More fraud charges on my Royal Visa.......

Do you now also need to use a PIN code like in Australia? while in USA May and June this year I never once got asked to enter a PIN.

No pin. Of course, there are hardly any businesses in my area that use the chip entry. They just use the swipe. Walmart is the only business that I know uses the chip, but no pin required.

I guess the US needs to get up to par with the use of these cards.

I will be cruising to Canada next month and am anxious to see if they use them. I don't have a pin, but will call BOA to see how to set one up. I'll check on line first.

Gwen :)

No pin. Of course, there are hardly any businesses in my area that use the chip entry. They just use the swipe. Walmart is the only business that I know uses the chip, but no pin required.

I will be cruising to Canada next month and am anxious to see if they use them. I don't have a pin, but will call BOA to see how to set one up. I'll check on line first.

The new chip reader in Walmart is a real pain. You have to find the slot that it goes in and then leave it there until transaction completes. No more swiping it and putting away.

The new chip reader in Walmart is a real pain. You have to find the slot that it goes in and then leave it there until transaction completes. No more swiping it and putting away.

Yes, I noticed that. I was used to swiping my card at the beginning of check-out and putting it away. So now, I just wait until the end and insert my card and it goes a lot faster. Only problem with waiting until the end is that sometimes the customer behind me is so anxious to get to their order that they are right next to me when I am trying to sign the card reader. I almost have to elbow them away so I can have some privacy to sign. :eek: Saying excuse me to them doesn't seem to mean a thing. :rolleyes:

Your card got scanned, the numbers and ID were secured. Then probably sold . Once they sell your info to multiple rip-off artists, they will charge small amounts, usually not being caught by alerts and you are none the wiser for a period of time.

BOA caught it, many do not if they only scan for purchases over a certain amount.

And, under $50.00, you hold the liability, over $50, the card issuer (ie, BOA) eats it. Bravo for BOA for catching the charges.

Your card got scanned, the numbers and ID were secured. Then probably sold . Once they sell your info to multiple rip-off artists, they will charge small amounts, usually not being caught by alerts and you are none the wiser for a period of time.

BOA caught it, many do not if they only scan for purchases over a certain amount.

And, under $50.00, you hold the liability, over $50, the card issuer (ie, BOA) eats it. Bravo for BOA for catching the charges.

That is why I require that I be notified if anything is charged to my account. It makes it easier to catch fraud at that time then waiting for my monthly statement.

Funny thing is that this morning, I read an article about having your credit card hacked. Lots of good info on the article. Perfect timing. At least I know I am doing all I can to eliminate it, but these hackers are very intelligent and I am no match.

I think we can stop this thread now. Not sure how to do it. I know it will be moved or deleted anyway sooner or later.

Thanks for all the answers and information you all posted. Greatly appreciated.

• 1 year later...

Just was on Liberty, haven't used the Royal card much recently except on purchasing drink packages in Feb and scanning at the cruise terminal for on-board account on 3/20/16. Using the free wi-fi in Falmouth to check email and received notice of 6 fraudulent charges on the Royal BOA card. Immediately had it shut down. These charges were all from 3/21/16 for $19.99 each, one day after scanning at the port. I am not pointing fingers, but since the last two charges on this account were to RCI, one can certainly start there in an investigation.

This is the second time our Royal card has been compromised around a sail on a RCCI ship.

Edited by WisconsinFan
added a sentence

Could be the places you frequent! :eek:

Seriously, anyplace where you cannot see the card continuously once it leaves your hand and how it is swiped is a higher likelihood of compromise. Even with keeping an eye on it I'm sure there can be slight of hand involved anyway in skimming the card that would be impossible to stop. When I travel to London/Ireland I'm impressed by the presentation of the card machine in front of me, and that most folks there use a pin at swipe time.

If the card has a RFID chip it doesn't even have to leave your purse or wallet to have the information read if the card. If it's not in a specially designed RFID sleeve, wallet or purse all someone with a small palm size reader has to do it just walk past you to get all the information.

The US is changing to Chip and sign, while the rest of the world is on Chip and Pin, when using a US Chip card in the UK, it would not let me use a PIN, had to sign a paper receipt as their machines are not set up for signatures. Got some strange looks from some of the cashiers as, these days, signing a receipt is alien to them.

The US is changing to Chip and sign, while the rest of the world is on Chip and Pin, when using a US Chip card in the UK, it would not let me use a PIN, had to sign a paper receipt as their machines are not set up for signatures. Got some strange looks from some of the cashiers as, these days, signing a receipt is alien to them.

