Pinnacle Class Ship?

sail7seas

There are certain signatures that make HAL ships what they are and the wrap around Promenade Deck is almost mandatory IMO

I surely hope they don't continue to include that. What is an HAL ship without it? :eek:

Retail businesses have a set dollar figure as the value of each square foot of space. Hence stores like Walmart have very small stockroom areas- Costco Home Depot have no "stockrooms"- Storage is above the displayed merchandise.

Sadly, staterooms, bars, shops, fee restaurants, etc bring in more revenue than open Promenade space. With prices of cruises dropping so much lines are being forced into looking at new ways to generate revenue on board.

I too love the full wrap around Promenade but would not be surprised at some point to see a change out of financial necessity.

Do you know something about the new design the rest of us are guessing about? :)

No, just "speculating" like the rest of us :). I traveled a LOT for work for a long time and watched the airlines struggle to find their identity as fares dropped and fuel prices increased. The extra fees (or "enhancements" as they called them) have turned into a huge cash cow for them.

I'm waiting for the first truly no frills cruise line that charges for checked bags, main showrooms shows, and dinner in the MDR offering only a very minimal buffet for included free dining. Basically a glorified ferry.

Since my first cruises in the late 70's and early 80's I've seen so much change. And no, I'm not that old- I started cruising in my 20's :D

Edited by frankc98376

I fully agree the only food on ships in the near future that will be included in the fare will be the buffet. I think sooner rather than later, food will be a la carte. You want a burger, buy it. You want a steak, go to Pinnacle and pay. Lido will be adequate at best and will provide basics so no one will starve but if we want anything finer, we will pay more.

Depending upon how the pricing the cabins balances, I'm not sure I am totally opposed to the concept. It will be further evolution of cruising but we've already seen so many changes, it will just be another though it will fundamentally change one of the things that attracted cruisers to begin with. The thing I think may make it acceptable to many more today than would have 15 years ago is many people are more conscious of what and how much they eat now, far more go to gyms and exercise regularly, and the concept of 'all you can eat' doesn't appeal to many of us anymore. For a huge part of the population, that was then but it isn't 'now'.

Edited by sail7seas

I'm waiting for the first truly no frills cruise line that charges for checked bags, main showrooms shows, and dinner in the MDR offering only a very minimal buffet for included free dining. Basically a glorified ferry.
There was such an a la carte line, named easyCruise, that operated in Europe from 2005 to 2010, catering mostly to young back-packer types. It started well the first season but faded quickly because there was very little on-board spending.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EasyCruise

Edited by jtl513

There was such an a la carte line, named easyCruise, that operated in Europe from 2005 to 2010, catering mostly to young back-packer types. It started well the first season but faded quickly because there was very little on-board spending.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EasyCruise

I watched the Travel Chanel series on this cruise line a few times. Not exactly my idea of a cruise line.