Size of ship

cruisinappy

I have only cruised once on the Carnival Glory and loved it. We now have two small children (2 & 4) and would like to try a Disney cruise. My family especially myself are prone to motion sickness. We would try to book midship of course but how much does size of ship matter for sea sickness? I know it would depend on the seas of course but on the Glory we didn't feel much movement at all and I wasn't sick one day. We like the itinerary of the Magic and the price but I am concerned about the smaller size. Would it be better to go for the Fantasy purely because it is a larger ship? Nothing is worth being that sick and taking medications isn't an option for one of the children.

Thoughts?

I suspect that it has more to do with the stabilizers than with the size of the ship.

I get quite ill on small boats, but never had a problem on the Magic or other cruise ship EXCEPT the time that one stabilizer on the Magic broke. That was an interesting trip.

As noted, stabilizers and course have far more to do with it than size of ship in most cases. As an example, we had a fairly rough ride one night on the Magic, but it didn't start until the captain had to turn towards debarkation port. Same sea conditions, barely noticable, but then a 65 degree turn and bounce city.

As noted, stabilizers and course have far more to do with it than size of ship in most cases. As an example, we had a fairly rough ride one night on the Magic, but it didn't start until the captain had to turn towards debarkation port. Same sea conditions, barely noticable, but then a 65 degree turn and bounce city.

It is usually a little rough as the ship traverses the gulf stream to get in and out of the port.

All DCL ships are stabilised but the newer ones bring larger and having the latest technology are far better, a midship mid deck location us best. Do not go to lower decks they get vibration from the sea and engineers and feel enclosed, you need fresh sir, a view of the horizon so midship mid deck is best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When your talking 80,000 and 128,000 ton vessels, size is not really a factor and the stabilizers on both class vessels are excellent.

DF's choice of cabins is more to the point, mid deck cabin, about the mid point from fore to aft would be your best bet.

AKK

If you say mid ship mid deck does that preclude ANY of the porthole cabins on the Fantasy and Dream?

The 9Bs are mid ship but on Deck 2 and the higher categories are higher on the ship but either fore or aft.

All DCL ships are stabilised but the newer ones bring larger and having the latest technology are far better, a midship mid deck location us best. Do not go to lower decks they get vibration from the sea and engineers and feel enclosed, you need fresh sir, a view of the horizon so midship mid deck is best.

I don't agree with this. While it is true that the newer ships were built to the most up to date standards, the Magic duck tail functions as a stabilizer and a counterbalance to the new slide. Having been on the Magic and Fantasy recently, I can attest that there is not a significant difference.

Each person reacts differently to motion sickness issues. Some need to be in open air or see the horizon; others do better being horizontal (in bed) with eyes closed. The motion is least at water level and mid ship. The farther you deviate from these, the more the motion. I've never experienced any "vibration from the sea" on deck 2; not sure what this is referring to. The only place I've experienced engine noise/vibration is far aft; that can happen at all deck levels (we experienced it on deck 7).

We were on the Dream over the 4th of July weekend. Our cabin was deck 5, about 4 cabins from the front of the ship. The first night was VERY windy and the seas slightly rough due to the remnants of hurricane Arthur and we could SLIGHTLY feel a bit of movement until about 11:30PM but not even bad and none of us got seasick, my husband was worried he would. We did feel vibrations from our room as the ship pulled into a port probably from being right on the front of the ship, but again not bad.

I don't agree with this. While it is true that the newer ships were built to the most up to date standards' date=' the Magic duck tail functions as a stabilizer and a counterbalance to the new slide. Having been on the Magic and Fantasy recently, I can attest that there is not a significant difference.

Each person reacts differently to motion sickness issues. Some need to be in open air or see the horizon; others do better being horizontal (in bed) with eyes closed. The motion is least at water level and mid ship. The farther you deviate from these, the more the motion. I've never experienced any "vibration from the sea" on deck 2; not sure what this is referring to. The only place I've experienced engine noise/vibration is far aft; that can happen at all deck levels (we experienced it on deck 7).[/quote']

Expert advice on motion sickness.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/prevent-motion-sickness-cruise-1777.html

Lower decks are enclosed, nearer the vibration of the waves and dinginess, and are bad for sea sickness.

