November sailing of Fantasia

tsahall01

Hi all!

New to Cruise Critic, but not to cruising! I am sailing on the Fantasia in November--11 night cruise of the Mediterranean (Venice to Geona). I've been to Italy before, but not to any of the other ports. Anyone else doing this cruise (Nov 2 to Nov 13, 2014)?? Any suggestions as to what to do in ports? Thanks!

Dubrovnik, Valetta and Bari are very easy to do on foot. In Valetta take the public elevator up to the main town. Come out the port and pass the HOHO buses, taxis and horse drawn carriages. Cross the road and you will see a sign pointing to the lift. It is just a €1 and well worth it as it is a step hill no matter which way you go.

In Dubrovnik depending where you dock or tender you may wish to use the MSC shuttle service for convenience.

Ellamartenalla's fabulous review tells you how to get into Athens.

The ports of call section on here will tell you how to get in to Rome on your own by public transport.

It is difficult to give suggestions without knowing your interests. There are plenty things to do and see in and around these ports. I prefer DIY so usually enjoy wandering around looking for a few things I've already researched in advance. I'm a frequent visitor to the Med, so I much prefer enjoyingnthe Med way of life rather than a jam packed day ticking off sights. People on their first or infrequent visits will have very different objectives from mine.

Hi all!

New to Cruise Critic, but not to cruising! I am sailing on the Fantasia in November--11 night cruise of the Mediterranean (Venice to Geona). I've been to Italy before, but not to any of the other ports. Anyone else doing this cruise (Nov 2 to Nov 13, 2014)?? Any suggestions as to what to do in ports? Thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. In Cruise Critic, there is an area called Roll Calls. In that area you can usually find who else is sailig on that date. However, not all sailings dates have roll calls and if they have one there are not very active. Have a look for your sailing date maybe you will find other Cruise Critic members there.

Ivi

Thanks for your helpful comments! I was finally able to find the MSC Roll Call, a little tricky--I see now that there is a link posted in a post from today! The post by Elmartellama is one of the best reviews that I've read to date! Chock full of information and wonderful pictures. What I really need now is information on Marmaris, Turkey. MSC does not even list any shore excursions for that port. I heard that diving here is awesome (my husband is a past scuba instructor and always looking for new dive locations)-but we arrive after the end of "season". Any suggestions for Marmaris?? Thanks, Susan

Thanks for your helpful comments! I was finally able to find the MSC Roll Call, a little tricky--I see now that there is a link posted in a post from today! The post by Elmartellama is one of the best reviews that I've read to date! Chock full of information and wonderful pictures. What I really need now is information on Marmaris, Turkey. MSC does not even list any shore excursions for that port. I heard that diving here is awesome (my husband is a past scuba instructor and always looking for new dive locations)-but we arrive after the end of "season". Any suggestions for Marmaris?? Thanks, Susan

Never been to Marmaris Susan but if you're interested in doing a ship's excursion, don't despair. What they post on the website is not all they offer. There will be shore excursions - never known them not to at any port. The will give you a tour magazine at embarkation which has all the excursions that will be available to book.

I'd still have a plan B as sometimes English speaking tours get cancelled as they fail to reach minimum numbers (since English speaking passengers are a minority). They will avoid that if they can and sometimes will combine it waits another language provided the guide is multi lingual.

I do recommend the ports of call section to get ideas of what can be done and see. Also look for port revies on Google or use tripadvisor