Epic Western Mediterranean question

Which do you want to see? Read up on both areas to see what they have that interests you. That will help you decide.

Barcelona is closer as the port is right in town where as in Rome the cruise is about an hour or so train ride away.

I find practical things like decent flight times and the cost of airfare my deciding factor so you may want to see what flights you hAve available from your local airport.

Happy planning!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

We just finished this itinerary with Barcelona being the embarkation point. I would choose this again. We loved Barcelona and had two days at each end of the cruise to explore.

Then again, you could do the same with Rome.

It is a packed 6 days of tours and is an amazing trip. You won't be disappointed either way you do it.

We chose Rome for our embarkation on this cruise, because the Rome artwork, ancient ruins, and Sistine chapel had a multi day precruise appeal. Barcelona had only one day of appeal to explore Gaudi, which we will do on a private one day shore excursion.

Also embarkation and debarcation in Rome is quicker and easier as fewer passengers get on here.

However we will most likely not be able to get posh passes as they will presumably be sold out in Barcelona.

But, as already posted see how the flights work out. If ou do use Rome, check out the Aventino Hotel. That's where we'll be. Also Sergio as a guide through the choose your guide in Rome site. Also, we're using Viatour for early entrance into the Sistine chapel, before the public enters.

Thanks for the information. We are actually looking at doing 2 cruises, one on the Jade and then one on the Epic. I will research the ports and make our decision. I appreciate the feedback.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I did Rome since the port is far from the City that provides more time in Rome.

For the EPIC most passangers boarded in Spain. The end result was the lines in Rome were short and you were on board and access to your cabin soon after boarding.

I don't think you can go wrong, either way. Both are great cities. What are your interests? We chose Rome for our embarkation port. We wanted to spend several extra days exploring Italy. The embarkation was so easy, as almost no one was getting on in Rome. The drawback is that the flights were more expensive than going to Barcelona.

Thanks for the information. We are actually looking at doing 2 cruises, one on the Jade and then one on the Epic. I will research the ports and make our decision. I appreciate the feedback.

I'd make getting between the two ships the thing to make your decision. Where does the Jade end up and on what day? If it's Venice, for example, then if would just be a train to Rome. How many days would be between the cruises. I'd think that was practical stuff that will have a big impact.

On a personal level, I prefer Barcelona, but they are both fantastic cities. I can getting both fairly easily though, and have been to each a few times. If this is likely to be your only visit then I'd guess Rome would have more appeal to be able to spend more than a day at, as it probably has more of what are considered "must see" places.

Barcelona is undoubtedly easier to get to as a port of call, as the port is in the city. As an embarkation port you need transport to get from the Airport so the distance may be less of an issue.

Thanks for the information. I am in the early stages of planning this one, so all info is appreciated. There would be 1 day between the Jade in Venice and the Epic in Barcelona. And 4 days between Venice and Rome embarkation dates. So I am thinking Rome would be the best option. we could spend an extra day in Venice and 3 days in Rome.

The only drawback is the Jade does not go to Athens, which I originally thought I want to visit. So I have now broadened my Eastern tour to look at other cruise lines and compare. It takes work to plan a great vacation!

Thanks for all the great info and ideas.

Going out of Barcelona is easier, since the cruise port is close to the city and airport.

If you do a pre or post cruise and haven't been to Rome, I would go with Rome and spend a 4-5 days in Rome. There is a lot to see in Rome.

Going out of Barcelona is easier, since the cruise port is close to the city and airport.

If you do a pre or post cruise and haven't been to Rome, I would go with Rome and spend a 4-5 days in Rome. There is a lot to see in Rome.

This will be our first European visit, so we want to make sure we do out homework! We are not retired,yet, so we do not have unlimited time but we are looking at 3 weeks in Europe. There's so much 8 want to see but know It is not possible to do it all. Thanks for the helpful info. I do appreciate everyone's input because it can save new planners hours in the long run.

The only drawback is the Jade does not go to Athens, which I originally thought I want to visit. So I have now broadened my Eastern tour to look at other cruise lines and compare. It takes work to plan a great vacation!

The Jade does alternating itineraries and one of them does go to Athens. Could you move the dates back or forward a week to get on that one. I think it's a better itinerary anyway.

Given the times you are looking at, Rome looks perfect to me. Venice to Barcelona in a day will be fairly rushed, whereas 4 days to get to Rome is perfect. A day in Venice, train journey to Rome (the trains are very good) and a couple of days in Rome. Cheaper as well.