Mid ship mid deck is best see the link on expert advice.

The ships flex in the water and not one deck can move more or less than another as there all attached to each other.

Forward and aft do move a bit more at either end but the middle like a child's seesaw moves less on any deck.

Fantasy and Dream as newer have the latest technology and latest stabilisers so move less but didn't purchase the Asipods that other lines now use that reduce movement further.

Edited by DISNEY FANTASY

The article referenced above gives many good tips--which again would imply that not every one of them works for any one person. People respond to different interventions. While some may do well in open air and having a view of the horizon, I know that I need to lie down as close to the water level as possible and close my eyes (the issue is a disconnect between what my eyes are seeing and my vestibular system is perceiving.)

If one "solution" worked for everyone, the article wouldn't have to list multiple suggestions.

While the seesaw analogy is not a perfect one (as it doesn't account for roll and yaw motion), the fulcrum of the ship in the analogy is midship at the water line. This is the area of least motion....again, discounting the motions not addressed by this model.

Bottom line--with the stabilizer systems on the ships, under normal circumstances there is very little motion.

There are many factors besides size that govern how a ship handles in rough water. In addition to the use of stabilizers, the actual design of the ship matters greatly. Some ships are more "tender" (a naval architectural term) which means that they tend to roll and pitch more than others in similar sea states. It typically has to do with how high the center of gravity of the vessel is as compared to the water line, but even that is an oversimplification. Perhaps Tonkas Skipper can help here.

At any rate, the least relative motion on board a ship is at the center of gravity. Thats up/down, for/aft, and port/starboard. In other words, the "center" of the ship.

At any rate, the least relative motion on board a ship is at the center of gravity. Thats up/down, for/aft, and port/starboard. In other words, the "center" of the ship.

If you are trying to calculate the center of the ship, remember that there are several "non-guest" decks below the first guest area.

It's different for everyone, regardless of what the experts say. While it's all good advice, you're only going to figure out what works for you by trial and error. I get horribly motion sick but over the years I've gotten used to the ship movements and am not bothered by them as much as I once was. That said, if I'm going to be sick, I'm going to be sick. NOTHING helps. Not cabin location, fresh air, starting at the horizon, size of the ship, etc. I have to lay down until it's over.

If you and your family are prone to motion sickness and you keep cruising, you WILL at some point fall victim. It may be a storm or simply choppy seas but it will happen. Take ginger tea and ginger candy to help with upset stomachs, get meds from the guest services desk, keep a positive attitude and get some extra sleep. It will stop when the waves calm down and you can get back to your cruise.

With all things being equal, motion sickness is generally from the perception of what your eyes see, and your body feels. For example, when Back to the Future first opened at Universal in Orlando, the ride was very slightly out of sync with the video. Not enough for the average person to notice, but enough that just about every body getting off the ride was getting sick, to some degree.

Same basic principal with sea sickness. Your eyes see the walls not moving but your body feels the roll or pitch of a ship.

The best places on a ship, is as close as possible to the ships center of gravity. This point will move from trip to trip and even during a trip, as fuel is burned, ballast is taken on or pumped off etc. The further you are from that point, vertically and horizontally, the more motion you will feel. Doesn't matter if its the Magic Class, Dream Class or even the Oasis Class.

For those that are susceptible to motion sickness, best place, inside midships. 2nd best, though not by much is midship balcony. There about equal with the deciding factor being the cause of the discomfort. A balcony offers you the option to sit in a chair, looking at the horizon and basically letting your system reset itself. The further out you look, with as little as possible in the foreground the better.

If a person feels sick, do 2 things if you are going to stand at a balcony.

1. Locate the nearest bathroom ahead of time.

2. Take stock of which way the wind is blowing. If it is blowing in your face, and you think you might get sick, beeline to the restroom. Otherwise you might end up wearing something undesirable, or someone standing nearby might get it.

Stabilizers on all ships are computer controlled, and are designed to limit or reduce the side to side motion of a ship. They don't do much if anything for pitching (bow going up and down) motion. Theres any number of reasons for a ship to roll or pitch, and in some cases theres not much that can be done about it.

If it were me, Id select my ship based on the itinerary I wanted, and select a lower balcony cabin.

Edited by truck1