Question from a RCCL Newbie!

I've been Loyal to CCL but, I've been considering trying RCCL. After researching Oasis of the Seas pricing I have a questions for Seasoned Cruisers.

1. Does RCCL honor price drops and reward OBC? (example: If my reserved category drops in price will it be honored with OBC or upgrades?)

2. Where would I find the list of surcharges for specialty dining ( ice cream, deserts, burgers, or etc)?

I've been Loyal to CCL but, I've been considering trying RCCL. After researching Oasis of the Seas pricing I have a questions for Seasoned Cruisers.

1. Does RCCL honor price drops and reward OBC? (example: If my reserved category drops in price will it be honored with OBC or upgrades?)

2. Where would I find the list of surcharges for specialty dining ( ice cream, deserts, burgers, or etc)?

Regarding pricing, once you book a reservation your price is locked against any future increase. However you can take advantage of any price decrease prior to final payment.

After final payment, you can upgrade to a higher stateroom category if the price decreases to an attractive level as long as there is a resulting payment from you or the new pricing is not for new bookings only.

RCI does not provide an OBC or price adjustment to your booking, however, for price decreases after final payment in the category you booked.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Regarding pricing, once you book a reservation your price is locked against any future increase. However you can take advantage of any price decrease prior to final payment.

After final payment, you can upgrade to a higher stateroom category if the price decreases to an attractive level as long as there is a resulting payment from you or the new pricing is not for new bookings only.

RCI does not provide an OBC or price adjustment to your booking, however, for price decreases after final payment in the category you booked.

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I have a Clearer understanding on the difference between the different cruiselines. I noticed a big difference in the price between the two. I'm curious to try the RCCL brand.

Give RCCL a try, I think you will enjoy it. While there are some differences between the two I think they are probably more alike that they are different. The exception of course is the Oasis of the Seas. It is amazing what a wonderful ship for you to experience RCCL on, but I will caution you, once you've experienced the Oasis you will be spoiled !

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I have a Clearer understanding on the difference between the different cruiselines. I noticed a big difference in the price between the two. I'm curious to try the RCCL brand.

I'm sure you will enjoy Oasis - she is unlike any other ship!

Once you try the Oasis....you will be hooked on it....trust me.

Remember that, for the Oasis and Allure, you should prebook your shows. No extra charge, but you might not get in to see a show if you don't reserve it. I'm not sure how far in advance -- I think it is around 60 days, but others will know for sure. Some other RCI ships might do this also -- I think the Freedom OTS did, and maybe still does.

We are avid Carnival Cruisers.

RCCL is a bit more flexible when it comes to their pricing and sales.

On Carnival we tend to book Early saver rate which doesn't allow for too much in regards of changes or cancellations. Royal you can search for a great deal and still cancel if the need be.

For our next cruise we priced out Carnival Breeze (again- loved that ship)vs Allure. Breeze actually came in about $900 higher for an Ocean view balcony room. We snagged an amazing Canadian Resident deal on the Allure.

The lines are similar as far as "Processes" On board account, Dining times , YTD/MTD, luggage tags ...etc

Royal ...you MUST reserve your shows ahead of time. You can not just show up like Carnivals shows.

There are more complementary dining options on the Oasis. Room service has a surcharge between midnight and 5:30am $3.95 per order I think it is.

RCCL Has better beverage programs. They have a Soda program like Carnival. As well a $20/day Royal Replenish package that includes bottled water, frozen drinks , speciality coffees and much more. I wish Carnival would have this as well.

Room service Menu is better on RCCL then Carnival.

Oasis / Allure you can have the best of both worlds. Book a Boardwalk (Interior) Balcony room and have a view of the ocean and a view of the Boardwalk down below. Since you're at the Aft you can also watch the Aqua theatre shows from your balcony. Tip is to book as far back as you can. Some people say they don't like the fact that the balcony across from you can see into your room if the curtains are open. Solution~ Close your curtains :)

We always book a Grand suite on Carnival. But that is in no way what so ever equivalent to a "Grand suite" on Oasis or Allure. ;)

Hmmm...what else....

no Chocolate Melting cake on RCCL!

Edited by vacation_junkie

On Carnival we tend to book Early saver rate which doesn't allow for too much in regards of changes or cancellations. Royal you can search for a great deal and still cancel if the need be...

But Carnival's Early Saver rate does give you price drops after final payment, right? This would be a nice option to have on Royal.

...Royal ...you MUST reserve your shows ahead of time. You can not just show up like Carnivals shows...

Just want to clarify for others, this largely applies only to Oasis and Allure. The 19 other ships in the fleet do not have advance reservations of shows, with the exception of one show (the ice show) on Freedom and Liberty.

Edited by clarea

this a good guide for restaurants...

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/General_Info/Flyers/10020614_Allure_Specialty_Restaurant_Flyer.pdf

Give RCCL a try, I think you will enjoy it. While there are some differences between the two I think they are probably more alike that they are different. The exception of course is the Oasis of the Seas. It is amazing what a wonderful ship for you to experience RCCL on, but I will caution you, once you've experienced the Oasis you will be spoiled !

Thanks So Much for the Vital Information. I'm leaning towards this Adventure. Now I just have to get over the Sticker Shock!!:eek: LOL

Just to give you an idea of what RC does if there is a price drop...we are booked on Oasis for the Aug 30 2 day cruise to the Bahamas...this is a fill in cruise as Oasis is headed on a Transatlantic on Sept 1...we had booked a Large Interior room. There was a substantial price drop. One call and we are upgraded to a Boardwalk Balcony room.

I've read many people post how the night life on Carnival is better than on Royal. Having sailed both lines, that's just not true. It all depends on what ship you are on, what time of year you sail and the particular mix of passengers that you are sailing with. We had one of our best cruises on the Carnival Magic, very fun. Wasn't overly impressed with Carnival Triumph (post disaster) except for Guy's Burgers and the Blue Iguana. Conversely, have had some great times on Navigator of the Seas and a so-so cruise on Mariner of the Seas. It's all about your perspective!

And, yes, Oasis and Allure are very pricey. But if you look at the amenities available on these ships you see that the ships themselves are a destination.

Sailing with only one cruise line is like eating at the same restaurant every time you go out to dinner. If you don't try out the other places, you'll never know what you are missing! ;)

Edited by OKC Cruisers