Oceania: Shore Excursions

spa_bob

My wife and I are considering a cruise in 2015 with Oceania Cruises probably in the Western Med. We've never sailed Oceania and have only sailed the Caribbean. We're unfamiliar with the process of setting up shore excursions although I have read that it is usually cheaper to set them up some other way than through the cruise line. How does one do that? What are the average costs? As a hypothetical, assume we are on the Oceania RIVIERA doing the Lisbon to Rome cruise. Thanks.

My wife and I are considering a cruise in 2015 with Oceania Cruises probably in the Western Med. We've never sailed Oceania and have only sailed the Caribbean. We're unfamiliar with the process of setting up shore excursions although I have read that it is usually cheaper to set them up some other way than through the cruise line. How does one do that? What are the average costs? As a hypothetical, assume we are on the Oceania RIVIERA doing the Lisbon to Rome cruise. Thanks.

Hello Bob, and welcome to Cruise Critic! :D

The best and easiest way to set up Shore Excursions is to join the Roll Call for your particular Cruise.

Search Here by Date:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=714

There you will be able to network with dozens of other like minded Passengers who are sailing with you, and have similar ideas.

Enjoy!!!

That's a fantastic itinerary with many ports you can do on your own. Of course look at your roll call for groups. Do your homework and get a good book on the areas such Rick Steve's and enjoy your time o and off Oceania.

to start your own group if none are offered on your roll call.

I have planned all my own excursions since our first cruise in 2007.

It is work, but YOU can book the guide YOU want, have the group the size YOU want, choose the itinerary YOU want, and make special requests of those who join. ( I ask that participants please be non smokers, and ask that guides/drivers be non smoking as well...for instance in St Petersburg, where I didn't know who my guide from SPB tours would be.) My reward for doing all the work, is I get the front seat with the driver, as I have built up a rapport with them. I used to take turns with other people, but I found no one else asked questions, and driving was the best time to ask about schools/health/ way of life. I avoid religion and politics.

I book my cruises WAY far out, the shortest time from booking to sailing was 8 months, longest 18 months. ASAP after booking, I book my guides, as some of them I have now used 3 times!

I find a lot of roll calls will have people wanting to JOIN private tours, but no one has actually PLANNED a private tour, until 6 months or so before sailing.

Planning does involve lots of emails back and forth between guides and fellow CCers, and trust on both sides. I have had a couple of hiccups in my 6 cruises, but nothing major at all.

To me, the price can't be beat. I usually have 6-8 people on my tours, the most has been 12 for a particularly pricey tour.

Price wise, one example I can remember was from our first cruise. I booked a tour from Civitivecchia(Rome) for the day. Only 4 people were on it. It cost 250E per couple, the most we have EVER paid for a private tour. This was approx the same price as the O tour. However, we were 4 people with our own guide and driver, rather than on a bus with 30-40.

Tours have generally averaged about 150E per couple in the Med, most expensive on our last B2B cruise was 180ishE per couple. (with 6-8 people)

You will love doing the Med on Oceania!

Edited by tropicalkerry2002
clarification