Post cruise day, what to do?

kona_wahine

Our flight leaves FLL at 6:30, and we will pick up a rental car approx 8:30 at POM. What would you recommend someone from Oregon to do? I was thinking an Everglades tour, but maybe a day at miami beach? What do you all recommend? Just need to leave enough time to get the car back to FLL at 5:00. Thanks in advance!

I don't know what rental car co. you booked but be aware you may have to wait in line for an hour or more for your car. I booked Dollar a few weeks ago and I waited in a really long line after arriving at the MIA airport from POM. Cut into our day, which wasn't a big deal bc we didn't leave until after 5. We've been to Miami too many times to count because we lived in Florida for several years. However, it can make a difference if you have an excursion planned.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I rented from Avis at the POM to be returned at FLL. That's what we did in pt canaveral and it worked well. We have FTTF so can get off first-ish and grab the shuttle.

Is there a certain park/tour at the Everglades that shouldn't be missed? How far is it there?

This is a popular park. Used by some cruiselines for their post cruise excursion. Check tripadvisor.com for the top tourist sites and activities in and around Miami for more ideas.

http://www.evergladesholidaypark.com/

Another option if you haven't been, is to head to South Beach for lunch and a look around. It is fun...you can rent bikes, segways or pick up a hop on/hop off bus tour or Ducks tour that will take you all around.

You have lots of time. So I'd research and choose the things that interest you. With the car, you don't have to worry about your luggage..a big plus.

Edited by eandj

South Beach is very close to the port and is a fun place to spend the day. If it's a weekend you should allow an hour to get to FLL and if it's a weekday, 90 minutes. You might do it in half the time, but better safe than sorry in case there is a wait to return the car etc.

I rented from Avis at the POM to be returned at FLL. That's what we did in pt canaveral and it worked well. We have FTTF so can get off first-ish and grab the shuttle.

Is there a certain park/tour at the Everglades that shouldn't be missed? How far is it there?

You might check Groupon they were offering discount tickets to Everglades Holiday Park...We had more time pre-cruise and used Sawgrass Recreation Park.