FLL Airport Car Rental Question

hpeabody

In the past I used a shuttle back to the port from the airport after returning my car. I just learned that the rental agency I typically use, National, no longer provides that service. My Question: Are there any of the other car rental agency that DO provide shuttle service to the port?

Budget has a drop off on 17th street, close to a port entrance and they also have a shuttle. My recommendation, if using either the Thriffty or Budget (or really any of the ones with airport locations) is to drop off your luggage first & then drop off the car. It makes it a lot easier, in my opinion, especially if the van is full and needs to make multiple stops.

In the past I used a shuttle back to the port from the airport after returning my car. I just learned that the rental agency I typically use, National, no longer provides that service. My Question: Are there any of the other car rental agency that DO provide shuttle service to the port?

FLL has an airport owned rental car shuttle that serves the car rental terminal and the port. There is no charge.

Only certain rental companies have space at the rental car terminal so check to see if your company has a desk there. It runs regularly all day.

FLL has an airport owned rental car shuttle that serves the car rental terminal and the port. There is no charge.

Only certain rental companies have space at the rental car terminal so check to see if your company has a desk there. It runs regularly all day.

I now realize that it is likely that is what I took. I was directed to a loading/unloading area by the car rental agency. From what I can tell there is currently no service to the port. On the airport's website Courtesy Shuttle Section I find this.

http://www.broward.org/Airport/Transportation/Pages/CourtesyShuttles.aspx

Between Terminals

Courtesy shuttles operate from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m., 7 days a week.

To/From Airport Economy Parking

Courtesy shuttles operate continuously 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Between Rental Car Center and Terminals

The courtesy shuttles operate continuously 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Do you possibly know of a specific website that shows this service. I have googled and googled and all are suggestion for hotel shuttles mostly.

If you use Thrifty, you can pick up at the airport and return to just outside Port Everglades. They provide shuttles to the ships.

DH and I rented from Thrifty last month and had great service. When we arrived in Florida, we rented from the airport and returned the car to the Thrifty outside of Port Everglades. They shuttled us to the port. After our Caribbean cruise, we reversed the process. They do not charge an extra fee for renting at the airport and returning at their Port Everglades location. There is no extra charge for the reverse either.

I now realize that it is likely that is what I took. I was directed to a loading/unloading area by the car rental agency. From what I can tell there is currently no service to the port. On the airport's website Courtesy Shuttle Section I find this.

http://www.broward.org/Airport/Transportation/Pages/CourtesyShuttles.aspx

Between Terminals

Courtesy shuttles operate from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m., 7 days a week.

To/From Airport Economy Parking

Courtesy shuttles operate continuously 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Between Rental Car Center and Terminals

The courtesy shuttles operate continuously 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Do you possibly know of a specific website that shows this service. I have googled and googled and all are suggestion for hotel shuttles mostly.

Interesting, maybe they stopped the service. :(

On 6/18, the FLL airport sent me this response to the question about such shuttles.

Thank you for contacting the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL). Alamo and National have complimentary shuttle services to Port Everglades.

So if you found out National has discontinued the shuttle, then Alamo also no longer offers it as Alamo is owned by National.

That means no car rental agency at the airport offers this service anymore.

Edited by caribill

On 6/18, the FLL airport sent me this response to the question about such shuttles.

Thank you for contacting the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL). Alamo and National have complimentary shuttle services to Port Everglades.

So if you found out National has discontinued the shuttle, then Alamo also no longer offers it as Alamo is owned by National.

That means no car rental agency at the airport offers this service anymore.

FLL airport confirmed today in an e-mail that National and Alamo still offer the shuttle to Port Everglades.

Yes, we rented from Alamo and took the shuttle just last week (7/19/2014). They did make you show your paperwork before getting on the shuttle to prove you had rented from Alamo or National.

Some in our party also rented from Budget at FLL and returned to the Budget Port Everglades location and then took the shuttle from that location to the ship. With a couple other cruise ships in port the same day, the wait for the shuttle was pretty long.

FLL airport confirmed today in an e-mail that National and Alamo still offer the shuttle to Port Everglades.

Yes, we rented from Alamo and took the shuttle just last week (7/19/2014). They did make you show your paperwork before getting on the shuttle to prove you had rented from Alamo or National.

Some in our party also rented from Budget at FLL and returned to the Budget Port Everglades location and then took the shuttle from that location to the ship. With a couple other cruise ships in port the same day, the wait for the shuttle was pretty long.

This helps me feel better.

I also got the exact same email as Caribill mentioned from FLL airport people. National Reservations / Emerald Club still can not confirm anything and they even elevated me to management. All their information is about the airport only. I tried calling the location directly and all I got was a recording to leave a message. No response.