Irene?

gmillay

We will be leaving this Saturday the 13th for Bermuda on the Celebrity Zenith and we've been watching the potential tropical storm "Irene" which is in the vicinity. Just curious what others might be thinking regarding this storm....do you think it will affect Bermuda at all?

I am going on Sunday on the NCL Crown. I think it will be rough for you, but okay for me. It should pass by Bermuda on Sunday and be far away on Monday, at-least I hope so.

I check the following sites, twice a day to see what the weathers like...

Bermuda Weather

http://www.weather.com/activities/travel/businesstraveler/weather/tenday.html?locid=BDA:9

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/IntlLocalStd.asp?loc=txkf&seg=LocalWeather&prodgrp=Forecast&product=Forecast&prodnav=none&pid=none

http://www.wunderground.com/global/BE.html

http://www.weather.bm/

Tropical Forecast

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/USNationalStd.asp?loc=usa&seg=StormCenter&prodgrp=Tropical&product=ActiveTropical&prodnav=none&pid=none

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/tropical/?from=footer

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Stacy Miller

gmillary,

My family will be on the Zenith this Saturday too. I've prepared the children for the possibility that we might be taking a trip to Canada instead, something they very much are hoping for. They've never been to Bermuda and they think Canada is pretty cool!

I'll be checking the National Hurricane Center regularly for updates on Irene's path.

All I know is my life is crazy, in a good way, but crazy nonetheless. I am looking forward to no cooking, no cleaning, no packing ... just relaxing and eating.

We're scheduled to sail on Royal Carribbean Grandeur of the Seas Sunday early evening on 8/14 out of Baltimore to Bermuda (or maybe Canada), (or maybe hang out in the Chesapeke (sp?) Bay).

Here's the latest report. I'm now posting this report at 8:40PM EST. The report is from earlier this evening at 5:05PM EST:

UPDATED: 5:05pm EST, August 10, 2005

IRENE FORECAST TO BECOME A HURRICANE AS IT AIMS STRAIGHT AT NORTH CAROLINA

The latest NHC forecast is quite ominous for folks in North Carolina. Right now, Irene is still a tropical depression. Hard to believe we might be dealing with a landfalling hurricane next week out of this. But the NHC is calling for Irene to reach 80mph as it plows in towards eastern North Carolina. This is the current forecast plot from the NHC and is subject to change. But it is beginning to look like the Carolinas will have to deal with Irene- and most likely North Carolina. Of course, if Irene is curving around the Bermuda High, then points north will have to be aware of future track changes as Irene could affect a lot of people along the Mid-Atlantic states. Stay tuned- this is getting more interesting all the time.

Here's the link to the website where this report came from. They have excellent tracking and wave action info. http://www.hurricanetrack.com/

I'm posting this report at 11:11pm EST, August 10th -- it just came out.

UPDATED: 10:45pm, August 10, 2005

HIT OR MISS? IT IS NOT A DONE DEAL BY ANY STRETCH.

Irene is now a tropical storm again- after a long struggle against some very hostile conditions. Those conditions are improving and Irene is still forecast to become a minimal hurricane in about four days. The NHC notes that intensity forecasting has a lot of uncertainty at the longer time periods- so Irene could be a lot stronger or a lot weaker. We'll have to wait and see.

The track is interesting in that several of the computer models have now shifted Irene to a more northerly course which would likely spare the Carolina coast from a direct hit. The NHC sees this and has shifted their forecast only slightly more to the north- still aiming the storm at North Carolina. The NHC indicates that it is possible for Irene to not make landfall and turn north and then away from the coast. But, they counter that with information suggesting a further west track and a hit somewhere in the Southeast. So- this one is not going to be easy- the only good news here is that we are not talking about a monster hurricane. Irene is small and would not have the same effects as say an Isabel- which was very large and spread out. Still, the forecast shows a hurricane aiming at the Carolina coast, so we need to pay attention and be ready to act if indeed we see some concrete evidence that Irene will make landfall. For now, we will just wait and see. Heard that one before?

Im fairly certain those of you going to Bermuda will be fine.

But the seas will be a bit rough.

Take the meclizine they give for free when you get on and keep taking it, or follow the advice of some in my group.. just drink too much and you wont notice.;)

Take care when you are at the south shore beaches, might have rough surf and riptides like we had last year with Jeanne.

Read the Royal Gazette this morning and was very pleased to find:

"Tuesday - Mostly sunny... Winds moderate southwesterly... Low near 79°, high near 88°."

This is for 8/16 when we are due to arrive in St. George on the M/S Majesty!!

Swizzle, I have grately appreciated all your tips on this board-may you have a great time at the Beach this weekend! (I am going to see how many beaches we can actually make it to in 3.25 days while docked in St. G's) And wish I knew where my student lived (his home is in Bermuda) but I didn't realize I was headed here until after school got out-he really showed me how considerate and friendly the Bermudians are ;)

If the storm is headed for Bermuda they wont sail into or dock there most likely. It is very dangerous for ships to be at dock during tropical storms and hurricanes. That is why the Navy will move theirs.

On a different note, I am on the RCCL to Bermuda Aug 28th for my first cruise (but am an avid sailor) and am amazed that Bermuda which usally has low activity (from a storm standpoint) seems to be as active as the south caribbean.

At any rate, I really dont want to be in Canada but will take that over very rough seas.

Just got off the phone with NCL (Sat. 11:10 A.M. E.S.T.) and they said that there is no change in the cruising schedule. They also said, that if there was going to be a change, they would have announced it already. I will call them later to double-check. Looks like we won't be going to Canada! Hurray!

Stacy Miller

Just got off the phone with NCL (Sat. 11:10 A.M. E.S.T.) and they said that there is no change in the cruising schedule. They also said, that if there was going to be a change, they would have announced it already. I will call them later to double-check. Looks like we won't be going to Canada! Hurray!

Have a few of the warmer clothes ready to go just in case.

Celebrity told us the same thing 2 years ago.

Hopefully you guys can hug the coast and swing in from the south to go to bermuda.

Either way...Have a great time!

Good luck to the people leaving this weekend. We just came back today and had a wonderful time the weather was perfect.

Swizzle, I just wanted to say that you are very lucky that you are able to live in such a beautiful island.

We made it to the Swizzle Inn on the way back from the caves.

Just got off the phone with NCL , again, (Sun. 9:20 A.M. E.S.T.) and they said that there is no change in the cruising schedule.

Looks like we are going to Bermuda :)

Will be onboard the Crown in 3 hours! Yeah!

Stacy Miller

Enjoy N. Crown, Stacy. You should be OK, as N. Crown was built for long-range cruises, and should handle the weather better than most ships. Still, have some seasick remedies on hand.

I'll do the same on N. Majesty... wherever we end up. :)

Good luck to the people leaving this weekend. We just came back today and had a wonderful time the weather was perfect.

Swizzle, I just wanted to say that you are very lucky that you are able to live in such a beautiful island.

We made it to the Swizzle Inn on the way back from the caves.

Glad to hear you had a wonderful trip. The weather was great this weekend and Irene kicked up some nice waves on the shore (3-4 feet), I was at John Smiths and children were having a lot of fun playing in them.

Archived