Price Drops

KPGirl

The points don't really make a difference to me, I will probably be back to Carnival after this cruise unless Norwegian wow's me. I will probably book so, it sounds like it's a good idea. Thanks for everyone's suggestions and advice.

The points don't really make a difference to me, I will probably be back to Carnival after this cruise unless Norwegian wow's me. I will probably book so, it sounds like it's a good idea. Thanks for everyone's suggestions and advice.

What would you classify as WOWing you?

I'm going to be honest here.

I simply don't understand all of the claims like, "I booked the cruise a year in advance, the price never went down, in fact it went up..." or "I booked 9 months in advance, and it was never lower than what I paid..."

I have not seen this pattern at all. This includes both cruises I took since December, as well as other cruise prices I just followed out of curoisity (or in a few cases, on behalf of friends/family.)

There are a few cruises with very popular itineraries/dates where the price never drops. However, those are very much the exception, and not the rule.

I think the people who think "it never went down" are in one of a few situations:

1) Not checking the website very often, so missing the drops

-or-

2) Buying suites which don't typically get discounted very much

-or-

3) Taking cruises on Christmas week or other highly popular itineraries

You rarely get the best deal way in advance, because NCL knows you really want to go (enough to book so far in advance) and doesn't have to give you a very good deal to get your business. They also are so far off that they don't know the demand for that sailing, so they have no reason to discount anything yet. The prices drop later, in order to attract last-minute/semi-last-minute buyers, as well as fill empty cabins.

This has been the cruise model for decades, and all lines except the high-end ones follow it.

If you are booking early because you want specific cabins, and you're willing to pay a premium for it, I understand.

If you are booking early because you want to buy cabins that are unlikely to decrease much in price, such as suites, I understand.

If you are booking early and plan to repeatedly check NCL.com for fare reductions and call to get it adjusted prior to final payment date, I also understand.

But if you really think booking a year early is getting you bargain prices, you're probably fooling yourself.

But back on topic.

If you want to get the best price, and you don't want to book last-minute (usually the best price occurs between 14-50 days before sailing), you need to book your stateroom and then be vigilant in checking ncl.com for reductions.

You can cancel and rebook up to final payment date unlimited times without penalty, and you will almost never lose the room you already booked. However, you will lose whatever perks you got on your previous promotion, such as upgrades or OBC, and those will be replaced by the new promo.

So you have to just evaluate which deal is better for you.

For example, let's say you're booking a balcony cabin for $1000/pp, cruising on March 1, 2015. You get $50 OBC and 3 specialty restaurant dinners for two on this promotion.

A month from now, you see the same category is now $950/pp, but the OBC is only $25 and there is no specialty restaurant included. It's probably better in this case to stick with your original booking.

But if you see the same category fall to $800/pp, then it's definitely worth it to cancel and rebook, even without any perks.

The one way you're not likely to see any improvement in value is when there are free upgrades.

So if you're booking an oceanview and getting a balcony as part of a promo, if you cancel and rebook, you will lose that upgrade. In that case, you probably don't want to cancel/rebook, unless a huge price drop justifies it.

In general, the two best promos they run are "free upgrade" (usually a great value unless current prices are inflated) and "kids sail free" (provided you have additional people in your party and don't mind stuffing them all in the same stateroom.)

No extra point for 9 months out if you cancel & rebook. Booking date changes and that is what they go by.

EXACTLY.

They give you the extra latitude points for booking 9+ months out and not changing, because those deals are always the worst.

Points schmoints... I'd rather save the $$! LOL. I saved a grand, they can keep the 7 points, LOL. Matter of fact, I can probably go on another cruise for those points with the $$ I saved.

As far as WOWing... I think any cruise line can wow a person, it all depends on the persons outlook! I love Carnival, but do I always want the same experience when I go cruising, not necessarily, that's why I booked with NCL. I think after so many times cruising on the same lines, it get's manotonous and maybe even not as exciting as it once was. I've been on NCL but never on a 7-nighter... and I'd be lying if I didn't say I was uber excited! Probably more so then when I went on my last one.

What would you classify as WOWing you?

