of the season or the very last cruise of the season.

Personally i would try Princess as they have many more choices and itineraries or even HAL or NCL.

Bill

Bill's advice is good advice. Because Carnival cruises from and to Seattle, you won't see as much as you would see if you choose another cruise line and do a northbound or southbound cruise. I cruised Alaska on both Norwegian and Princess. Princess has bigger cabins overall IMO than Norwegian.

Best piece of advice is to pick a cruise line that offers itineraries that go to Glacier Bay, and preferably one ways to/from Vancouver and Whittier/Seward. That way, not only do you get to see more of Alaska, but you get to be in port longer.

Carnival is a great option in the Caribbean, but not so much in Alaska. With only one ship, a mid week departure, and a mediocre itinerary, it just doesn't compete with the more established cruise lines in Alaska.

I'd look at Princess and Holland America. They have the largest number of ships and most varied itineraries. And you'll be surprised to know that many times they are cheaper than Carnival in Alaska.

We selected Holland America last year. It was a wonderful experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree with what everyone else has said. My first Carnival cruise in Alaska was a Southbound from Seward, which was wonderful. We added an extra week and visited Denali by train from Anchorage. DH and I sailed a couple of years ago, again via Carnival, on the final sailing of the season including Glacier Bay. While we did get perfect weather for our Glacier Bay day, which I did not in my prior cruise, it was a long way to travel to miss a lot of what had been available on the old itinerary.

The only positive to taking the Carnival cruise that doesn't include Glacier Bay would be that you do sail from and return to Seattle, which if your vacation time is limited could be a plus.

We have done Alaska twice, both on Carnival. I have never seen Tracy Arm, so I can't comment on that, but we LOVED Glacier Bay. Both trips were in the middle of May. In 2005, it was misty the entire time we were there. This year, the weather was perfect up until the last sea day! Whatever you choose, you will not regret seeing Alaska!!!!

Could you be a little more specific as to why?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=52426819

I agree with what everyone else has said. My first Carnival cruise in Alaska was a Southbound from Seward, which was wonderful. We added an extra week and visited Denali by train from Anchorage. DH and I sailed a couple of years ago, again via Carnival, on the final sailing of the season including Glacier Bay. While we did get perfect weather for our Glacier Bay day, which I did not in my prior cruise, it was a long way to travel to miss a lot of what had been available on the old itinerary.

The only positive to taking the Carnival cruise that doesn't include Glacier Bay would be that you do sail from and return to Seattle, which if your vacation time is limited could be a plus.

Some cruise lines offer Glacier Bay itineraries out of Seattle each week and even offer them out of San Francisco. If OP's vacation time was very limited, wouldn't it be better to choose one that isn't a mid-week departure?

One of the things I wouldn't do on an Alaskan cruise is to go very early or very late in the season. I know prices are cheaper than, but weather and conditions may prevent one from accessing all things Alaskan. Why go when the ships can't get close to glaciers due to ice, or tours aren't running or attractions are closed?

I 'did' the last 2 sails of the season last year (B2B). So, we 'got' Tracy Arm AND Glacier Bay. (I thought this may be a once in a lifetime chance to get my DH to take a cruise and wanted to 'do it all...') Had glorious weather for September last year.

Glacier Bay is nothing short of amazing and breath taking beautiful. However, I thought Tracy Arm was fabulous also. We 'did' the small boat excursion for Tracy Arm and thought it was well worth it. I thought the glaciers we saw on Tracy Arm (Sawyer and South Sawyer) were more spectacular than the glacier we saw in Glacier Bay. Sawyer had much more of the spectacular blue coloring.

Here is a pic of Sawyer:

1235534_10200775903784936_429164382_n.jpg

And some Falls at Tracy Arm:

1236271_10200775897624782_3381824_n.jpg

Here are some pics from Glacier Bay Day:

551205_10200775877504279_379472286_n.jpg

1234640_10200775878424302_943232049_n.jpg

1239885_10200775864383951_66737925_n.jpg

994904_10200775865383976_114222758_n.jpg

As everyone says.....photos do not do justice to the magnificient beauty. If you are able, consider doing 2 weeks so you get to see and do what you want. Many say it is necessary to have a balcony for Alaska and we did in fact have one. My DH spent quite a bit of time there during Glacier Bay day. However, I spent the entire day up on deck moving from one side to the other to take pictures. Was amazing and beautiful. So, if cost would be the only factor in planning, I would opt for an inside room and go for 2 weeks versus having a balcony for 1 week. Just my opinion.

