Need serious help changing a room

Savlamara

Wow at these responses! :confused: Okay, I guess some of you care for an update...

I did end up changing PVPs. I picked a very nice one after searching online and reading CC forums, I saw a few PVPs that were highly recommended by multiple people. I figured if she couldnt help, her attitude and pleasantness was worth it for me to switch, I am definitely looking forward to working with her in the future! She started working her absolute darndest on my issue even though she didnt do the initial booking. At this point even if she cant find a way to help us, her customer service and positive attitude make her worth her weight in gold. So I am happy because the purpose of a PVP (to ME) is for the personal attention.

I'm sure it was overlooked, but I did indicate in my OP that my initial PVP was not very helpful, most times she offered nothing in the way of additional information or suggestions or deals that I couldnt see for myself online. In fact before booking this cruise I hadnt heard from her in a year. It wasnt until AFTER I had reserved that she actually scolded me for not calling her direct to book! When we did book and pay in full on the guarantee rate she made it seem like we would DEFINITELY all be at the bottom. She even went so far to say she doubts we would even get upgraded but its possible, but VERY rare. Which is why I felt safe booking 2 guaranteeds.

As for the negative Nancy’s, this is the internet (surprise!). You DON'T know everyone’s personal situation. For US, we could either cruise alone in the usual Balcony or Jr Suite we usually cruise in, or go the cheap route and have some of our family cruise with us to make it a family affair (in this case they happen to be elderly and needing assistance). The difference between guarantee and reserved rooms was over $100pp, all cruises are not the same. So since both rooms were being paid for by ONE person, and since we REALLY wanted the additional family members with us, it was cheap guaranteed rate or no cruise at all, and I guess stupid me, I chose guaranteed with family versus not cruising entirely. And since we have had a rough past few months with loss of jobs to health issues, we ALL needed a vacation. <facepalm> What was I thinking? The fact that so many took the time out of their “busy” lives to post the obvious that add absolutely nothing constructive to the conversation is appreciated. It must make some people feel so warm and toasty inside to tell a perfect stranger, who already saw the err of their ways in the original post, an indirect “I told you so.” I am sure you are such a joy to be with in real life. </sarcasm>

For the people who were empathetic, and offered alternatives THANK YOU for the helpful replies. I hope someone pays it forward to you a hundred fold.

At any rate, enjoy your cruises EVERYONE… Whether you be in a 1A or a Grand Suite! Rest assured regardless of this outcome, my family and I will definitely enjoy ours… Challenges and all... =)

Let me get this straight. You are upset at 1) A Carnival PVP because they couldn't / wouldn't help you resolve an issue that you knew was a distinct possibility (as an experienced cruiser) when you made the original reservation and 2) Those of us that willingly pay the extra money to ensure we reserve the cabins that we want and have little pity for someone trying to "get over" on the system the one time that the system didn't work for them.

If you didn't want the criticism, then don't make the original post in the manner that you did. If you had simply asked for assistance in obtaining information on whom to call regarding changing guaranteed cabins you probably wouldn't have received the negative criticism. However, you came on the board complaining about Carnival not wanting to assist you with changing guaranteed cabins on a sold out ship as if it was their obligation to do so. Furthermore, you stated that if the situation wasn't resolved, by Carnival, to your satisfaction that your vacation would be ruined.

Your post, whether intentional or not, was a negative jab at Carnival in general and a PVP in specific. We have no idea whether the PVP thoroughly explained the risks of a guarantee or not at the time of the original booking. We also don't have the reason why the PVP wouldn't move you if there were open cabins when they were assigned to you, but I'm fairly confident they would have done so if they were permitted. We only have your side of the story. The lesson here for everyone is that if you want a specific cabin than don't book a guarantee.

Honestly, I hope that you and your family enjoy your vacation. Hopefully this "challenge" is the worst thing that will happen to you during your well earned vacation.

Let me get this straight. You are upset at 1) A Carnival PVP because they couldn't / wouldn't help you resolve an issue that you knew was a distinct possibility (as an experienced cruiser) when you made the original reservation and 2) Those of us that willingly pay the extra money to ensure we reserve the cabins that we want and have little pity for someone trying to "get over" on the system the one time that the system didn't work for them.

If you didn't want the criticism, then don't make the original post in the manner that you did. If you had simply asked for assistance in obtaining information on whom to call regarding changing guaranteed cabins you probably wouldn't have received the negative criticism. However, you came on the board complaining about Carnival not wanting to assist you with changing guaranteed cabins on a sold out ship as if it was their obligation to do so. Furthermore, you stated that if the situation wasn't resolved, by Carnival, to your satisfaction that your vacation would be ruined.

