Fantasy for sale

originalmet8

Yes, I remember reading many months ago that the ship was for sale. Carnival's business plan calls for them to get rid of their older, smaller less fuel efficient ships (if you read their forecast outlook that they release for shareholders). They anticipate replacing them with newer, larger more fuel efficient ships.

As a big fan, I would love to see their business plan, where is that?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You are a very funny person, where in the world do you get these made up fantasies from. Just by chance, can you provide any factual basis for current Carnival issues in filling ships? Seems to me it is the same rate as other cruise lines, and to blow a hole in another bubble at the same rate and price as other cruiselines in the Caribbean. It is amazing to me that some people make claims that rci cruises are at the same price as Carnival and then on other posts there are other claims that Carnival can't fill "their old decrepit ships with out giving the rooms away".

Makes me laugh out loud.

I'm laughing too. Please do show some evidence otherwise.

I'm laughing too. Please do show some evidence otherwise.

Go out and look at posts others have made on pricing comparisons. They are all very similar. Carnival has publicly stated (in quarterly earnings calls) that they are going to hold pricing levels and not do exactly what you suggest they do now. I always find it funny and interesting at the lengths you go to make negative Carnival comments. Evidence in point that you say their fleet ages more rapid than other cruise lines. How does that happen? Does the cruise line fairy pass the magic aging wand only over Carnivals older ships? Isn't the Radiance class the same age overall as the Fantasy class?

Go out and look at posts others have made on pricing comparisons. They are all very similar. Carnival has publicly stated (in quarterly earnings calls) that they are going to hold pricing levels and not do exactly what you suggest they do now. I always find it funny and interesting at the lengths you go to make negative Carnival comments. Evidence in point that you say their fleet ages more rapid than other cruise lines. How does that happen? Does the cruise line fairy pass the magic aging wand only over Carnivals older ships? Isn't the Radiance class the same age overall as the Fantasy class?

Do you understand median age? As a cruise line adds new builds, the median age of the fleet goes down. As they retire old stock, the median age goes down. If they add nothing new and don't retire older stock, the median age goes up. Carnival's median age is going up while their competition is going down.

Hold on, I'll make a spreadsheet for you.

No, I won't. I think you probably get it. It just doesn't fit with your view of all things revolving around Carnival. There's a great big world out there, you know. And Carnival is just one bit player. :)

Do you understand median age? As a cruise line adds new builds, the median age of the fleet goes down. As they retire old stock, the median age goes down. If they add nothing new and don't retire older stock, the median age goes up. Carnival's median age is going up while their competition is going down.

Hold on, I'll make a spreadsheet for you.

No, I won't. I think you probably get it. It just doesn't fit with your view of all things revolving around Carnival. There's a great big world out there, you know. And Carnival is just one bit player. :)

Relative age is a only a point in time comparison. If you asked the same question in 2008 as an example, they would have the youngest fleet. What does that mean? Nothing to the cruising public. My view of Carnival is base upon my experiences in sailing them (past and present as well as in the future, currently have 3 planned, adding two more in the next month). I am a fan of the cruise line, as evidenced by my sailing history, my satisfaction with the product, and to a lessor extent the people I know who are employees.

I can't argue that they are a player (not sure what a one bit player is), in fact the largest in the industry. When I say that I mean Carnival cruise line, they are by FAR, the largest cruise corporation in the industry. If you want to come back in two years and say that Royal is then larger then Carnival, then will concede that point. Does Royal and NCL "currently have a newer fleet" I guess they do, not sure. Again relative to a point in time, not sure what that means to someone cruising. I have sailed Oasis and have no desire to sail her again soon and would not sail quantum at a premium (maybe not even the same price. If that is what newer brings I will pass.

Have you ever paid attention to how the diamond industry markets diamonds?

When they have more big stones in stock they market solitaires.

When they have small stones to sell they push designs that feature multiple smaller stones.

They always have more stock than they want anyone to know about.

It seems obvious that is the way to sell passage on the smaller ships is to make the smaller ships more upscale and sell the size as an asset.

People on here used to constantly criticize my old favorite Holiday.

And now Holiday is the super elegant Grand Holiday.

Personally, I am not keen on the monster ships.

I saw that Royal Caribbean behemoth and have no desire to sail her.

As for age, I was reading yesterday about the sinking of the Andrea Dorea in 1956.