I guess what I mean is that I usually go with Carnival because I find it more affordable and have no complaints about Carnival so unless I find Norwegian is better then Carnival I will go where I can get the best for my money.

Thanks to those who responded to the Latitudes question....seems as though the real answer is...it depends .... :p

I realized when I had a price drop my booking date didn't change on my confirmation. I took advantage of the Kids Sail Free & upgraded from SF to SC and that's when my booking date changed - same reservation number.

Also I agree that losing the points was no real loss for the better room and refund we received. And I am not platinum.

I agree with Pokerpro about pricing and why booking early has not given me the best prices. I think the ones that say their cruise has only gone up must be referring to the costs BEFORE final payment. Even the OP said she can book Alaska for next Sept for double the cost of the same cruise this September. Knowing that, why would anyone book early? I'm guessing she won't need airfare but even if she does, airfare could be booked around the dates the cruise is desired and then book the cruise at 45-60 days out. If NCL doesn't have any cabins at that point (seems unlikely!), there are many other lines doing Alaska that would be possible to book. I think I'll stick to planning in advance but booking less than 2 months out.

Knowing that, why would anyone book early?

I don't know about the OP, but for me the reason why I book early (and check prices like a nut) is because if it's booked in advance it allows me to budget my $ accordingly. I pay little by little along the way. Whereas, I know if I try to save that money separately I'll never accumulate it because there will always be something else that comes up. Especially, when there is a big ticket item. I pay for everything cash and if I don't have the cash, I'm not going. I don't charge OBC or my trip or excursions. Everything is paid for in advance, so that is MY benefit of booking early.

With that said, I do check prices daily, takes all of 5 minutes of time. When prices drop, I call and get the reduced rate. We all have our methods. :)

We originally booked about 18 months out. We got a price reduction 2 days short of 9 months and lost the extra points. Our booking date did not change. :(

And it's up to each person to decide if the price reduction is worth the loss of points. To me, it was. To others, it may not be.

I agree with Pokerpro about pricing and why booking early has not given me the best prices. I think the ones that say their cruise has only gone up must be referring to the costs BEFORE final payment. Even the OP said she can book Alaska for next Sept for double the cost of the same cruise this September. Knowing that, why would anyone book early? I'm guessing she won't need airfare but even if she does, airfare could be booked around the dates the cruise is desired and then book the cruise at 45-60 days out. If NCL doesn't have any cabins at that point (seems unlikely!), there are many other lines doing Alaska that would be possible to book. I think I'll stick to planning in advance but booking less than 2 months out.

I will probably wait until 2 or 3 months out, I can't imagine it selling out completely , we are booking our first balcony so are really fussy where it is. I will book the airfare as soon as I see a good price, I've been tracking these prices too.

We cruise NCL at least once a year. We have never booked any later than 11 months in advance (this year). I check into NCL every day without fail. In the past 6 years, the price has never been lower than my original price. This years cruise is just under $400 per person higher right now (5 months to go). Last year the last cabin in our category sold the week before sailing for $1000 more than we paid. Some cabins on some cruises might be cheaper at the end. If you don't care about category or location, then waiting might save you money. We cruise the same week every year and do not want to take a chance on only getting a room other than what we want.

We cruise NCL at least once a year. We have never booked any later than 11 months in advance (this year). I check into NCL every day without fail. In the past 6 years, the price has never been lower than my original price. This years cruise is just under $400 per person higher right now (5 months to go). Last year the last cabin in our category sold the week before sailing for $1000 more than we paid. Some cabins on some cruises might be cheaper at the end. If you don't care about category or location, then waiting might save you money. We cruise the same week every year and do not want to take a chance on only getting a room other than what we want.

I agree... as I said earlier in a post. Always did well booking early plus get the cabin I want and the reduction before final payment anyway, if it goes down and if it goes up, great for me.

September is the low season for Alaska anyway but balconies are desirable too. Good luck... you'll have fun.

What is your category?

If it's balcony, oceanview, or inside, I have a very hard time believing this.

If you're booking suites, that makes a bit more sense, as those are limited and NCL doesn't like dumping them at low prices so as to keep the product's prices fairly consistent.

