Mendenhall Glacier viewing by water?

EMED2010

What are my options? I have researched doing the "float" but from what I've read on this site and others, it is pretty lame. I would love to do the kayak experience but none of the four of us (all adults) have ever kayaked and I don't think starting in the ocean is the best idea.

Are there any other types of choices out there where we could get somewhat close to view and take pictures of the floating ice? Thanks!

What are my options? I have researched doing the "float" but from what I've read on this site and others, it is pretty lame. I would love to do the kayak experience but none of the four of us (all adults) have ever kayaked and I don't think starting in the ocean is the best idea.

Are there any other types of choices out there where we could get somewhat close to view and take pictures of the floating ice? Thanks!

Mendenhall isn't on the ocean, but a lake. Mendenhall Lake.

yes, you'll be in a lake. A very cold lake!

kayaking is pretty simple. I had my first experience about 2 yrs ago and LOVED it. At first it feels very unstable, like you're going to flip over, but you get used to it quite quickly. It's wonderful being a sea level like that.

Seward is another option where you could kayak. (I researched it but we chose Valdez instead) The water taxi to your put-in point doubles as a Kenai cruise since it follows the same route. Something to think about .....

I knew it was called Mendenhall Lake but I didn't know if it was a true lake. I thought it flowed into the ocean. :)

Google Maps is a wonderful thing... :D

They even have street view for a lot of the ports, so you can explore them virtually!