The other ship that was involved in that accident was the SS Stockholm.

The Stockholm is still in service as a cruise ship.

There are obviously niches for ships other than goliath megaships.

Bigger ain't always better.

As for Fantasy, for sale does not mean on sale.

Lots of stuff is for sale if you have the money.

How many new ships does carnival have coming online?

How many new ships does royal Caribbean or NCL have coming online?

How old is the avg fleet of carnival versus RCCL ??

Read post 30

The fantasy class ships pale in comparison to options out there now. People levitate to newer ships!

Not sure what options have to do with the discussion but the radiance class pales in comparison (if that is what floats your boat...pun intended) also. So does NCL older ships, and celebrity and Hal and princess and etc etc, newer ships have more options, more balconies etc. Does that invalidate the older ships, not at all. The majority of posters here love the Spirit class which is two classes old. They love the Breeze as well. I enjoy sailing fantasy class of ships, love the fantail and the fact there is 1800 people on their vs 6500 on Oasis.

The Carnival fleet is not old and archaic and comparing it to a smaller company (Viking) and a nonexistent company (Virgin) is a bit nonsensical. If an average cruise ship lifespan is between 15-25 years then of course there will be some older cruise ships in any given fleet. Honestly, I think Carnival should keep the Fantasy class for as long as possible because they serve as important ships to introduce people to cruising. Are they the best of the best? By no means. But they serve their purpose well enough to justify them staying in the fleet.

I believe they serve a purpose too. I love the small ships. Would I want 7 nights on one? No. But they are great getaways at a good price, and service is usually good.

I believe they serve a purpose too. I love the small ships. Would I want 7 nights on one? No. But they are great getaways at a good price, and service is usually good.

I love the smaller ships as well. For a 5 night get away, they are GREAT! I really believe the staff and crew work harder to keep their guests happy. I've never had bad food or bad service on one of the smaller ships.:D

I don't think there's anything really wrong with the Fantasy class ships per se. They are now outdated by today's standards, but are still perfectly viable ships. The Fantasy class ships were designed in the late 1980's in the days before rock-climbing walls, Flowriders, 25 alternative dining areas, boxing rings, ice-skating rinks, etc. These ships were designed at the end of an era where cruising was much simpler. The things I mentioned above didn't exist on ships at that time, and many of them (save the boxing ring) have mostly become "necessities." When these ships were designed, they were rather large ships for their day. I now hear anything less than 100,000 GRT called a tugboat, a barge, scow, dinghy, or whatever term one wants to use for a small ship. Our next cruise is on Freedom of the Seas, and I'm actually a bit nervous, as I've never been on a ship LARGER than 90,000 tons.

As for a previous comment about removing the whale tail funnel, it's been done. The Tropicale lost her whale tail to a basic round Costa funnel before becoming the Costa Tropicale. Changing a funnel is not that big of a deal. A few of the original RCCL ships had to have the Viking Crown Lounges removed when the ship was purchased. Song of America was able to keep hers, as it was an integral design of the funnel design, but I believe that one of the original trio was allowed to keep it.

Quantum will have a cherry picker. Does that count? LOL

Actually they have the sky dive ride (not sure what their name is) which would be considered levitating.

Actually they have the sky dive ride (not sure what their name is) which would be considered levitating.

Yeah, that too. That actually sounds like fun. :)

JAs for a previous comment about removing the whale tail funnel, it's been done. The Tropicale lost her whale tail to a basic round Costa funnel before becoming the Costa Tropicale. Changing a funnel is not that big of a deal. A few of the original RCCL ships had to have the Viking Crown Lounges removed when the ship was purchased. Song of America was able to keep hers, as it was an integral design of the funnel design, but I believe that one of the original trio was allowed to keep it.

True, or painted black like they did with the old Celebration.

Yeah, that too. That actually sounds like fun. :)

It would be as close to sky diving that I would get. Hopefully enough hot air to lift me off the grid...lol. That would be a cruise experience I would live to regret, or hear about till the end of time, at least my time:-)

Carnival may have these ships for sale, but I am certain that carnival is putting strict requirements as to where the ships can't be used.... A lesion they learned competing against their former ships when Premier started up...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ouch, I've got 12 days on Fantasy coming up. Believe me, I'm wondering how I'm going to keep from going crazy! I loved Elation and I love B2B's- does that count?:D