American table suspended until further notice?

I would love a choice of salads.

This is something I don't understand them not doing. It should be fairly easy to have 2-3 side salads and even an entree salad on the menu every night. Salad is easy and you can make it in large batches and plate it as needed.

I am also a little confused about people talking about the bread basket being on the table. Since we have cruised with our DD (2012), we have always had the basket on the table. We sat in ATD though, so maybe that was the difference. But I am still thinking that one night DD was at camp and we dined at a large table with others and I recall bread being on the table. I don't remember being served bread.

Edited by cruzinlisa

When I went on Glory in December, we had the American Feastn menu. First off, the new tables were sharp and looked very nice without the tablecloths. They did use them on the elegant nights. My biggest problem with the new menu was the lack of consistency and the lack of taste. Many items were downright terrible and inedible. The lack of consistency was also a huge issue - four people could order the same entree and receive it four different ways. There were nights where meat would come in a dish when it never mentioned meat in the dish. This was a major issue as we had non-meat eaters at the table and then the waitstaff needed to go find something else for the person. There was one night where three people ordered the same pasta dish - two came with chicken and one came with sausage. Things like that just should not happen. The surprising highlight of the food was how good their vegetarian options (when they were truly vegetarian) were.

Don't like to hear that. I have not tried the new menus, but they look good and I saw several things that I thought I would enjoy. So I was looking forward to possibly going on a ship with the menu someday. Hopefully if that ever happens they get it together. Perhaps something was just off with the kitchen on your cruise.

Just got off the Liberty on a 5-day cruise.

Just a few updates..

-Tablecloths were used every night.

-There was no free champagne given on formal night (others have reports that there is some given for dinner)

-I did not see one instance where sharing at the table was available for appetizers or sides. Even if we all ordered the same side, we were never asked if we wished to share it family style.

-On the American table (cruise casual) nights, there were four main course options that you could order for a $20/pp fee. There were titled "steakhouse selections" Items included Filet Mignon, Surf & Turf (filet & lobster tail), whole 1.5lbs Maine lobster, and NY Strip Steak.

-Bar waiters were much more active for drink orders than my previous cruises.

-Menu choices were very good in my opinion, there were around 10-12 starter selections, 10-12 main course items, and 7 or 8 dessert selections.

-Cold food was always served cold, and hot food was always served hot.

In conclusion, we were very pleased with the new menu and it's offerings.

On the American table (cruise casual) nights, there were four main course options that you could order for a $20/pp fee. There were titled "steakhouse selections" Items included Filet Mignon, Surf & Turf (filet & lobster tail), whole 1.5lbs Maine lobster, and NY Strip Steak.

Upcharge items IN the MDR? I am *so* not in favor of that. That is the first step on a slippery slope towards charging for MDR meals separately from the overall cruise fare. It gives Carnival an excuse to further reduce the quality of "free" MDR food (that we pay for with our cruise fare) and 'entice' us towards paying more for what we have already paid for.

I've already made the conscious decision not to cruise on ships with American Table/Feast due to the reduced choices and lower level of table service. This serves to confirm my decision and is another nail in that particular coffin.

I love cruising with Carnival. I've done so six times this year and have a seventh on Breeze already paid for. However, should Carnival decide to push this out to additional ships I *will* vote with my feet and walk on over to RCCL as my go-to cruise line.

Upcharge items IN the MDR? I am *so* not in favor of that. That is the first step on a slippery slope towards charging for MDR meals separately from the overall cruise fare. It gives Carnival an excuse to further reduce the quality of "free" MDR food (that we pay for with our cruise fare) and 'entice' us towards paying more for what we have already paid for.

I've already made the conscious decision not to cruise on ships with American Table/Feast due to the reduced choices and lower level of table service. This serves to confirm my decision and is another nail in that particular coffin.

I love cruising with Carnival. I've done so six times this year and have a seventh on Breeze already paid for. However, should Carnival decide to push this out to additional ships I *will* vote with my feet and walk on over to RCCL as my go-to cruise line.

Yes, these upcharge items were in the MDR. They were in addition to the other 10 or more entrees offered. I liked the idea of them. They obviously are not mandatory, but if you wish, you can order them. Perhaps you are celebrating something, but your whole party does not care to eat at the steakhouse. It would work perfect in that circumstance. And I should note that all of the other "included" entrees that were offered were delicious.

Cruising August 2nd on the Glory.... First time Carnival.... What should i expect? Tips please... Happy that they would go back to old menu. All review that i read were more or less negative on the new menu we were getting worried since we are a family group of 10. Some of them already cruised with Carnival but none with the Glory. Thanks for the rumor. Feeling so much better. Are they going back with the live singers? Seen some complains about the loud boom boom DJ's.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cruising August 2nd on the Glory.... First time Carnival.... What should i expect? Tips please... Happy that they would go back to old menu. All review that i read were more or less negative on the new menu we were getting worried since we are a family group of 10. Some of them already cruised with Carnival but none with the Glory. Thanks for the rumor. Feeling so much better. Are they going back with the live singers? Seen some complains about the loud boom boom DJ's.

I'd wait till you got on to find out what is fact and what is fiction. Best advice is just relax and enjoy your cruise.

I remember John Heald posting in April that Freedom would have American Table in June. And then people are saying that didn't happen, but John didn't give an update. And then I just read elsewhere that AT will still happen on Freedom later this year and that AT would appear on Pride around September. I wish Carnival would let their guests know what to expect, at least in the near term even if they can't give us a fixed schedule.

What kind of sense does it make to put this new dining on Pride right before she goes to dry dock? What I have seen of the new menus I don't really care for, they look like their marketing team or whomever thought this up was trying to be way overly trendy or something. I'll be sailing the Pride third week of September and am really hoping the old menus are still going. I don't mind some changes here and there.....but the whole thing just seems like too much, too soon.

Give the new menus a shot. Their choices are really good(if they correct some cooking issues) and loved the port specials. Glad Carnival is paying attention to ports of call. Remember that this is not a five star restaurant, try new stuff, and maybe go to lido if you're still hungry.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App