Skagway excursion question

travgurl

Skayway Excursion--should we do a rail/bus excursion to Emerald Lake or just take a bus to Emerald Lake and back? Any company recommendations would be appreciated! Trying to decide what is best to do. Thanks!

We have done the rail/bus twice now and love it. The train experience is fun and they tell you about the gold rush on the way. We did it independently with Chilkoot Tours (sp?). Did train up and bus down the first time and bus up and train down the last time. We did the all day tours with lunch included. Both are great. Well worth the price.

We booked with Chilkoot Tours. Train up to Fraser summit, then got on a shuttle bus with only 7 people :) and traveled out to Carcross. They take you a little further up to Emerald lake for a few pictures, then turn around back to Carcross. We had lunch in Caribou crossing where you can pet the SOOOO cute sled dog puppies. We took the bus all the way back to Skagway. It was great! If you can request any bus driver ask for Stanley! She was the best, we loved her! This tour was so much better than the cruise tour. I felt sorry for the people who took the train to Fraser and turned around and went back. The Yukon is so pretty.

I know you didn't ask, but is renting a car and driving yourself an option. It is one road there and back, can't get lost and you can travel at your leisure. plus it will be much cheaper/

Cheers

Len

This is true, however you don't get the cool train ride and a tour guide to talk your ear off about the area. But if you are on a tight budget, renting a car is s great option.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

Dyea Dave has a 5 - 6 hr tour to Emerald Lake with a number of stops for $80.00. If you want to get on the train in Fraser on the way back to Skagway, that is another $80.00 I plan to stay on his van the whole trip; others with me are coming back part way on the train.

I think Chilicoot (sp)tour is more.

If you dont mind me asking' date=' how much was the Chilkoot tour?

Thanks![/quote']

We are doing 8 hour Bennett Lake tour with Chilkoot taking the train all the way to Bennett and van back to Skagway. Total cost per person is $229. Well worth it in my estimation as we have toured with Chilkoot before and they are excellent!

We made a final decision to book with Trails of 98 http://www.tntours98.com/

on the Emerald Lake 7 hour tour They are rated very highly and have excellent reviews. We dock in Haines, we will take the fast ferry to Skagway. So the port plans for next summer cruise tour are complete. So now I have to wait a whole year for this, something to look forward to!!!

We went to Emerald Lake with Frontier Excursions last month www.frontierexcursions.com . They did a great job. Just gorgeous viewing all the way up through the Yukon. Of course Emerald Lake was just gorgeous. You can see lots of photos from our excursion in our review on our website www.thepreismans.com.