Norwegian or Royal for Western Med cruise?

We are looking at a Western Med cruise and have a choice between RCL and NCL. We have cruised celebrity and RCL and while we loved the great service and good food on Celebrity, we had a horrible Carib cruise on Adventure, floating around the Carib instead of making our destinations. We care about itineraries and then look at cruise lines. The itineraries for RCL and NCL are almost the same on this cruise. We can get a suite at NCL for the price of a balcony on RCL. Has anyone experienced both RCL (Liberty) and NCL (Epic)? What are the most strikingt differences?:confused:

I believe the balcony smoking policy may or may not be an issue for you

And isn't there something odd about the epic bathroom layout? As in no doors? The people I know who did the epic did not like it too much

That said this cruise is all about the ports anyway

Did it in 2008 on ccl freedom

2012 on ruby princess

Rccl is too expensive for our family size

And Ncl spirit was too old for my taste although everyone does rave about it

Fwiw on the 2 big med cruises we took the family on we wanted a nice mix if good pre and post cities. Great eastern and western med ports and the best ship we could find as sea days on the med are incredible!

On deck movie screens were perfect and allowed for a very special day and evening deck experience.

On both of these cruises I paid approx $7500 for 6. In 2 ov cabins. 12 days each

This does not include port fees and taxes or gratuities

Also while I am certainly budget minded on all of our trips and even on our Europe trips I get the bargains when I can and do not just spend to be a big shot,

One thing I can say about our trips is that I know when to spend it and went to save it

As in direct flights for $10000 or 5 hour layover in Dublin for $6000

Best scones in the planet at the Dublin airport btw!!!!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

I have only been on RCL on a cruise from Dubai (awesome) but have just returned from a Mediterranean cruise on Epic sailing from Barcelona. My review can be found at:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=257253

or via the Members Review board for NCL Epic.

As a solo traveller the Epic offered great facilities and best of all no single supplements. I think that without the Studio Lounge for us solos I would have felt a little lost on such a huge ship - I am more used to smaller ships (Princess, MSC, Thompson, P& O etc) but had a most enjoyable cruise.

If you would like to see a really indepth review of Epic then could I suggest you look up Epic Photo Review written by MegaCruiser which is on this board for Norwegian Cruise Lines. It is excellent, has some wonderful photos and gives so much information about the ship. Well worth hunting for it.

Good Luck with your plans.

Suron (in Bristol, UK)

I'm just going on my first NCL cruise in October to the Greek Isles but I have been on RCCL Liberty of the Seas. I absolutely loved the itinerary and the ship. Europe is so port intensive that the ship isn't as important as the ports that you're visiting. I don't spend a lot of time in my cabin while in the Med. It's not like the Caribbean where it's nice to enjoy breakfast on your balcony. In Europe we had eaten breakfast and were off the ship to meet our driver by 8am and we didn't return to the ship until about 4:30-5pm. I choose my Mediterranean ships by the itinerary and how long the ship is in port to allow a reasonable amount of time to explore. Whatever you choose, have a wonderful time. Any ship is better than no ship.

Another thing to consider is shore excursions. We almost exclusively do private shore excursions in the Caribbean, but found them to be very expensive in Europe. Rcl excursions were much more reasonable priced then ncl excursions when I was looking three years ago

We've done 3 Epic sailings. Best entertainment of any ship on any line - in my opinion. So much to do - a great value for the price.

This. So much to do on the Epic. A Suite on the Epic is a fabulous experience. Our one and only suite was on the Epic. Dining in the Epic Club was wonderful. Don't miss out on a chance for a suite at a good price. The other issues are totally minor in my opinion. We were on the Epic for 22 days and had a blast every single one of them. Great spa, too.

Edited by HokiePoq