What is your category?

If it's balcony, oceanview, or inside, I have a very hard time believing this.

If you're booking suites, that makes a bit more sense, as those are limited and NCL doesn't like dumping them at low prices so as to keep the product's prices fairly consistent.

I agree with rsullivan... we have the same experience. Only have booked balconies with NCL, never had a suite. Once we had an inside but that was a last minute, 3 weeks before the cruise so of course it was cheap.

We mostly cruise out of NY so maybe that is why we have had the same experience. For our Hawaii cruise the rates went down, before final payment and we got a reduction. One other cruise the rates came down after final payment so we upgraded to a mini suite for $80 more (for the cabin) because we would not get a reduction, we were happy. All the others the rates have gone up. Really.

Maybe the rates for a balcony will go down after final payment for our Nov 30 cruise ... I really don't have a feel. We just booked it a few weeks ago and it's gone up so far. I'll keep you posted... it's like an experiment... we're ahead so far on all our cruises so I'm not upset if it goes down after final payment.

I agree with rsullivan... we have the same experience. Only have booked balconies with NCL, never had a suite. Once we had an inside but that was a last minute, 3 weeks before the cruise so of course it was cheap.

We mostly cruise out of NY so maybe that is why we have had the same experience. For our Hawaii cruise the rates went down, before final payment and we got a reduction. One other cruise the rates came down after final payment so we upgraded to a mini suite for $80 more (for the cabin) because we would not get a reduction, we were happy. All the others the rates have gone up. Really.

Maybe the rates for a balcony will go down after final payment for our Nov 30 cruise ... I really don't have a feel. We just booked it a few weeks ago and it's gone up so far. I'll keep you posted... it's like an experiment... we're ahead so far on all our cruises so I'm not upset if it goes down after final payment.

Final payment date is 75 days out, as I'm sure you know.

Did you check the prices 50 days out? 30 days out? That's when most of the major price drops occur, including balconies.

Often it doesn't drop much before final payment date if it's a sailing which is selling fairly well, because they know people have the power to call back and get the rates adjusted. It's still typical for the rates to fall somewhat (as they did for your Hawaii cruise), but the real drops occur after final payment date, for obvious reasons.

I still don't understand why anyone books before final payment date, unless they have specific room requirements, are sailing during a big holiday period like Christmas, or are booking suites.

There's still plenty of time to get reasonable airfare when you're 30-50 days out, and you can always book airfare BEFORE booking the cruise, knowing that you will grab the cruise later when the prices go down.

Edited by pokerpro5

Final payment date is 75 days out, as I'm sure you know.

Did you check the prices 50 days out? 30 days out? That's when most of the major price drops occur, including balconies.

Often it doesn't drop much before final payment date if it's a sailing which is selling fairly well, because they know people have the power to call back and get the rates adjusted. It's still typical for the rates to fall somewhat (as they did for your Hawaii cruise), but the real drops occur after final payment date, for obvious reasons.

I still don't understand why anyone books before final payment date, unless they have specific room requirements, are sailing during a big holiday period like Christmas, or are booking suites.

There's still plenty of time to get reasonable airfare when you're 30-50 days out, and you can always book airfare BEFORE booking the cruise, knowing that you will grab the cruise later when the prices go down.

People have given you plenty of reasons why they book early. If you don't want to, that fine. Some of us prefer booking far out so we get the deck or cabin we want or to be able to pay in installments and that is fine with us. You book whenever you want and we'll book whenever we want.

all I know is I want a balcony, I don't even understand what the different categories are or mean.

Mid-ship is considered superior because it has a better location. You can get everywhere faster.

Also higher floors are also considered superior, though usually balcony rooms are on floors 8-10, so they're all fairly similar height-wise.

Some also like them on a certain side of the ship, such as the Alaska cruises where you can follow along with the scenery narration better on one side.

But as far as the quality of room, it's all pretty much the same.

Ok so after looking over everyone opinions, I think what I will do is book an Oceanview room then wait and upgrade to a balcony when and if they offer a free up grade. Would that work ?? Thanks so much to everyone for your words of wisdom.