Heaven forbid the credit card companies inconvenience the US consumer. I'd certainly take a PIN for the extra security.

Edited by Big_G

Don't know why this keeps happening. I get e-mails from my Royal BOA Visa with all charges that occur on my account. I set it up that way, so I can keep track of them faster in case of this particular problem. This morning I got my usual e-mails confirming my charges. There were 3 fraudulent charges that were pending. All of them very small amounts, which I know happens in some instances until the actual charges are posted. I was going to call once they were actual charges. To my surprise, they called me to ask me about the charges they thought were fraudulent.

I was all set to cancel my card, but since they seem to be on top of things, I will keep it. At least for now. I know I hate to keep getting a new card issued, but I appreciate that they take care of the issues so promptly. Just a hassle if you have to get in touch with companies that use your card automatically for purchases or payments. I don't do that for this reason. But, I like the points for cruising. They will send you a new card overnight at your request, without charge, if you want.

I don't know how it keeps getting compromised. This is about the 4th time. I have no problems with my other BOA account, just the RCCL one.

I know a lot of others have had similar problems.

Anybody have any answers as to why this happens so often with this card? Could it be that because it is so widely used overseas and while people are traveling that it gets compromised, or is it just a thing with BOA? I have not cruised since March, so traveling would not be my issue.

Gwen

[/quote

Cancel your card immediately.

Don't know why this keeps happening. I get e-mails from my Royal BOA Visa with all charges that occur on my account. I set it up that way, so I can keep track of them faster in case of this particular problem. This morning I got my usual e-mails confirming my charges. There were 3 fraudulent charges that were pending. All of them very small amounts, which I know happens in some instances until the actual charges are posted. I was going to call once they were actual charges. To my surprise, they called me to ask me about the charges they thought were fraudulent.

I was all set to cancel my card, but since they seem to be on top of things, I will keep it. At least for now. I know I hate to keep getting a new card issued, but I appreciate that they take care of the issues so promptly. Just a hassle if you have to get in touch with companies that use your card automatically for purchases or payments. I don't do that for this reason. But, I like the points for cruising. They will send you a new card overnight at your request, without charge, if you want.

I don't know how it keeps getting compromised. This is about the 4th time. I have no problems with my other BOA account, just the RCCL one.

Anybody have any answers as to why this happens so often with this card? Could it be that because it is so widely used overseas and while people are traveling that it gets compromised, or is it just a thing with BOA? I have not cruised since March, so traveling would not be my issue.

Gwen

[/quote

Cancel your card immediately.

Are you aware that you just replied to a two year old post.

Our bank notified me of charges on my card from FL, none cruise related. When I looked up the name on the Web, it was a time Share and we had never done business with them or own a time Share. The bank had already blocked the card prior to calling me and reissued a new card within the week.

Just was on Liberty, haven't used the Royal card much recently except on purchasing drink packages in Feb and scanning at the cruise terminal for on-board account on 3/20/16. Using the free wi-fi in Falmouth to check email and received notice of 6 fraudulent charges on the Royal BOA card. Immediately had it shut down. These charges were all from 3/21/16 for $19.99 each, one day after scanning at the port. I am not pointing fingers, but since the last two charges on this account were to RCI, one can certainly start there in an investigation.

This is the second time our Royal card has been compromised around a sail on a RCCI ship.

I would never ever use free wi-fi to check any financial account.
I know it was two years old, but I remembered seeing it previously, so thought rather than starting a new thread, I would reply to the old one to give a history of the problem with this card.
I think the problem is with risky browsing habits and not the card Edited by FLACRUISER99

I am not stupid and please don't judge without the complete facts,

I used WiFi to check email not financial accounts. BOA had sent an email to notify us. I contacted BOA from the ship, which was a free service offered from Royal.

My phone was turned off from the time we left port in Galveston on 3/20/16 to the time we arrived at Falmouth on 3/23/16. The charges were from 3/21/16, which had nothing to do with me accessing free WiFi on 3/23/16. The last two charges on the credit card were with Royal, one on 2/23/16 to purchase drink packages and then at the port to set up the sea pass account. I had two other credit cards with me and nothing has happened with them, including another BOA card.

As a rule I only do financial items on our home WiFi on our laptop.

My bank (CIBC) issued me a new Visa card three times. It kept getting compromised until I realized they kept giving me cards in the same series of numbers and the expiry date was always the same. Once I got after them about that and they gave me a new card with a completely different number and expiry, the problems stopped.

