Early pregnancy declaration absolutely mandatory ?

Michidoeme

My daughter will be ca. 9 weeks pregnant when cruising in 1 week. We are aware that in the Celebrity contract it says : Pregnancy - Celebrity Cruises cannot accept guests who will have entered their 24th week of pregnancy by the beginning of, or at any time during the cruise or Cruisetour. A physician’s ‘Fit to Travel’ note is required prior to sailing, stating how far along (in weeks) your pregnancy will be at the beginning of the cruise and confi rming that you are in good health and not experiencing a high-risk pregnancy. The ‘Fit to Travel’ note should be faxed to the Access Department at 1-954-628-9622. If you have already booked a cruise or Cruisetour and do not meet this

requirement, please call us at 1-866-592-7225 or email us at special_ needs@rccl.com.

Now when she asked her doctor (Europe where we don t know such disclaimer culture yet), he says the pregnancy is completely normal and it is still so early nobody will see or ask anything and anyway if there would be something the insurance carrier never has such clauses anyway. My daughter didn t really dare to insist and it is true, her travel insurer doesn t have this issue. Will she be in trouble with Celebrity if something should happen ?

Edited by Michidoeme

No she won't be in trouble with Celebrity should something happen. Some women are not even aware they are pregnant yet at 9 weeks. The problem is for women who are clearly showing and do not have that letter on file or with them and are denied sailing. At that early stage no one will know she is pregnant but she should get that letter just to be safe.

I could see a woman getting in trouble for misrepresenting how far along she was (closer to due date) and something happening.

Ah, how times have changed!! I remember cruising when 8 months pregnant with one son (now 28), no one said a word. You should have seen me during muster, that was back when they made you wear the life vests. Pretty hilarious!

With the son before that, we flew to Hawaii at about the same stage of pregnancy. Had a great time other than the swollen feet issue from the plane flight. On the way back, once we arrived in SF, a woman came up to me and said, "I'm a doctor. I've been watching you all week. Sure glad I didn't have to deliver that baby!!"

Ah, how times have changed!! I remember cruising when 8 months pregnant with one son (now 28), no one said a word. You should have seen me during muster, that was back when they made you wear the life vests. Pretty hilarious!

With the son before that, we flew to Hawaii at about the same stage of pregnancy. Had a great time other than the swollen feet issue from the plane flight. On the way back, once we arrived in SF, a woman came up to me and said, "I'm a doctor. I've been watching you all week. Sure glad I didn't have to deliver that baby!!"

Love it!

OP, most people who are pregnant wait until the end of the first trimester, probably 14-16 weeks, when they start to show, to tell anyone. At 9 weeks, I wouldn't say a word to anyone other than my DH and my mother, since it is in the first 10-12 weeks that the body will make "corrections" if needed.

Our best wishes for a happy and healthy pregnancy, and we hope you enjoy being the grandparent!

Thanks for advice and good wishes for first grandchild.

I just couldn t remember if it was on the health questionnaire to be filled out when boarding (besides vomiting and respiratory problems) or if they give out different questionnaires to young women. And it could matter if she would have to consult doctor on board.

And as they won t accept guests after 24 weeks of pregnancy, the required "fit to travel" note is clearly meant for those under 24 weeks.

Edited by Michidoeme

No it is not mandatory but I still would to cover yourself in the event of an unforeseen emergency. I was on an Alaskan cruise in 2000 and a woman in her first trimester miscarried and was air-lifted off the ship to a hospital in Vancouver. Her husband and family were not permitted to go with her. It caused a lot of problems and sadness for that family.

I did not see the 24 week cut off and I too was pregnant on that sailing. It was NCL and I was permitted to sail with permission from my doctor and an insurance policy that NCL made me take out in case I needed to be air-lifted. I was fine but as I said- another pregnant woman on the same sailing was air-lifted off.

Now the cruise lines don't make exceptions for later term pregnancies and I was just lucky that they took pity on me in 2000.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

That is a very good point - if something (heaven forbid) should happen to you, and even if you have insurance, if it was not disclosed they could deny your claim. Even if you say you "didn't know you were pregnant", they will find out (I have unfortunately had to deal several times with cruise insurance and they do want to know your current physicians).