Herculaneum tour company recommendation

Vineyard View

My DH and I would like to book a private or semi-private tour to Herculaneum during the port day that we are in Naples. We would appreciate any tour company recommendations? We also would like to spend a little time in Naples and suggestions would be welcome. THank you

In May I did a RomeInLimo tour you can find on their web site. Positano, Sorrento and Herculaneum full day tour from Naples. It was a wonderful tour.

I suggest going to Pompeii (Pompei Scavi stop) first, as it's farther away, then you can stop at Herculaneum (Ercolano Scavi) enroute back to Naples.

................... plus Herculaneum is very much smaller & plenty of shade, making it much more relaxing later in the day than wilting in the sun at Pompeii.

For Brits or other EC citizens admission to both is free for seniors plus big reductions for students etc. Check the websites for details & take your passport or other govt-issued proof.

You can hire a guide or rent an audio guide at both.

JB :)

I can vouch that this is so easy to do on your own. You don't need to speak Italian. No need to waste money on expensive tours unless you want that peace of mind and personalized service....and can afford it. In my opinion, you will see far more of Italian life using public transport than in an A/C van! You will probably also reach the sites faster on the Circumsuviana than by road.

You can easily combine Pompei and Herculaneum with some time in Sorrento as they are all on the same train line.

Edited by kfowinst

You can easily combine Pompei and Herculaneum with some time in Sorrento as they are all on the same train line.

.................. or make it an interesting round trip by taking the ferry from the pier adjacent to the Naples cruise terminal to Sorrento ( it's also quicker), up the hill from Sorrento harbour to town by elevator or little shuttlebus, then the Circumvesuviana train back to Naples, stopping off at Pompeii and/or Herculaneum on the way. Though depending on your back-on-board time, fitting in all three won't give you long at any of them.

I can vouch that this is so easy to do on your own. You don't need to speak Italian. No need to waste money on expensive tours unless you want that peace of mind and personalized service....and can afford it. In my opinion, you will see far more of Italian life using public transport than in an A/C van! You will probably also reach the sites faster on the Circumsuviana than by road.

Isn't that the truth...!

I was in Sorrento for a week a couple of years ago and we used the Circumvesuviana extensively to get around to all the various Roman ruins around Vesuvius. It was a real slice of life -- kids headed to school together in the mornings, frazzled commuters headed to and from work, older folks going shopping in the next town over who'd probably been using the train all their lives. :D

• 1 month later...
.................. or make it an interesting round trip by taking the ferry from the pier adjacent to the Naples cruise terminal to Sorrento ( it's also quicker), up the hill from Sorrento harbour to town by elevator or little shuttlebus, then the Circumvesuviana train back to Naples, stopping off at Pompeii and/or Herculaneum on the way. Though depending on your back-on-board time, fitting in all three won't give you long at any of them.

Would love to visit Herculaneum but like the idea of taking a ferry to Sorrento and train back to Naples. We are in Naples 8AM to 2PM. Do you think that would be enough time? How easy is it to get to the pier from the cruise terminal?

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back and used www.seeamalficoast.com for the second time. Look at their website. They arranged for a private guide in Herculaneum. He was fantastic. We spent 2 hrs touring with him. We were finishing up as the tour buses were coming in. Our group chose to do the Amalfi coast after that with a great lunch! Highly recommend them!

Hi, with the train you could spent an hour in Herculaneum and you have a chance to visit Pompeii too as both are on the same line of the Circumvesuviana from Naples to Sorrento.

But if you have strict time you should consider to hire a driver, there are some local company that provide this services where you can send a request for pricing, just have a look here:

http://sorrentocoastlimo.com/Itinerary_for_an_archealogical_visit

http://www.sorrentolimo.com/en/pompeii_vesuvius_herculaneum_tour.html

Or you can consider the portal below too :

http://www.viator.com/tours/Naples/Pompeii-and-Herculaneum-Day-Trip-from-Naples/d508-5921POMPERCOLANO

http://www.getyourguide.com/pompeii-l685/pompeii-herculaneum-from-amalfi-ravello-praiano-positano-t28276/

But actually I don't know if they are local operator or not.

................... plus Herculaneum is very much smaller & plenty of shade, making it much more relaxing later in the day than wilting in the sun at Pompeii.

For Brits or other EC citizens admission to both is free for seniors plus big reductions for students etc. Check the websites for details & take your passport or other govt-issued proof.

You can hire a guide or rent an audio guide at both.

This concesssion was revoked by the Italian Government effective from 1st July 2014, now everyone over 18 pays the full fee of 11 euros. They also made it FREE to all on the first Sunday of every month, and that applies to all historical sites and museums across Italy.