Why tip?

Roboat

Why do I, like most people it seems, usually tip over and above the amount the cruise ship considers appropriate?

It occurs to me that my reasons are based on pure conjecture.

A) "The cruise staff doesn't make much for their hard work"

Well actually, I have NO idea how much they make. Zip. Nada. Zero.

I DO know what the 46 year old non-English-speaking mother who cooks the fries at McDonalds earns: about enough to cover child care and prescription drugs. And SHE doesn't get free room and board.

And the guy that runs a hot dog cart works pretty hard for his money, as does the wife of the E3 stationed in Iraq, who works the night shift at the 7-11.

And she has to pay her own room and board. (Her husband gets his room and board free, but somehow it's not the same.) :mad:

B) "They need the money"

Well, compared to whom? Starving people?

The homeless woman?

The senior who can't afford arthritis meds?

Do I know whether the waiter is supporting a family of 12, or saving up for a new PT Cruiser?

C) "I once worked for tips, and I know how hard it is."

Oh? I do? Would it have helped if I had no room and board to worry about? How about if I were tipped automatically unless the customers went through an ordeal?

D) "The same meal at the specialty restaurant is worth $200 and I usually tip $20-30%, so...

Yeah, well, .... don't these waiters get a share of the $10/day from 3000+ people, 90% of whom they never serve? And do I REALLY know that none the restaurant surcharge goes to the specialty waiters? And if I give them an EXTRA $30-50 for ONE meal, how does that stack up against what I give the dining room waiters for serving 20 meals? I can tell you right now, it isn't $600-1000!

E) "I personally received services that substantially exceeded the norm aboard a cruise ship"

I hardly ever use this one. I think I'd be in the sane minority if this my condition for tipping extra.

And then there's this one, I don't see on the forums:

E) "It makes me feel, well, somehow superior, or it soothes my social conscience"

How unfortunate for the sick and truly needy.

---------

Maybe from now on I should just leave the autotip, and that's it. Instead of tipping cruise ship staff EXTRA, and I should write a check for $200-300 to the Feed the Children guys, or Salvation Army, or the Red Cross.

Does anyone think differently?

Why do I, like most people it seems, usually tip over and above the amount the cruise ship considers appropriate?

Does anyone think differently?

I tip according to service recieved. For instance on one cruise, (1st cruise), we did not tip the cabin stewart much, because he was terrible.

I give money to many charities, church, political partys, treatment centers, and more.

I believe it is a duty and responsibility to give back some of what I have gotten.

When I went on NCL Dawn, we were chatting with our dining room server about the amount they make, because my husband & I were curious.

She said that they make about $600 a month. But she also went on to say that includes of course room & board, plus a lot of extras, like free laundry & dry cleaning. The cruiseline also pays for roundtrip airfare from the cruiseship to their country for vacations.

In addition, the waitress also said that they make a percentage of the wine sales; and the servers in the specialty restautants make a lot more because guests usually tip a lot more for the extra services.

She seemed happy with the wages & reminded us that it's not a lot of money here in the US, but it goes a LONG way in their home countries.

BTW, Norwegian has "tipping included" of $10 pp/ per day, which is charged to your onboard account. Maybe I'm considered cheap, but we didn't leave anything extra. Of course, we treated everyone with due respect & kindness, and never requested anythings above the ordinary.

When I went on NCL Dawn, we were chatting with our dining room server about the amount they make, because me & my husband were curious.

She said that they make about $600 a month. But she also went on to say that includes of course room & board, plus a lot of extras, like free laundry & dry cleaning. They also pay for roundtrip airfare from the cruiseship to their country for vacations.

In addition, the waitress also said that they make a percentage of the wine sales; and the servers in the specialty restautants make a lot more because guests usually tip a lot more for the extra services.

She seemed happy with the wages & reminded us that it's not a lot of money here in the US, but it goes a LONG way in their home countries.

BTW, Norwegian has "tipping included" of $10 pp/ per day, which is charged to your onboard account. Maybe I'm considered cheap, but we didn't leave anything extra. Of course, we treated everyone with due respect & kindness, and never requested anythings above the ordinary.

.......Maybe from now on I should just leave the autotip, and that's it. Instead of tipping cruise ship staff EXTRA, and I should write a check for $200-300 to the Feed the Children guys, or Salvation Army, or the Red Cross.

I think that sounds like a fine idea. Why don't you go and do just that?

Thanks for the good info, LOL. I wouldn't consider you cheap at all. I think people overtip. Why? See below:

Actually, I did some googling found some interesting articles on tipping, and the psychology of tipping.

www.sugarvine.com/Leeds/rant/therant.asp?rant=87

For those of you who work for tips or have friends and relatives who do, (or if you want to know why the waiter squats and draws smiley-faces) here's:

"Mega Tips - Scientifically Tested Techniques to Increase Your Tips" www.tip20.com/div/foh/pdf/megatips.pdf

Cotton, you didn't actually tell me to hush up, did you? :eek: :p ;)

.......Maybe from now on I should just leave the autotip, and that's it. Instead of tipping cruise ship staff EXTRA, and I should write a check for $200-300 to the Feed the Children guys, or Salvation Army, or the Red Cross.

Cotton, you just crack me up sometimes! Speak your mind girlfriend, don't hold back!:D

We always leave the auto-tip on and then tip extra if a staff member has gone out of their way to make our trip more enjoyable. I'd far rather tip the cruise ship staff, who in most cases, seem to really CARE about what they are doing and the level of service they provide, as opposed to the bored waitress at the local coffee shop (sub in here Bob Evans, Perkins, Bennigans, wherever) who can't manage to keep my coffee cup full and has to ask who had what when she brings the food to the table.