In speaking with a higher level of person in the fraud department, the explained that thieves "may" have cracked the code used to generate card numbers for my original series of card. Since the expiry and my name were the same all they had to do was keep trying card #s with my info until they got a match.

Don't know why it took them that long to figure that out. (Long story, but my suspicion is that my card was skimmed at a gas station near Magnetic Hill in New Brunswick).

Gwen

Sorry to hear that, have used my RCCL Visa for years with nothing except perfection. Never ever had a security issue and have always been able to transfer my points with ease online.....K.O.:)

I think the problem is with risky browsing habits and not the card

Even if she had risky habits, even if she had logged into her financial account (which she clearly hadn't from the post you quoted), what does that have to do with having her card info stolen?

But the biggest likelihood is that it wasn't stolen and used within a day. That's not generally how these things work. The timing was coincidence.

And, ultimately, since we aren't responsible for the charges, we aren't privy to the "rest of the story". That's up to BOA and the criminal if the criminal is caught.

My brother had a rash of his Chase airline card info being used. One replacement post-fraud was used while it was on its way to him in the mail.

Sorry to hear that, have used my RCCL Visa for years with nothing except perfection. Never ever had a security issue and have always been able to transfer my points with ease online.....K.O.:)

I started this thread almost 2 yrs ago. I was surprised when I saw it here and didn't even remember posting this.

I still have the card and haven't had any problems since with it. But, have with another card. As long as I am not liable for any false charges, I'll keep the card/cards. They are now chip cards, but very few places around here use it. Only Walmart and one other place use the chip card. I thought all places were required to use the chip card by last year.:rolleyes:

I started this thread almost 2 yrs ago. I was surprised when I saw it here and didn't even remember posting this.

I still have the card and haven't had any problems since with it. But, have with another card. As long as I am not liable for any false charges, I'll keep the card/cards. They are now chip cards, but very few places around here use it. Only Walmart and one other place use the chip card. I thought all places were required to use the chip card by last year.:rolleyes:

They are, or they are responsible for fraudulent charges.

We just had a card compromised. A poster on our roll call said that she had had a similar problem after notifying her CC company that she would be vacationing. I had done the very same thing just a day or 2 before. Coincidence? Maybe! Just something to think about.

• 5 weeks later...

I recently had a fraudulent charge on my BOA RCCL card, and was told they would issue a new card. It has been almost 2 weeks and have not received it. Today I called to find out about the card and they tell me that the charge was made on a previous card that had been replaced, not my current card! They said it sometimes happens that the card isn't automatically canceled .So, they are not issuing a new card and I am glad that I did not destroy my current card, thinking that a new card would arrive soon. Crazy!

Just have them re-issue your card with new

Exactly what I was going to suggest. Your credit card company won't be at all surprised if you make this request; in fact, since you've had several small fraud charges, I'm surprised they haven't already done it.

except for travel and Aldi LOL, because of the fraud on all cards and Debit cards are harder to prove fraud.

FYI: Aldi's now accepts credit cards. It's a very new thing.

Even when it doesn't leave your sight, it can happen. I have a card that I had not used for almost a year. Time to break it out and keep it active. Used it at a garden center, card swiper right in front of me. By the time I got home, the fraud dept. had called to see if I had a time machine. I was in NY and the card was used in CA and some where overseas...all within an hour!:eek:

This is a good story: We went into a Publix in Florida. For an odd reason not worth detailing, my husband went through the line and made a small purchase ... simultaneously I went through the other line and bought a full cart of groceries -- I suppose it was suspicious behavior. We used the same credit card, and I was declined (mortifying). Within minutes I had an email from Discover. I had to follow their online directions, and it took me about two minutes to verify my last couple purchases ... and then my card was "good to go" again. I felt secure knowing that they're watching carefully.

The small 'pending' charges you saw were what usually happens when someone has obtained your card information; they 'test the waters' with a very small transaction, hoping no one will notice, to see if the charge will go through. If it does, then larger charges will start happening very quickly. The reason you keep seeing them is that someone out there already has your credit card number; there are rings of criminals out there who actually sell credit card information to each other. They will keep trying as long as that credit card number is still open. I'd just close it and get a new one before you have bigger problems.

Oh, yes! "The bad guys" are very smart about how they do these things. Imagine what they could do for the world if they chose to use their power for good instead of evil.