I have sailed out of both ports over the years and for a first timer to Europe I would recommend Barcelona. Rome can be done but it gets complicated. There is so much to see in Rome that you really need several days to take everything in. Then there is the question of where to stay and how does one get to the port. If you are in good health and don't want to spend a whole lot of money Rome can be done if you like taking the local transportation and doing a lot of home work.

Here is what I like about Barcelona:

1. At the airport it is easy to get to the port or downtown. Easy in easy out is the answer. A taxis is much cheaper in Barcelona than Rome. If want and have the time you can always take the Aero Porto bus in Barcelona to the plaza at a very reasonable rate. I trust the taxi drivers in Barcelona.... Rome!#? Questionable. Work around it if you can.

2. Hotel prices in Barcelona are cheap compared to Rome. You can find a 4 star hotel in Barcelona at a reasonable rate even in Las Rambles... I like the new convention area close to the beach and two story shopping center. Prices range from $89 to $160 if you do your homework.

3. The port in Barcelona is easy to access form a downtown Hotel. You don't want to take a taxi to the port from Rome. If you are very rich then that's a different issue. About a $20 taxi ride to the port of Barcelona. Make sure you have Euro's.

4. There is a lot to see in Barcelona. Sure there are pick pockets but just don't flash things like money, jewelry, or credit cards. In Rome by all means don't keep credit cards in an open pocket. That's advertising "come and get it." I recommend for women not to carry a purse in either Barcelona or Rome when sight seeing. Use your head know your surroundings and you will have a great time.

Like I said earlier. Both ports work but for a first timer Rome gets very complicated. Tim

The Jade does alternating itineraries and one of them does go to Athens. Could you move the dates back or forward a week to get on that one. I think it's a better itinerary anyway.

Given the times you are looking at, Rome looks perfect to me. Venice to Barcelona in a day will be fairly rushed, whereas 4 days to get to Rome is perfect. A day in Venice, train journey to Rome (the trains are very good) and a couple of days in Rome. Cheaper as well.

Thanks for the info. When I originally looked at the cruises, I thought the Jade went to Athens. I will need to go back and looks as we are fairly flexible drying the fall (Sept-Oct) timeframe. ThAnks

I have sailed out of both ports over the years and for a first timer to Europe I would recommend Barcelona. Rome can be done but it gets complicated. There is so much to see in Rome that you really need several days to take everything in. Then there is the question of where to stay and how does one get to the port. If you are in good health and don't want to spend a whole lot of money Rome can be done if you like taking the local transportation and doing a lot of home work.

Here is what I like about Barcelona:

1. At the airport it is easy to get to the port or downtown. Easy in easy out is the answer. A taxis is much cheaper in Barcelona than Rome. If want and have the time you can always take the Aero Porto bus in Barcelona to the plaza at a very reasonable rate. I trust the taxi drivers in Barcelona.... Rome!#? Questionable. Work around it if you can.

2. Hotel prices in Barcelona are cheap compared to Rome. You can find a 4 star hotel in Barcelona at a reasonable rate even in Las Rambles... I like the new convention area close to the beach and two story shopping center. Prices range from $89 to $160 if you do your homework.

3. The port in Barcelona is easy to access form a downtown Hotel. You don't want to take a taxi to the port from Rome. If you are very rich then that's a different issue. About a $20 taxi ride to the port of Barcelona. Make sure you have Euro's.

4. There is a lot to see in Barcelona. Sure there are pick pockets but just don't flash things like money, jewelry, or credit cards. In Rome by all means don't keep credit cards in an open pocket. That's advertising "come and get it." I recommend for women not to carry a purse in either Barcelona or Rome when sight seeing. Use your head know your surroundings and you will have a great time.

Like I said earlier. Both ports work but for a first timer Rome gets very complicated. Tim

Thanks for the great info. We really appreciate the tips. We are in good health (mid 50s. That can hold our own!) there's great things about all the ports so it comes down to the best schedule that fits what we want to see and do.

I was just looking at the hotels in the same Barcelona area you mentioned.

Cruise critic is a great place to get some much info from seasoned travelers to the area you are going to .

This will be our first European visit, so we want to make sure we do out homework! We are not retired,yet, so we do not have unlimited time but we are looking at 3 weeks in Europe. There's so much 8 want to see but know It is not possible to do it all. Thanks for the helpful info. I do appreciate everyone's input because it can save new planners hours in the long run.

If you are doing three weeks in Europe, with one week on Epic, that gives you two more weeks.

You can choose between Spain and Italy. I would go with Italy.

Two weeks in Italy, you can see Rome, Florence, Tuscany or Umbria and Venice.

If you go out of Barcelona, you could take the high speed train to Madrid, and see Toledo and Segovia as well.