What's your opinion?

Shadextrem

I'm looking to take my mom on her first cruise next year. I'm leaning toward the Dream out of NOLA. I'm just dying to get my hands on a spa pass and hang in the T-pool all week. Here's my issue: I know we are going to book a balcony because I'm entirely spoiled by them. The only thing is I'm not sure which balcony to book. It's between a cove balcony(purchase the spa pass separately) or a spa balcony. I've only ever had a regular balcony and one time the "bowling alley" balcony. My mom can't have too much sun do to her health issues. I know there are spa balconies that have a balcony above them so that would help with the sun issues, but are the cove balconies really better for avoiding the sun? Just wondering if anyone has some opinions for me. Thanks in advance. :)

The Cove balconies are a lot darker by default but I don't think that should deter you from a spa balcony. Chances are the sun may not even be on that side of the ship the whole time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The Spa balcony will make the amenities only steps away... Much easier to access. But the Cove Balconies are closer to the water, you may feel some spray, and feel like you're sailing. You should have shade part of the day on the Spa balconies, the ship doesn't normally turn around mid day, unless she ports later in the day (and then it's only maybe). So I'd feel safe, even if Mom can't handle too much sun.

I take Nana (my mom) on many cruises!!! It's such a great way to share time and make memories!!! Some of her "antics" because of her wheelchair and Alzheimer's, makes the trip absolutely silly and memorable!!! Our first cruise together -- we were "Two Merry Widows" out to see the world and have some FUN!!!

GOOD FOR YOU to include your mom!!!! :)

I'm looking to take my mom on her first cruise next year. I'm leaning toward the Dream out of NOLA. I'm just dying to get my hands on a spa pass and hang in the T-pool all week. Here's my issue: I know we are going to book a balcony because I'm entirely spoiled by them. The only thing is I'm not sure which balcony to book. It's between a cove balcony(purchase the spa pass separately) or a spa balcony. I've only ever had a regular balcony and one time the "bowling alley" balcony. My mom can't have too much sun do to her health issues. I know there are spa balconies that have a balcony above them so that would help with the sun issues, but are the cove balconies really better for avoiding the sun? Just wondering if anyone has some opinions for me. Thanks in advance. :)

Awesome you and your mom are taking a cruise.

From the deck plan of Dream there are no cabins above Spa deck. When we were on Freedom and had Spa deck there was only about a foot and a half over hang above the balcony so very little protection from sun or the occasional shower. On Freedom there was a an outside public deck above us so that lacked balcony privacy. I didn't like that balcony as well as others. Never have done the cove.

There are forward balconies on the Panorama deck, one deck below the Spa deck that would give you the option of being near the spa location. Those balconies should to have the full over hang of the Spa deck just above.

If you opt for something different, my personal preference is balcony near the aft elevators. That makes it very handy to the buffet and for a morning coffee run.

We had an aft facing balcony one time which was nice, but it was noisy due to the wash of the ship's propellers. I wonder if the coves would present a similar experience being so close to the water. Would like to try the cove sometime and see how it is. Have an enjoyable mom and daughter cruise. Happy travels.

From the deck plan of Dream there are no cabins above Spa deck. When we were on Freedom and had Spa deck there was only about a foot and a half over hang above the balcony so very little protection from sun or the occasional shower. On Freedom there was a an outside public deck above us so that lacked balcony privacy. I didn't like that balcony as well as others. Never have done the cove.

There are forward balconies on the Panorama deck, one deck below the Spa deck that would give you the option of being near the spa location. Those balconies should to have the full over hang of the Spa deck just above.

The cabins on the forward Panorama deck (11) are also Spa cabins so you would get the shade and the Spa pass. The cabins on the Spa deck (12) are open to a lot of sun. Try to get the cabins on the Starboard side because the Port cabins are under the Gym and may be noisier. The Serenity area with 2 outdoor hot tubs will be just 2 decks above you.

If you choose the Cove Balconies, try to avoid being under the Galley. It can get noisy in some places.

We stayed in a spa balcony cabin on deck 11, starboard side and loved it. It was only a few steps to walk down the hall to the spa area. Although I am not the type to walk around the ship in a bathrobe, I did do it on Carnival Dream because when we got out of the the thalasso pool, it was so nice to just put that on and walk down the hall to our cabin. Almost everyone that was using the spa area walked in/out with their bathrobes on. I don't believe I would ever go from a cove balcony to the spa in a bathrobe.

We didn't get any more sun on our balcony than other regular balconies. I wouldn't like the cove balcony as, to me, it is too closed in. I like the openness of a regular balcony and I don't think I would want to be that close to the water as it seems as though the ship is going very fast and that would make me uncomfortable. I know when we have been on a lower deck, i.e. deck 5, looking over the water seems as though we are traveling faster than when we are on deck 11. I know it sounds crazy and I probably am, lol.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm thinking we are going to go with the spa balcony on the panorama deck. It seems to have enough sun protection and I do think she would like to not notice the speed of the water going by. I also can't see myself walking from the cove balconies several floors below in a robe and I'd like to utilize the robes this cruise. Now to get it all planned...:D