A stupid question I guess

Badfinger

I have read threads here referring to the pursers desk. I have been on both the triumph and magic. I do not recall seeing any counter/office/dedicated area called the "pursers" desk. It does not show on the deck plans. Is it the same as guest services? Or did I just miss it?

I have read threads here referring to the pursers desk. I have been on both the triumph and magic. I do not recall seeing any counter/office/dedicated area called the "pursers" desk. It does not show on the deck plans. Is it the same as guest services? Or did I just miss it?

Yours is not a stupid question at all. It's the same as what "Guest Services" is called now.

Back when some of us first started cruising, that's what it was called so we'll often say "Pursers Desk".

By whatever name ... it's the same thing. :)

LuLu

Yours is not a stupid question at all. It's the same as what "Guest Services" is called now.

Back when some of us first started cruising, that's what it was called so we'll often say "Pursers Desk".

By whatever name ... it's the same thing. :)

LuLu

The real reason: A purser is historically the person in charge of the money on board.

The first recorded use of the word "purser" dates back to the early 15th century, although the word was used as a surname in the late 13th century. The term is derived from the word "purse," and signifies one who is in charge of the purse.

One of the most well-known pursers in modern popular culture is probably the television character Burl "Gopher" Smith played by actor Fred Grandy in television's 1970s/1980s series The Love Boat. Grandy's portrayal was beloved by many Love Boat viewers.

Originally Posted by jimmyle13

in the old days of cruising it was called that

The old days were not all that long ago.

I dont understand how this forum works. Is it just me ?

I do not see the post from jimmyle13. Can the rest of you see it ??

I dont understand how this forum works. Is it just me ?

I do not see the post from jimmyle13. Can the rest of you see it ??

No, that post is gone. Sometimes the moderators will remove posts, or even entire threads, if someone gets too snarky or off topic. I didn't see the deleted post either so I don't know why that particular one was removed.

He was running some sort of cookie sniffing software that made it appear as if he knew private info about you. The private info about you could only be seen by you. But to some that don't know what he was doing that might have been a little scary.

The real reason: A purser is historically the person in charge of the money on board.

The first recorded use of the word "purser" dates back to the early 15th century, although the word was used as a surname in the late 13th century. The term is derived from the word "purse," and signifies one who is in charge of the purse.

One of the most well-known pursers in modern popular culture is probably the television character Burl "Gopher" Smith played by actor Fred Grandy in television's 1970s/1980s series The Love Boat. Grandy's portrayal was beloved by many Love Boat viewers.

Quite correct! However, just remember that "Gopher" was only an assistant purser.

The chief purser is often now known as the Hotel Manager / Director.

Also, I've always had a problem with the use of the word "guest" on ships or hotels. The definition of guest is: "A person who is invited to visit the home of or take part in a function organized by another". Granted, a cruise could be considered a function, and the offering of a cruise could be considered an invitation, but there is no mention of payment for such!

If you are on a ship, you are a passenger, just like on the airlines.

No, that post is gone. Sometimes the moderators will remove posts, or even entire threads, if someone gets too snarky or off topic. I didn't see the deleted post either so I don't know why that particular one was removed.

He was running some sort of cookie sniffing software that made it appear as if he knew private info about you. The private info about you could only be seen by you. But to some that don't know what he was doing that might have been a little scary.

Oh ! I understand now. Thanks for the answers guys !!