PG Repeaters Cruises

Emdee

For all of you who are not able to make it for our 2014 September 10th Reunion cruise I am hoping to have another one in Jan/Feb 2017. It is a great time for us in the East who are trying to escape the harsh winter months.

For itinerary: Maybe to the Cook Islands so we have the mix of sea days and islands. It is some time since I have last pied the PG Chefs and the country fair is a lot of fun for those of you who havent had the experience. It will also be a great get together for those of us who are fortunate to be on the Repeaters this year and decide to join us in 2017.

I would love to go again to Aitutaki and I know some of you have not been able to make it inspite of several attempts. Also there may be some other islands in the area which can be visited???

Finally, its just under a year for the Croatia Tere Moana Repeaters cruise so hope some of you will join us on that one as well.

All these good things happening in the years ahead .....

The concept of a cruise in January/Feb. is appealing but I would NOT suggest anything outside of the French Polynesia region. As Twin will verify, crusing the South Pacific in January has the real potential for lousy weather. We were on the ill fated Australia-Tahiti cruise and we skipped virtually every port, including those in the Cooks.

I agree you had a really bad voyage but from what I recall the problems were more in the area around Vanuatu/Fiji etc.

Twin did tell me that you missed Aitutaki. Was it just bad luck? We should do some research on this.

Maybe we should rethink? If we stay in the FP region it will be the 10 day Tuamotu voyage as the 7 day is a bit short. We shall have to ask the Captain to put on his thinking cap and give us an exciting itinerary. All ideas welcomed!

Edited by Emdee

I like the idea of another repeaters cruise. For that time of year I too would say stay in FP waters. 10 - 11 night cruise, maybe another island in the atolls that is off the beaten trek that many have not seen. Or maybe an overnight on Rangiora and the ship can be moved toward the Blue Lagoon or the pink sand beaches where there is also another pass for divers/snorkelers.

I like the idea of another repeaters cruise. For that time of year I too would say stay in FP waters. 10 - 11 night cruise, maybe another island in the atolls that is off the beaten trek that many have not seen. Or maybe an overnight on Rangiora and the ship can be moved toward the Blue Lagoon or the pink sand beaches where there is also another pass for divers/snorkelers.

Love the idea of being nearer the pink sand beach in Rangiroa. I have only once seen a Napoleon Wrasse and would love to see more of them. I am told they abound in that area. Of course the area may not been deep enough for the ship but worth looking at.

Even 1.5 days would be fine with half a day near the pass for those who want to dive the pass and a full day in the Pink sand area.

Love the idea of being nearer the pink sand beach in Rangiroa. I have only once seen a Napoleon Wrasse and would love to see more of them. I am told they abound in that area. Of course the area may not been deep enough for the ship but worth looking at.

Even 1.5 days would be fine with half a day near the pass for those who want to dive the pass and a full day in the Pink sand area.

Just pointing out that staying within a lagoon over night is safe and the ship can anchor. This is important during that time of year that your thinking. On Aitutaki the ship can not do either thus why it's not always possible to stop there.

Emdee, email me when you have a chance

Edited by Tikiintahiti

I am afraid that we will not be able to sail in January/February for a few more years. :(

Both my DW and I are college professors and if we are not in front of the classroom the students tend to leave.

We are already booked on the TM Reunion Cruise for next August.

I am afraid that we will not be able to sail in January/February for a few more years. :(

Both my DW and I are college professors and if we are not in front of the classroom the students tend to leave.

I felt really bad about this Motu but unfortunately PG only gave me the Jan/Feb slot. I had suggested July as I know its your favourite month for the PG. Anyway we will see you on the TM next year.

How about sometime in the first 3 weeks of December?

When does the college let out for winter break?

From what many have posted being able to tender in to Aitutaki and Rarotonga is tough and it looks like a fairly significant (guesstimate of 25%-50%) of the time they can't do it. I was fortunate a few years ago as we did get in to both ports.

The Australia to Tahiti cruise skipped the Cooks, we were told, due to scheduling issues as well as high seas. Once we did get close to French Polynesia the skies were sunny and we had great weather.

A repeaters cruise that visits some smaller islands would be very appealing. While I am probably going to book a June 2015 10 night cruise this is the same trip we have made previously and new sights are always welcome.

BTW, in addition to my full time job I am also an adjunct professor at a community college. I try not to miss those classes which for me means my schedule is clear from about 12/17 each year until the very last week in January.

Edited by FlightMedic555

I would love Cook Islands but instead of Rarotonga friend somewhere else. Aitutaki for years was iffy at best but lately it's been more consistent getting there. As Mr. Medic said. Better to stay within FP this time of year. I would love to see us to go Manihi and Tikehau. Off the beaten path, not the norm and since my wife won't fly Air Tahiti planes, the only way I can see these gorgeous islands!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would love Cook Islands but instead of Rarotonga friend somewhere else. Aitutaki for years was iffy at best but lately it's been more consistent getting there. As Mr. Medic said. Better to stay within FP this time of year. I would love to see us to go Manihi and Tikehau. Off the beaten path, not the norm and since my wife won't fly Air Tahiti planes, the only way I can see these gorgeous islands!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think that Manihi and Tikehau were not possible when we looked at them last time.

Lets ask Capt Rajko what he thinks about them when we see him in September.

I think that Manihi and Tikehau were not possible when we looked at them last time.

Lets ask Capt Rajko what he thinks about them when we see him in September.

Manihi does not have a reef entry

Tikehau has one but it looks a bit tight and who knows the depth, that is why I thought Rangi for an over night and a ship relocation within the lagoon.

Funny, we used to do Tahiti in May, right after the university term was over. And September was not an option. December, during the holidays was okay too. But now, D's retired, but tends to teach in May, but September is a great option, in fact it gets him away from his colleagues so he doesn't angst about it!

Jan/Feb are okay for us, but since we're already in Florida then, it's no biggy. Not sure if we'll make it back to Tahiti after this September (if we even make it this time, more on that later, if we don't have to cancel.)

Manihi would be a nostalgic trip back in time for us, since we stayed at the Pearl on our first trip 14 years ago, but it's a ruin now, so it would be bittersweet. Best snorkelling anywhere, bar none!

Funny, we used to do Tahiti in May, right after the university term was over. And September was not an option. December, during the holidays was okay too.

Exactly the boat we are in for at least the next few years. Unless we can both talk our colleges into a sabbatical, we can go in June and July and the last week in December.

Edited by MotuIslander

We have only cruised once on PG , Jan. 2013 and are not able to attend the Sept. 2014 Repeaters Cruise. Don't have the expertise many of you have regarding the small islands . We would definitely be very interested in dates Jan.-March 2017 . Looking forward to more details as decisions are made.