I know you'll understand

mkl55

What I want to know is just what a DW , or DH is. not "designated hitter I think.

And another abbreviation just seen: OCD?

OCD - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

just saw surreyman's response, sorry for repeating

Edited by superoma

I am also a retired teacher and was warned that the first fall would be hard, the only hard part was not getting locked up because I was smiling so much. My sister was just "forced" into retirement from her teaching job and called my crying because she was so sad. I'm sure you all heard the laughter across the land when I told my fellow retirees about her tragedy.

Now the hard part was when DH retired last year--I never counted on sharing the house with him full time!!!

Enjoy your adventures.

Or on the road---anywhere but home. If you want some fun drive down I95 the first weekend in January...you have to fight your way to the coupon books at the rest areas! But its fun to be able to pack as much as you want for a cruise and have a vacation before and after your vacation. Oh wait...when you're retired it's all vacation!

Another retired elementary teacher and retired elementary principal will weigh in! Retiring certainly is an adjustment - miss those little ones! BUT cruising in September or any time during the year for that matter is a great way to overcome the sadness! :)

Hilarious! So, if in your travels you find someone absentmindedly reminding everyone to listen to directions, stand quietly in line (and don't dare cut), use your "friendly words", and above all, wash your hands...please know who we are and forgive us...habits die hard.

Hilarious! So, if in your travels you find someone absentmindedly reminding everyone to listen to directions, stand quietly in line (and don't dare cut), use your "friendly words", and above all, wash your hands...please know who we are and forgive us...habits die hard.

It helped being a retired teacher on a flight to London. The kid behind me kept kicking my seat. When his mom went to the lav., I gave him my best scary teacher face/voice.....he didn't do it again!! DH had never seen me in "teacher mode". He was impressed!

I've always wanted to be a teacher, as an Uncle & 2 Favorite Aunts were teachers..However got a temporary job in the airline field & being able to travel clinched my final decision to stay within the travel field..

Retired from the airline industry at 50 & asked DH to retire at 58 from

A.T. & T.; sold our house & moved to Fla..I had fully intended to get another job or go to college when we moved to FLA, as my bosses said to me "Betty you will not be happy being retired" How wrong they were!

We sailed our boat down to Florida.. It took us 54 days, & bought another house.. That house was perfect for us to keep our boat in the water behind the house... We also joined a sailing club & spent many wonderful weeks/months sailing with our new Sailing Friends..

A couple of years after retiring, DH decided he wanted to go back to work, so he got a part time job with our local phone company while I stayed home.. :D LOL

I had it in the back of my mind to get a teaching degree, but a Friend talked me into working with my dog "Brandy" at the local Hospital & the reading program at the school.. She was tested by the local Therapy Dogs, Inc. Tester/Observer & passed as a Therapy Dog..

https://www.therapydogs.com/Public/Home.aspx

We still go to the reading program at one of our schools.. We have 10-12 dogs come to school every week for the K-2nd grade kids, who read one-on-one to our dogs.. Brandy sleeps, when the kids are reading to her, while I enjoy listening to them read! If they ask for help, or make a big mistake, then I'll help them.. So no need to get my teaching degree as volunteering at school satisfies my needs & the children look forward to reading to our dogs..:)

Had to convince DH to quit his job again so we can still do the longer cruises..

Wish I could figure out how to attach a pic of our Therapy dogs at school..

P.S. OP Enjoy your retirement! If you don't want to be tied down to an animal, volunteering at school between cruises, might be a solution..

Edited by serendipity1499

What a great story and wonderful journey. All your aspirations merged! Is that the inspiration for your CC name? Thank you for sharing.

Actually, "Serendipity" was the name of our boat... But, we had nothing to do with naming her.. That's another happy story..

In the late 70's we purchased a piece of property here in our town, fully planning on building our retirement home.. However, we found out the County was planning to build a bridge to Ft. Myers right where the property was, so we put it on the market for a small profit.. A very savvy investor tried to buy it but only offered us 10% down with a balloon payment in 6 months on the Friday before Christmas..Our Realtor, also a Friend, advised us to call the County first to ask what they would pay for the property..The County Appraiser said to DH, "Can't tell you what the county will pay, but I would advise you not to take the offer"..

So we refused the offer & took the property off the market..Six months later the County offered almost 2 1/2 times our asking price...:D:D With the proceeds we bought a 33 Ft. Sailboat & banked the rest...Another Friend suggested we name the new boat, "LandScam" :eek::)LOL.. Our Niece suggested Serendipity & that's what we named her..

Never thought about it, but your post makes me realize our lives have been serendipitous! :)

Thanks..

Had a therapy dog at my school because one of our aides was a trainer. Amazing how that dog worked with kids that teachers often could not get to respond' date=' read aloud or take part in class. Kids loved reading to the dog![/quote']

That's very true.. We get the same responses...Two of our larger LAB's work with the School's Special Needs Class, on the playground, after working with the K-2nd graders, in the reading program..

I tried that with Brandy, but the children were very rambunctious & all she would do was shake & try to get on my lap.. She 's only 15 lbs & cringes at loud noises..

Edited by serendipity1499

I am often reminded to use my "indoor voice"