Why tip?

Roboat

I leave auto-tip on and tip extra where I think a level of service over and above the norm was delivered. I have precious little vacation time and the extra things a service professional does to make my stay that much better is genuinely appreciated.

I have at several points in my life worked in jobs that depended heavily on tips and prhaps I tip more heavily than the average perosn for that reason. But never to assuage my conscience or as a way to deal with some sort of "liberal guilt" (because I have none).

The cruise lines may do things to help their employees get home to visit their families on occasion but the typical cruise ship service person works long hours, often seven days per week, and spends months at a time without being able to see their families. Many come from countries such as the Phillipines where unemployment rates are very high and leaving home in order to support one's family is often the only viable option.

And If I have enough income to take a cruise vacation and tip extra while I'm on board it also means I should have enough money to donatea bit to charitable causes at homeNo ason why one should preclude the other.

We tip extra when we feel that someone has gone above and beyond our expectations thereby making our cruise, dinner, cab ride or whatever the case may be much more enjoyable and stress free. On our first cruise we went a little crazy and tipped everyone, including the maitre'd, but we felt it was well deserved by everyone especially our head waiter Esumitra aka Clyde who I found out is on the Liberty. If any of u have the chance to have him as your waiter I guarantee you it will be a wonderful week of dining. On our most recent cruise we tipped but not as much as we did last year. For ex. we did not feel the need to tip the maitre'd whom we never spoke to once during the 7 day cruise. We tipped our waiter as usual but we gave him a bit less since we also tipped his assistant this year. We tipped the cabin steward as well. I honestly don't care if they make over $500 in tips a week as someone on this board had posted earlier. That will not influence me in tipping them any less. Basically if someone made my vacation more enjoyable becuase of their exceptional service I will tip them as a sign of gratitude and hope that gives them an incentive to treat their next guests the same way they treated me.

I just posted a new thread about this, but in case you missed it... also, Samsara, being in Ireland... Do you think it would be a nice touch to tip with a phone card in addition to the mandatory gratuity? I would normally tip cash, so I am talking about the same amount, only in a phone card. That way the steward would not have to pool the tip- he wouldn't have to with cash either, I guess... I wonder if phone cards sold here can be used in Mexico, etc.

About a year ago there was an article posted by a cruise employeee. He said he did not like the phone cards as money was better. He did not call his family but e-mailed them as the cruiseline he worked for gave him that service free.

I gathered from that statement alot of people do that. so no phone cards. What I do is let them hold out the standard tipping amount and then I personally tip my steward and waiters extra. I let them know I had already did the standard tip but I wanted them to have this extra personally.

Now my next cruise is RCCL-I understand they still go with the envelope thing. In that case I will tell them the extra in the envelope is for THEM personally.

I always get a kick out of these "Tip" issues on the boards. As with the note about tips being pooled:

Some people will overtip

Some will undertip

Some will not tip at all.

It all goes to what we individually believe deserves recognition. I've seen my husband leave a penny when service has been horrible in a restaurant. He says the penny makes a statement when you have to get up from your table and go get your own drink at the bar, ask another waitress to bring your food, or get your bill from the cashier. Most of our cruises have had great service, but our last cruise was terrible from the service in the dining room to the food in the buffet. The bright light was our cabin steward, who got well compensated for his efforts. Personally, I will not tip for bad service, but I know others who will. How else do people learn good behavior if you reward them for bad?

Archived