Disabled Guest On A Scooter

AZCAMM

Has anyone seen a guest using a motorized scooter on board The Carnival Pride ? My mom is disabled and will be coming aboard to observe my son's wedding in Long Beach. I'm wondering how it works with embarkation from

the dome to the very high and long bridge to the ship. Any help will be much appreciated ....Thanks

Thank you for your information. She's pretty independant but will need help in

this instance. She's very excited to be on board the ship as she's never been on a cruise before, except the Big White Steamship to Catalina Island.

We just came home from the Mexican Riviera on the Pride. We were is 8177 and the folks in the room, 8179 - next door to us, both were using scooters. They had great difficulty and it took them a long time to get in and out of their room. The door space was hardly big enough. Many times the man had to get off and try to push the scooter through. The wife also used a crutch when she got off the scooter and many times they just left their scooters in the hallway. When they got the scooters into their rooms they had almost no space to move. They were very nice people and we felt really bad for them. I never saw a Carnival crew assist them in the halls. We saw them in the main dining room and on other floors and they were fine, it is just when using their cabin where they had a lot of difficulty.

I cruised with my Mom on Celebrity and she used a scooter. We had a handicapped room and everything was so much easier for her. I don't know if Carnival has handicapped rooms - doorways are wider, the bathroom is well designed, and all the entryways -- bathroom, and balcony -- are all flat so the scooters, wheelchairs, and crutches, etc., can be accomodating for the handicapped person. None of us can even remember the "Carnival neighbors" even out on their balcony.

We used three cabins and our family included 2 young chiildren in strollers. Everything at the Carnival check-in did have elevator access so everyone using scooters or wheelchairs or strollers were able to move thoughout the ship and embarkation pretty easily.

I hope this info helps clear some things up for you and your Mom. Any other questions - please contact me. Dianne

Thank you so much for all that info. She's really not going to be sailing with us but will be on board for the wedding and reception. Of course, if time allows we want her

to be able to look around the ship since she's there. How was your trip? I just can't wait till we go. We've went 2 years ago and loved it. Thanks again.

Dianne:

F.Y.I. Although they may not be as large as Celebrity's, Carnival has had handicap cabins with wider doors, specially equipped bathrooms, etc. Therefore I suspect your neighbors with scooters were in a regular cabin which is why they had difficulty.

Archived