Part of Family living outside the US

ghstudio

Our daughter and family have moved to the UK for a two year work assignment. We are going on a number of cruises so I started to look closely at travel insurance. I found that most policies cover trip interruption if a family member (defined in the policy) has a serious medical problem or death (a very serious problem). However, I also found that many policies state that their benefits would only be paid if the family members reside in the United States. Should something happen to our family in the UK, we would not be covered if we purchased the wrong policy.

Just something else to check for when buying a policy...and my advice to anyone is that you should always read the policy before buying.

I actually have found one specific policy where one very large internet insurance sales site says must live in the US and another very large internat web site does not show that restriction. I have contacted both, and both claim that they are correct (impossible). I have one of them trying to get an official answer from the actual insurance company.

Edited by ghstudio

Well, given that every US insurance website I've seen asks you to select your state of residence before they'll even issue a final price quote, I kind of think the residence requirements are pretty ironclad.

On the plus side, trip insurance in the UK is much cheaper, as it's nearly mandatory.

Edited by sirwired

We do live in the US and we are the ones travelling.

The question is on the coverage if my daughter's family, now living in the UK should have a tragedy causing us to have to leave our cruise. Would that be covered. Many policies are very specific that "family members" must reside in the US...and some don't have that limitation.

We finally decided on a Travel Guard policy that does not limit where your non travelling family members live.

My sister does not currently reside in the US, but she does have an official permanent residence at my mother's home that she uses for her drivers license and voting registration. Because her residence outside the US is considered a temporary duty assignment, we were able to get her insurance through the USAA travel insurance provider of TravelInsured. It might be in part because they are used to the situation, dealing with deployed military, but when I told the rep she was currently in Europe, the rep asked me for her state of legal residence.

Hope this helps!