Upset bar servers because of drink package!!

My few cents..

Pre-tipping before service or what's called greasing the wheel is bribery in a lot of cultures, including mine. Whilst some Asian and Euro countries have the tendency of rounding up the service related bill to the closest full number (i.e. 9,3€ becomes 10€ flat), the expected tipping of additional 10-15% is pretty much non-existent outside the Americas and is actually seen in some places as insulting to everyone involved, for example the tip giver might be someone who "has to show off" or "thinks they're a better man than the other". In most Asian cultures the confusion that happens when someone tries to tip is just awful to watch - this is the case especially outside the beaten track.. of course in the very touristy places this does not apply.

What's missing from this conversation is that a relatively high percentage of the passengers on a given RCCL cruise are likely not from the US but instead from the non-tipping countries. It's my understanding that even on the Caribbean cruises folks from the (generally very anti-tipping) UK are a major one. Even the employees are likely from the non-tipping places of the world. So, if someone chooses not to tip at all - especially on a cruise that does not originate from the US - they're well within their cultural & behavioral reasons, despite the presence of heavy US tippers on-board. Yes, this may seem rude and in a sense it is.

Yes, almost everyone understands the minimum wage arguments with tipping. Yes, some also (quite accurately in my opinion) point out that it's the employer who should pay a reasonable wage and that the risk of running the business shouldn't be outsourced to the employees in case of rainy days. Some elect not to tip because they can save the money that way. Some just don't care.

I personally let the auto-gratuities roll as-is (if such are available) but otherwise have hard time remembering that I have to give tips whenever I'm in a place that requires them. If a service charge is included in the price of the drink packages I'd be blunt and assume no extra is needed, unless some very extra-ordinary circumstances came alight. Why should I care how it's distributed amongst the crew? I trust RCCL to do it properly.

I think this sums it up pretty well.

We experienced the same thing on both Allure in January and again on Visions in April. We purchase the soft drink package (non alcoholic). We were able to avoid some of this treatment by using the drink machines on board Allure but they are only available in two places. It was almost worth making a special trip to avoid being treated like a cheap second class cruiser. We included this on our customer survey.

We experienced the same thing on both Allure in January and again on Visions in April. We purchase the soft drink package (non alcoholic). We were able to avoid some of this treatment by using the drink machines on board Allure but they are only available in two places. It was almost worth making a special trip to avoid being treated like a cheap second class cruiser. We included this on our customer survey.

If I'm not happy I tell someone. It's a bit stressful to think you have to avoid staff :confused:

Can't see my husband putting up with it for long. :eek: its not how staff should be behaving.

Edited by Adayatatime

Bar-persons on RCI and other RCCL ships get the 15% gratuity equally shared with other bar folks. They get to keep all additional tips. Sometimes cash tips are shared at a particular bar.

Their contacts give them about $25 every two weeks, room and board, and minimal insurance. Their travel to the ship is paid by the company and at the end of their 8 month contract they pay their way home. Usually they get one shore-leave a week if their schedule permits. That is usually 3-4 hour time off the ship.

The bar folks are without a doubt the best paid "hourly" (using an American term here) employees on the ship. All the other hourly folks get the same plan less the 15% bar gratuity.

Hope this helps clarify!

Are you stating here that RCI bar servers get a fortnightly wage of $25 and everything else is made up from Tips and gratuities?

Other employees get $25 per fortnight without any tips?

We took the Premium drinks package on the Independence a couple of months back.

The bar staff were always friendly and helpful and the service was first class. No issues whatsover.

I had one issue with one bartender all the others were great, we did tip once in a while a extra few dollars, we were on Navigator