The one point of agreement has to do with tipping in the specialty restaurants. Seems crazy to me to tip based on comparable cost at home and give the waiter there $20 for one meal when your dining room waiter gets about $7 per meal (based on a couple).

Ok, heres my take. Not that you care....but,

A person choses their employment right? These people have chosen to become wait staff. correct? Now their job is to? That's right! SERVE YOU. Do they receive a paycheck? Yes they do. Do I know how much they make? No I do not. I don't even know (or care) how much YOU make. What I do know however is that RCCL has guidelines for tipping these employees - and to be quite honest these guys/gals do not do so bad!

Suite attendant:$5.75 USDa day per guestStateroom attendant:$3.50 USDa day per guestDining Room Waiter:$3.50 USDa day per guest Assistant Waiter:$2.00 USDa day per guestHeadwaiter:$.75 USDa day per guest

(I am sure you have all done the math at one time) On a 7 nt. Voyager class cruise that's OVER $100,000 in tips brought in EVERY week just for Dining Room staff and I didn't even include the Headwaiter in my calcs.

I know tips are pooled. Does anyone know the number of dining staff per ship? I don't but even if it's as many as 500 (which I doubt) that leaves each employee with about $500 per week in tips. Not bad considering, as some have already noted, they do receive a salary and they do not have to pay for room, board, and meals.

Everyone has hardships......if my waiter tells a good enough tale about his? Who knows, maybe I'll throw him an extra couple bucks.....strictly for the entertainment value. (tongue in cheek :D )

For the record: I will tip the minimum suggested and go up from there according to service.

Back to the OP's Question:

IMHO, from reading lots of posts on this topic: I think (E) is the correct answer for many.

That's a neat article. I love Google. Sometimes I can waste away a whole night in Googleland. (Last night it was coal-mining, pickpocket scams, and the great "should t-shirts be tucked into ones pants" debate on some weird chat site.);)
Hola LOL, What was the consensus on the T-shirt debate?

we spoke extensively with one of the crew aboard our cruise. she was a head bartender (who had been with Carnival for around 10 years, I think) and worked a minimum of 70-80 hours a week, with a few HOURS off every other week off (while the ship is in port). she makes about $500-$600 a month. yes, she gets "free room and board"...but she was telling us what their food is like...they sure as hell aren't getting what the passengers get. she told us their diet consists of mostly rice and very little else. most of the crew shares bathrooms as well as staterooms. and on top of that, if they want anywhere to live the 2 months they have off, they have to pay for an apartment, insurance, all that goes along with it. in ADDITION to supporting their families (parents, as this woman wasn't married).

it's my opinion that if you can afford to cruise, you can afford to treat those well who took good care of you while on your vacation. god forbid anyone break the "typical American" stereotype (gee, I wonder how all of us get THAT bad rep?) and have some compassion for others' situations, let alone fork over a few bucks to help out. :rolleyes: seriously, what's $50-$100 (above auto-tipping) when you're spending how many thousands to cruise? and this is coming from me, an OV GTY cruiser (and one that saves 2-3 years for each cruise)...not like some of the "big spenders" that are aboard. yes, we all work hard for our money. it just so happens that we're lucky enough to live in the society we do.

tequilamockingbird,

I dont believe they pool tips. At least not on RCCL

Tips are pooled on RCCL. OP's question was why tip? My question is... why not tip? If you can't do the dime ($10.00 per day p/p), don't do the time...on a cruise ship.

I am with you Cotton. I don't tip to be "superior" but for superior service. I also tip the guy at the local resturant-he gets a good tip if he did a good job-a superior tip if he did a superior job and a not so great tip if he did a louzy job. I have never left zilch though even if I felt they deserved it.

As far as the immigrant person at MacDonalds-I feel they are better off here in the good ole USA then back at home or else they would go back home.

In the last census (2000) I worked as an enumerator. I was amazed at how many immigrants were packed in 2 bedroom apts.-sometimes there would be 20 or more people. But from what I understand they live under worse conditions in their home country.

Maybe the tipping thing is overthought.

There will always be people who will be cheap and tip less than they KNOW they should. And there will always be curmudgeons who find fault in everything and honestly believe that unless the waiter accompanies them to the restroom, pulls the toilet paper for them, wipes them, and returns them safely to their table, they don't really deserve a tip. BUT I think there are probably enough reasonable, sensible passengers that if a staffer really is decent at his/her job, he or she will probably do just fine. And if he or she is exemplary, he or she will do very well.

Staff on cruise ships receive $50 a month as salary from the cruise line. Tips are not pooled, as some have stated. The only tips that are pooled are the tips that are automatically added to your bar bills. Tips you give to individual crew members, like room stewards and dining room waiters, are not pooled. I know this because after 40 cruises, you find these things out by talking to numerous staff on many cruise ships. I also have a very good friend who's a Master (Captain) on a cruise ship and he explained things like this. Plus these hard workers work on the average of 70 to 80 hours a week, hours that I don't think any passenger would work for only $50 a month.

The only thing crew members have included in their employment is their room and board. They still have personal expenses and need to purchase things like toothpaste, razors and other personal care products. They also call home from time to time.

We tip extra if the service calls for it. I cruise often with my mom, who's disabled, and every so often we find a crew member who goes way above the call of duty to assist my mom with whatever help she needs. That person will be well compensated. We DO NOT suffer from "extravagentitis" when cruising, as some here have said, but we do want to reward anyone who goes way beyond what one would expect from a service provider.

Archived