Pinnacle Class Ship?

sail7seas

Nope; we are old Walt! ;) Our first cruise on HAL was on Nieuw Amsterdam III in NOV 1993 out of Tampa. NADM's captain on that cruise, Simon Douwes, has been HAL's Director of Deployment & Itinerary Planning since 2001

Ours was Noordam III FLL ten days round trip, 1992. Long time ago.

Captain Jack van Coevorden . :)

Thanks Copper, now I even like it less. I think you shouldn't name your ships something that nobody can pronounces right (except for you ) but then Hal didn't ask me, as I said.

It will be nice when we finally know what her name is, beside's Pinnacle class.

Takes a little practice ;); not too many folks pronounce some of the ship's names the way a Dutch person would pronounce them, which is natural because Dutch is not an easy language to speak and pronounce

The putting together and laying of any keel comes after the cutting of the 1st steel plate which, in this case, occurred in FEB 2014. How do you 'splain "that keel laying around Fincantieri for years" yet the first steel plate being cut five months ago? :cool:

I had thought the same thing but god only knows how it would have been interpreted if I had said it out loud, so glad you did.

I wouldn't count on HAL using the correct pronunciation. Just look how they pronounce Veendam with a long "e", let alone getting the "V" correct (should sound like an "F"). It made me cringe every time I heard "Veendam" in announcements by both the cruise director and the captain on our last cruise.

igraf

You must have had VEDM's English captain, as opposed to her Dutch one

Wow.... What a great photo.

Captain Jack, Joan Lunden (Godmother), A. Kirk Lanterman and Mr. Arison.

Thanks for sharing it.

Edited by sail7seas

Wow.... What a great photo.

Captain Jack, Joan Lunden (Godmother), A. Kirk Lanterman and isn't that Ted Arison?

Thanks for sharing it.

That's Mickey, his son

Edited by Copper10-8

1983.... Nw AMSTERDAM III... maiden cruise to Bermuda. I was Harbour Master at the time. Came aboard for welcome cocktail party. Best part of the job! ;-)

1984 A year later I was not HM at that time and I asked the port agent if I could get an invite to the party for NOORDAM maiden visit. To 'bribe' I gave the agent a small painting to present to Captain Huilderrink. I got the invite and the small painting was presented. The Cruise Director introduced me to Mr van der Vorm, the owner of HAL. He asked me if I could three paintings for his office? Sure. I'd never sold a painting and this was just a hobby. And so it went.

By 1991 I was a bit more 'established' and was a full time painter so.... five paintings were done for the newbuild STATENDAM 1992.

Since then... almost 100 large paintings for the HAL ships.

The rest is 'history' . That is why one should attend ALL cocktail parties!!!!!:)

Stephen

Edited by Topsham

Yes, the captain on that cruise was British.

igraf

First master VEENDAM was Capt Jonathan Mercer and John Scott was Chief Officer... now master .... WESTERDAM I think? First sailed with him more like 25 years ago in QE2 as First Officer.

1983.... Nw AMSTERDAM III... maiden cruise to Bermuda. I was Harbour Master at the time. Came aboard for welcome cocktail party. Best part of the job! ;-)

1984 A year later I was not HM at that time and I asked the port agent if I could get an invite to the party for NOORDAM maiden visit. To 'bribe' I gave the agent a small painting to present to Captain Huilderrink. I got the invite and the small painting was presented. The Cruise Director introduced me to Mr van der Vorm, the owner of HAL. He asked me if I could three paintings for his office? Sure. I'd never sold a painting and this was just a hobby. And so it went.

By 1991 I was a bit more 'established' and was a full time painter so.... five paintings were done for the newbuild STATENDAM 1992.

The rest is 'history' . That is why one should attend ALL cocktail parties!!!!!:)

Stephen

What a Wonderful story, Stephen.

Thanks so much for sharing with us.

Imagine had you not wished to attend the cocktail party?! :D Love it.

Great to see you posting. You've been missed.

Takes a little practice ;); not too many folks pronounce some of the ship's names the way a Dutch person would pronounce them, which is natural because Dutch is not an easy language to speak and pronounce

We won't even talk about vak. Friend looked shocked when he heard my aunt was discussing her seats at a stadium :D

Edited by frankc98376

Nope; we are old Walt! ;) Our first cruise on HAL was on Nieuw Amsterdam III in NOV 1993 out of Tampa. NADM's captain on that cruise, Simon Douwes, has been HAL's Director of Deployment & Itinerary Planning since 2001

We were on Neiuw Amsterdam III in her first month. Don't remember the captain but do remember CD was David DeHavilland.

Also remember my drink shaking off of the table in the Crows Nest and holding onto my plate in the Lido so it wouldn't shake off of the table. We called her the Magic Fingers ship (after the units that used to be in hotel rooms).

We sailed on Noordam III about two months after she started service and remember Captain VanNoord. As I recall he joked that the ship was named after him.