Your post, whether intentional or not, was a negative jab at Carnival in general and a PVP in specific. We have no idea whether the PVP thoroughly explained the risks of a guarantee or not at the time of the original booking. We also don't have the reason why the PVP wouldn't move you if there were open cabins when they were assigned to you, but I'm fairly confident they would have done so if they were permitted. We only have your side of the story. The lesson here for everyone is that if you want a specific cabin than don't book a guarantee.

Honestly, I hope that you and your family enjoy your vacation. Hopefully this "challenge" is the worst thing that will happen to you during your well earned vacation.

Although there was no need for everyone to repeat the same thing....unless I misunderstood the OP asked the pvp for info....then booked on her own. When the cabins assigned were not to her satisfaction she expected the pvp to "do something".

In any case...if you cannot afford what you need....don't purchase a cheaper substitute...because you probably won't be happy.

OP...I hope you enjoy your trip. Maybe you'll have to move around the occupants of each cabin to accommodate special needs.

Okay I got so caught up packing and preparing for our cruise that I totally forgot to post the end result...

Initially my new PVP said she emailed 4 departments and 3 of those couldnt help the situation. The last dept took the longest to get back to her, a few days, and when she called me she had that other dept on her other line whilst she called me. I was hoping to have the upper cabin moved DOWN to our same floor or at least closer. But they were able to move the lower cabin UP and we are now on the same floor about 6-7 cabins away from each other! They gave me a choice of 2 cabins on the upper floor and I chose the one closest to the other cabin and we are set! The new PVP went to bat for us and saved the day! I am SO grateful to her, and for the suggestions here to change PVPs. THANK YOU all for commenting!

To answer the last comment, yes you did misunderstand. I never asked my original PVP for any info and then booked on my own. I hardly heard from her so I always just logged into the website myself and researched on my own. For this cruise I was on carnival.com pretty much everyday for close to a month before booking. One night I couldnt get back to sleep and I called the 800 number with a question around 3am and the guy told me it was the last day for that price so he did a 24hr courtesy hold on the 2 cabins for me cause I had to clear the dates with the other people we planned on including. It was ME who called my PVP the next day and told her so she could get the credit, and thats when she scolded me for not booking with her. She then cancelled the previous guys bookings and re-booked my 2 cabins with the same price so she could get credit since the price was valid until midnight. And for the record we could "afford what we need" we just opted to include more people to make someone else happy in the process! Good grief...

Anyway its done... Once again, enjoy your cruises everyone. Now off to pack more stuff... ;)

Okay I got so caught up packing and preparing for our cruise that I totally forgot to post the end result...

Initially my new PVP said she emailed 4 departments and 3 of those couldnt help the situation. The last dept took the longest to get back to her, a few days, and when she called me she had that other dept on her other line whilst she called me. I was hoping to have the upper cabin moved DOWN to our same floor or at least closer. But they were able to move the lower cabin UP and we are now on the same floor about 6-7 cabins away from each other! They gave me a choice of 2 cabins on the upper floor and I chose the one closest to the other cabin and we are set! The new PVP went to bat for us and saved the day! I am SO grateful to her, and for the suggestions here to change PVPs. THANK YOU all for commenting!

To answer the last comment, yes you did misunderstand. I never asked my original PVP for any info and then booked on my own. I hardly heard from her so I always just logged into the website myself and researched on my own. For this cruise I was on carnival.com pretty much everyday for close to a month before booking. One night I couldnt get back to sleep and I called the 800 number with a question around 3am and the guy told me it was the last day for that price so he did a 24hr courtesy hold on the 2 cabins for me cause I had to clear the dates with the other people we planned on including. It was ME who called my PVP the next day and told her so she could get the credit, and thats when she scolded me for not booking with her. She then cancelled the previous guys bookings and re-booked my 2 cabins with the same price so she could get credit since the price was valid until midnight. And for the record we could "afford what we need" we just opted to include more people to make someone else happy in the process! Good grief...

Anyway its done... Once again, enjoy your cruises everyone. Now off to pack more stuff... ;)

Nice result! I am glad it worked out. Lesson learned though ;)

It sounds like a guarantee room was not the best choice for your situation, but I am sure that is obvious to you now. Hopefully you are able to get some resolution. Perhaps your PVP will be able to get you an upgrade if you are willing to pay for it. Even if you can upgrade whatever of the rooms is the lowest category to the higher category, maybe that will help. I don't know if they will do it for you or not, but you can ask. Unfortunately it is an example why a guarantee room is not always the best gamble to take. :( I am sorry you had to be the example. Good luck.

Edit: Now I see you have posted an update. That is good news that they were able to help you out. Have a great time.

Edited by cruzinlisa
add comment