Dining Package @ Premier West Quay Southampton

My post about Yorkshire accents was in jest. ;)

As in other parts of the UK you might struggle with a word or two while chatting to "locals" - it's part of the fun of travelling but no big deal, & those you come into contact with tend not to have thick local accents. In fact, in hotels, restaurants etc the staff are from all over Europe, especially eastern Europe, so you'll have a range of accents to contend with..

Doubtless there's a Cumbrian (Lake District) accent, but most of us southerners wouldn't be able to distinguish it from most other northern accents. And it's not a problem. :)

For cruisers flying/sailing from the south & wanting to spend a few days touring, the Lake District is too far to be worthwhile.

But you're going to Thirsk, and from there it's just a couple of hours over the Pennines.

Hiking is the big thing in the Lake District but I'm guessing you'll not have time for that. But do try to fit in some time driving a couple of the mountain passes. And a steamer trip on Lake Windermere, which can also be combined with a steam railway.

http://www.visitcumbria.com/roads/

http://www.windermere-lakecruises.co.uk/cruises-fares

Have you chosen a Lake District base yet?

JB :)

No Lake District base yet- hoping for a timeshare trade request put in with UKRE to come through in exchange for our Ireland week. We should have about 6 days to spend post-Yorkshire. Appears to be lots to see & do in both areas, but won't get to see Downton Abbey aka Highclere Castle since it's nowhere near Thirsk & Ripon as suggested by the series.

We'll be taking a train from Southampton to the Manchester airport and renting a car for the next couple weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

I would stick with the meal deal at the premier inn it's great value and does include very very good fish and chips (I've had them myself) the package also includes a drink :) the breakfast is also great with both a buffet and cooked to order items. We've stayed there a few times and always found it to be an excellent choice.

Appears to be lots to see & do in both areas, but won't get to see Downton Abbey aka Highclere Castle since it's nowhere near Thirsk & Ripon as suggested by the series.

All you have to do is look at the stone it's made from and know that's it's no where near Yorkshire! The yellower stone is from the southern part of England. In the north it tend's to be grey. If you have ever watched Morse or Endeavor have a look at the color of the stone buildings --they really are in Oxford.

All you have to do is look at the stone it's made from and know that's it's no where near Yorkshire! The yellower stone is from the southern part of England. In the north it tend's to be grey. If you have ever watched Morse or Endeavor have a look at the color of the stone buildings --they really are in Oxford.

I had no idea about the stone- I can hardly differentiate granite from laminate;)! Have only been to London & the Devon area in England and must confess I never attended to the geology of the stonework used in buildings there.

But travel research is an avocation for me, which is how I learned where in England Highclere Castle stands.