Doing each of the ports twice allowed us to do everything we wanted to rather than having to pick just 1 excursion for each port.

Enjoy!

Your pictures are beautiful! Thanks for sharing them. Alaska is on my 'bucket list".....now that I have the time, I don't have the money. LOL (But isn't that always the way?)

Enjoy!

Gorgeous pictures, thanks!

One of the things I wouldn't do on an Alaskan cruise is to go very early or very late in the season. I know prices are cheaper than, but weather and conditions may prevent one from accessing all things Alaskan. Why go when the ships can't get close to glaciers due to ice, or tours aren't running or attractions are closed?

We went fairly early in the season, like the 2nd sailing. We were blessed with amazing weather, clear blue skies, and temperature hovering in the 60's-70's. Pulled up right next to Margerie Glacier in Glacier Bay. Couldn't have asked for more!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks so much to everyone for all of the great suggestions and tips! We will probably stick with Carnival as there are many itinerary possibilities for next year. A balcony is our usual choice wherever we cruise so it's a must for Alaska. Will probably do the 8-day cruise that goes to Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Bay, vacation time isn't an issue for us fortunately. I loved the pictures above they were beautiful and convinced me to choose both areas. (thanks for sharing) Just have to figure out the logistics of departing from Van Couver and returning to Seattle with airfare. Then the fun part of paying for excursions (wow) it reminds me of going to Europe last fall. But again its also a part of our bucket list so like my children say YOLO, haha.

You may wish to check flying into Seattle, taking the shuttle (if I remember correctly, there is a bus that goes daily) from Seattle to Vancouver. You might save a lot in the way of airfare if you can avoid flights into / out of different cities. Can't remember the name of the shuttle company, but I am sure a quick search would yield it.

Thanks so much for the tip! I thought there would be some alternate solutions to avoid split airfare. Since there is only about 2 hours distance, wondered about renting a car also, but would rather do the easiest solution.

Thanks so much for the tip! I thought there would be some alternate solutions to avoid split airfare. Since there is only about 2 hours distance, wondered about renting a car also, but would rather do the easiest solution.

I've actually found that the open jaw flights have been pretty reasonable. Last time we used our miles, and it was the standard deduction to arrive in Seattle and depart in Vancouver. My first trip we flew into Anchorage and flew home from Vancouver so there really wasn't an alternative, but the cost wasn't really different from a Vancouver roundtrip. Of course these days, you could get a different result checking fares every hour.

We did Alaska on the Carnival Spirit, back when it sailed northbound from Vancouver. It was magnificent and maybe the best family vacation we've ever done (we also stayed several days on land, went to Denali, etc. on our own.) We went at the very end of July/first of August and the weather was terrific. Just like in the Caribbean, there are frequent small showers. Just take ponchos and weather-appropriate clothes/shoes (layers, layers, layers) and you will LOVE it.

For those of you who have done Alaska -- I am interested in going but with my kids - youngest is 14 -- are there other kids that are on the ship? I would hate to pay for a trip that he didn't get the chance to hang out with other kids he eventually would be bored with us. Any information would be appreciated.

For those of you who have done Alaska -- I am interested in going but with my kids - youngest is 14 -- are there other kids that are on the ship? I would hate to pay for a trip that he didn't get the chance to hang out with other kids he eventually would be bored with us. Any information would be appreciated.

If you go once most schools are out, you will have kids. We went 2nd week in May and only had about 100 passengers under 18. According to John's blog post, the current cruise has 488 passengers under 18.

My husband & I (along with my parents and in-laws) did Alaska on the Carnival Miracle out of Seattle from June 24, 2014-July 1, 2014. We also did the small boat to Tracy Arm Fjord and it was absolutely beautiful! Since I've never done Glacier Bay, I can't comment on that.

Edited by CruisingGirlinWI