Formal Nights

tuppence

Hi hope you can help. We are off on a circumnavigation of Australia next Feb/March on Diamond Princess and are wondering about dress code now on Princess as its been a few years since we travelled on a Princess ship. Should my husband pack a tux or suit? Very excited:) Thanks

Hi hope you can help. We are off on a circumnavigation of Australia next Feb/March on Diamond Princess and are wondering about dress code now on Princess as its been a few years since we travelled on a Princess ship. Should my husband pack a tux or suit? Very excited:) Thanks

On cruises in the Australian area, probably a slightly larger percentage of men wear suits rather than a tux, but your husband would have plenty of company whichever he chooses to wear.:)

On cruises in the Australian area, probably a slightly larger percentage of men wear suits rather than a tux, but your husband would have plenty of company whichever he chooses to wear.:)

We have had the same experience. I bring my tux and have never felt out of place

If he doesn't bring a tux, a business suit or blazer will be fine. Additionally, a nice dress shirt (collar, long sleeves) and tie are acceptable.

On another note, you can save space and baggage weight (definite concern for air travel. Especially internationsl flights), by "renting" a tuxedo on-board. Package will include a shirt for each formal night.

We have been on 2 Princess cruises this year and my husband wore a sports coat, good trousers, long sleeve shirt and no tie. This was quite acceptable for cruises out of Australia.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

DH has very recently stopped taking his tuxedo with him. Every year less and less men seem to be wearing them. He takes a navy blue sports coat.

LuLu

This is what we have discovered

Formal night used to be the night to dress up

Today with the ships so large You see every thing from levies with holes to tux

If the ship is to have formal night they should enforce the rules and have restrictions of where you can go on the ship without a jacket and tie

We have bean to Mackinac Island in Michigan and at the Grand Hotel after 5:30 PM you had to have coat & tie to be in any Public Place even on the large Porch

This is what we have discovered

Formal night used to be the night to dress up

Today with the ships so large You see every thing from levies with holes to tux

If the ship is to have formal night they should enforce the rules and have restrictions of where you can go on the ship without a jacket and tie

We have bean to Mackinac Island in Michigan and at the Grand Hotel after 5:30 PM you had to have coat & tie to be in any Public Place even on the large Porch

A lot of people just aren't in to dressing up any more. From the work place to nice restaurants, it's just not happening. I don't let what others do bother me. My happiness and joy in cruising doesn't depend on what someone else chooses to wear or not wear. People still dress nicer on cruises for dinner than anywhere else I eat.

The original question was about a cruise around Australia and I have repeated my original comment. On short cruises (12-14 nights) to the Pacific islands the demographic is younger and maybe only 90% of people dress up, rather than 95% on longer cruises. :D

I haven't heard about tuxes available for rent on Australian-based Princess ships.