Edited by frankc98376

Stephen

Thanks for the explanation Stephen. Recall meeting you in the bar on Rotterdam V while docked in Vancouver waiting for sailaway. We were sitting with a visiting friend of mine and Paul Ray of the duty free shops. My late husband, Fred and I enjoyed a wonderful 19 day cruise on the Statendam. I put his ashes to sea off the Statendam in May 1998 off Bella Bella Canada. That is why I'm sailing on her this September to bid her a fond farewell. Went by Bella Bella this past May on the Oosterdam so I was able to go out on deck and say hello to Fred and remind him he is not forgotten either. This Sept. will be bitter sweet for me. I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but I was the first HAL guest to put human ashes to sea.

I like tradition for a 134-year old company and am still hoping for a traditional name like Spaarndam last used from 1922 through 1939;)

John,

I agree.

SCHIEDAM

SPAARNDAM

SLOTERDAM

STATENDAM

SLOTERDAM ... a new one, but there was a SLOTERDYK

If we forget the history of HAL we end up with all the horrible names being on most cruise ships today. If you love this ship you will soon to learn her name!

Edited by Topsham

The putting together and laying of any keel comes after the cutting of the 1st steel plate which, in this case, occurred in FEB 2014. How do you 'splain "that keel laying around Fincantieri for years" yet the first steel plate being cut five months ago? :cool:

Ah.... this happens sometimes. All the owner does order a 'hull' and put a few pieces of steel together. It gets an official number and it a 'ship'. Year go past.... they can take the pieces together and use them as a part of the new hull. Then some new regulation comes into forces and the new regulation get 'grandfather clause'.. and same a lot changes that don't matter.

I stood by a ship in the yard in Glasgow. Nearby there was a small section of double bottom .... over a year later that little section was suddenly 'a new build'.

Thanks for the explanation Stephen. Recall meeting you in the bar on Rotterdam V while docked in Vancouver waiting for sailaway. We were sitting with a visiting friend of mine and Paul Ray of the duty free shops. My late husband, Fred and I enjoyed a wonderful 19 day cruise on the Statendam. I put his ashes to sea off the Statendam in May 1998 off Bella Bella Canada. That is why I'm sailing on her this September to bid her a fond farewell. Went by Bella Bella this past May on the Oosterdam so I was able to go out on deck and say hello to Fred and remind him he is not forgotten either. This Sept. will be bitter sweet for me. I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but I was the first HAL guest to put human ashes to sea.

Thanks for remembering... and also good friend Paul Ray. Not like today today!

We will remember your loss and you cruise in September.

Hope we will meet on the new ship!

Best thoughts,

Stephen

Boy do we feel old! Our first cruise was on the old Nieuw Amsterdam (Alaska) followed by the old Rotterdam and the old Noordam.

Boy was it exciting sailing on the maiden voyage of the Statendam, followed by the maiden voyages of Maasdam, Veendam and Ryndam. We were booked for the maiden voyage of the new Rotterdam but HAL canceled it because Fincantiere was a month behind on its completion. We were able to sail on her a year later (1998) on a Baltic cruise from Rotterdam!

To see the Statendam and Ryndam moving on means either we're getting old (no way ;)) or HAL moves its ships only after just a few sailings. Yea, that's the ticket.

What would be a real shock would be if the Rotterdam gets replaced by a new ship and we sail on the "third generation" of Rotterdam.

Yes Walt -- You are getting old. Join the crowd.

We started out on the old Noordam - then to the old Rotterdam - the old Westerdam and the old Nieuw Amsterdam. --- and yes I'm getting old too.

Not to drift too far from the subject at hand. My vote is for Spaarndam, since we have sailed on every other HAL name - a new one would be refreshing. But we all know that its going to be Statendam.

A Senior HAL officer told me in February 2013, that the keel was lying there for quite some time while they were deciding what they were going to do with it.

I consider him to be a reliable source, so I take the man at his word.

A Senior HAL officer told me in February 2013, that the keel was lying there for quite some time while they were deciding what they were going to do with it.

I consider him to be a reliable source, so I take the man at his word.

Just remember you're responding to a senior HAL officer ...

We were on Neiuw Amsterdam III in her first month. Don't remember the captain but do remember CD was David DeHavilland.

Also remember my drink shaking off of the table in the Crows Nest and holding onto my plate in the Lido so it wouldn't shake off of the table. We called her the Magic Fingers ship (after the units that used to be in hotel rooms).

We sailed on Noordam III about two months after she started service and remember Captain VanNoord. As I recall he joked that the ship was named after him.

Captain Frederik “Freek” van Driel took NADM III on 10 JUL 1983 from Le Havre, France across the pond to New York City. She arrived in New York Harbor, complete with two stowaways from the African country of Ghana, on 18 July where she received the traditional fireboat welcome from the FDNY. As part of her inaugural visit and maiden voyage festivities, Nieuw Amsterdam sailed two cruises to ‘nowhere’ on 19 and 20 July 1983 from New York for VIPs, travel professionals and media representatives.

On 21 July 1983 she departed New York with her first revenue passengers on her maiden voyage, a roundtrip bound for Hamilton, Bermuda, Philipsburg, Sint Maarten and Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, USVI. For the 1983 winter season, Nieuw Amsterdam repositioned via the Panama Canal to San Francisco, CA on the U.S. west coast, from where she operated 14-day cruises to the Mexican Riviera, as far south as Acapulco in the state of Guerrero.