New to all this - & now they confuse me with an upsell

Jellifer

Hi all....

Going on the 12 day Mediterranean Romance on the 23rd on Nieuw Amsterdam.

I went on a Celebrity to Alaska last yr but it's Mum's first cruise.

We are in a VE on deck 7 near the back of the ship but this morning I've received this :

Upgrade from category VQ-VH to category SQ-SC for an additional 899pp GBP Upgrade from category VQ-VH to Category SS-SZ for an additional 449pp GBP

Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal? I can't ring to check availability for 2.5hrs so have a little thinking time.

Thanks in advance & many many thanks for all of your helpful posts on here... I've learned a lot!

Hi all....

We are in a VE on deck 7 near the back of the ship but this morning I've received this :

Upgrade from category VQ-VH to category SQ-SC for an additional 899pp GBP Upgrade from category VQ-VH to Category SS-SZ for an additional 449pp GBP

Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal? I can't ring to check availability for 2.5hrs so have a little thinking time.

Thanks in advance & many many thanks for all of your helpful posts on here... I've learned a lot!

A quick way to tell is to check HALs website for what those cabins are selling for to new bookings now, and compare what they are offering you to see how good a deal it is. I'm sure others with more experience with upsells will weigh in here also. But I know you are in a time limited situation, so wanted to mention this.

All you really get with the SS-SZ is 50% more space (a 13.5 foot wide room instead of 9 foot) and to me that would not be worth 74.8 GBP ($128) per day. But, if you expect to spend a lot of time in the room it may be worth it to you.

With the SQ-SC you get not only a cabin that is double the size of the VE but also many other amenities, so 149.8 GBP ($256) per day might be worth the splurge for Mum's first cruise ... but you may then be trapped into going for that level ftom now on! :)

Since you booked a lower level veranda to begin with, I suspect that cost is a concern to you, and suggest that you do not upgrade, but spend a little more on shore excursions and activities or onboard indulgences than you had planned.

Edited by jtl513

Compared to the current prices for the Sept 9th 12 day cruise, the VE to SC upgrade is not a very good deal. The current price difference between VE and SC is $2050 (1197 GBP); upgrade, 899 GBP. For the VE to SS the upgrade is a little better deal but not outstanding: Current price difference, $1300 (759 GBP); upgrade, 449 GBP.

If it were me, I would either wait for another upgrade email or hope for a free upgrade at the dock.

Dan

Thank you for the replies...as jtl513 helpfully suggested, I will pass on the offer and look forward to spending more on treats once on board.

I'll let you know if I get a second offer ! Thanks again

Hi all....

Upgrade from category VQ-VH to category SQ-SC for an additional 899pp GBP NO Upgrade from category VQ-VH to Category SS-SZ for an additional 449pp GBP YES

I would not take the first offer to the SQ/SC but the offer to the SS/SZ is better and I would be tempted to take it.

Hopfully by waiting, you will get an even better offer, keeping my fingers crossed.:D