Crazy Question ~. Excursions

UpstateCruizer

Yes, I warned that this is going to be a crazy question! My dh has always heard that an Alaska cruise is a must. People rave about them and it renews his interest all over again. We've heard that summer is the best time to go as it's not as cold and I've read on here to expect rain.

We typically do not do ship excursions and prefer to find something fairly close to the ports (within an hour of the port area). While looking at some of the excursions that the cruise lines offer it seems most of the excursions are by helicopter or boat. Are there things to do in the port areas that would still allow us to experience some of Alaska without having to get on a helicopter or boat?

Edited by UpstateCruizer

absolutely! we're going in August and I only booked 1 excursion and that is the Alaska Railroad as a transfer from Seward to Anchorage. some ports you can rent a car or simply walk around and/or hike. there are several threads about this topic, just search a bit. definitely read the threads here, tons of great info.

there are many threads about renting cars and touring Alaska on your own.

I would say the most popular port for this is Skagway as most ships have the most time in port here. Rent a car from AVIS for about $125 and take a 2-3 hour drive to Emerald Lake. There are just so many interesting things to see and do along the way. You can download Murrays guide for $5.00 which takes this trip and lists all the things to see and do, mile by mile. It is indispensable for this drive. Don't be concerned about the drive . There is ONE highway and you cannot get lost. You can stop as many times as you want, pack a picnic lunch and just enjoy Alaska on your own. You do cross the border into Canada so you need your passport, but just driving into the Yukon is exhilarating.

We also do not do ship's excursions, and Alaska is very easy to experience on your own, again, depending upon what you want to see and do.

Cheers

Len

As Northern Aurora suggested .... tell us which ports so people can offer suggestions. ie a couple of recent trip reports had nice reviews for the Ketchikan Taxi Cab Tours. They drive you around to see top sights in the area.

Would you consider renting a car in order to get away from the port and enjoy some nearby sights?

Research and planning is the key to make the most of your Alaska time. It is not enough to just wander around the port, in my opinion. Getting "out" offers unlimited adventures. :)

Frankly, flights and boat tours are excellent and offer some spectacular touring. But so are some free hiking trails, rental cars, etc.

Best is to narrow down your interests, what do YOU want out of your trip, what do YOU wish to see and do?? (asking yourself) Make lists and keep narrowing them, resisit jumping into choices, until given some time looking. :)