Tips for tours question

There is no way I would tip $80.00 for the two day tour...no matter what the tour is like...we go in one week...I'm sure I'll give them $20.00...tops.

Just curious - do you remove the tips on board a cruise?

I am assuming that you know the expected gratuities, and are talking about tipping over the recommended amount - for the cruise, for tours, or any other service you contract.

To me if a website says there are additional charges, no matter if its "tips" other surcharges, or taxes, then its an expected cost of the tour.

This is why I think it is so important to read everything on a website and in a contract so that you know what is an expected cost of the trip.

then if service is exceptional, add more if you feel it is deserved.

I just realized the GailnBrad said they would never tip $80 for a two day tour.

Our two day St Petersburg is $300, so tip is $45.

Maybe their two day is through the ship, or another provider that pays their staff differently, and they are not expected to pay the 10+5%.

I do, of, course, stand by my recommendation to read the contract and read the website so that the expectations are clear for all costs for a tour.

I apologize if I was too hasty in my assumptions.

There is no way I would tip $80.00 for the two day tour...no matter what the tour is like...we go in one week...I'm sure I'll give them $20.00...tops.

If you went to a restaurant for a big dinner and the bill was $600+, would you tip the 'required' 15-20% or just $20.

Is there a difference here that I am missing?

Cheers

Len

We just came back from the Baltics and used TJ Tours. I find it interesting that people feel that the tip amount is too much. Remember that the travel season is short in the Baltics so they are making tips to help through the winter months. We were lucky to end up in a small group . . .two families. Yes, we spent $1100 for the four of us who took the two day tour but we chose to tip more than the suggestion. Our guide made our two days extremely enjoyable so we tipped her $200. Our driver was very efficient and made sure we were comfortable so we tipped him $100. For us, this represented a small part of the costs of going on this cruise. We chose inside cabins, found the cheapest airfare and hotel but recognized the excellent service we were given.

We also used TJ Travel for two days of tours. They were excellent and deserved good tips.

Many nationalities have different tipping cultures so it's hard to generalize. The recommendations (as previously noted) are 10% for the guide and 5% for the driver. I adjust accordingly based on the cost of the tour, the number of people on the tour and (obviously) the quality of the guide. I personally feel that the guidelines are good for a reasonably small group but if the group is large I tend to knock it down a bit since the guide will still make out pretty well.

Giantfan13

If I was in a restaurant and the bill came to $600 I would leave $60 if the service had been good, or less if not good. Funnily enough, my partner and I have been away for the weekend as it has been a public holiday here in UK. On Saturday night we went out for dinner. The food was good, but we had waited ages for the food. When my OH went to pay the bill he mentioned the long wait to the manager. The manager only apologised, not offer a drink on the house, or anything else. Needless to say we did not leave a tip. The waitress should have kept us informed of the situation, but she didn't.

I read this today in USA Today Paper.

Rick Steves: Tips on tipping in Europe

Rick Steves 10:03 a.m. EDT August 23, 2014

The prices on this French restaurant tab already include a service charge — so you don't have to leave anything extra unless the service was exceptional.

Here's a tip. Don't stress over tipping.

Restaurant tips are more modest in Europe than in America. In most places, 10% is a big tip. If your bucks talk at home, muzzle them on your travels. As a matter of principle, if not economy, the local price should prevail. Please believe me — tipping 15% or 20% in Europe is unnecessary, if not culturally ignorant.

Virtually anywhere in Europe, you can do as the Europeans do and (if you're pleased with the service) add a euro or two for each person in your party. In very touristy areas, some servers have noticed the American obsession with overtipping — and might hope for a Yankee-size tip. But the good news is that European servers and diners are far more laid-back about all this than we are. The stakes are low, and it's no big deal if you choose the "wrong" amount. And note that tipping is an issue only at restaurants that have waiters and waitresses. If you order your food at a counter, don't tip.

At table-service restaurants, the tipping etiquette and procedure vary slightly from country to country. But in general, European servers are well paid, and tips are considered a small "bonus" — to reward great service or for simplicity in rounding the total bill to a convenient number. In many countries, 5% to 10% is sufficient.

In Mediterranean countries, the "service charge" (servizio in Italian, service in French, servicio in Spanish) can be handled in different ways. Sometimes the menu will note that the service is included (servizio incluso), meaning that the prices listed on the menu already have this charge built in. When the service is not included (servizio non incluso), the service charge might show up as a separate line item at the end of your bill.

In northern and eastern Europe, the menu or bill is less likely to address the "service charge," but you can usually assume that it's included in the prices.

To get the bill, you'll have to ask for it. Before it comes, make a mental tally of roughly how much your meal should cost. The bill should vaguely resemble the figure you expected. (It should at least have the same number of digits.) Look at your bill carefully; if you have questions, ask your server.

Of course, each country has its own quirks when it comes to tipping. In Germanic countries, it's considered discreet and classy to say the total number of euros you'd like the waiter to keep (including his tip) when paying. So, if the bill is 41 euros, hand him 50 while saying, "45." You'll get 5 euros back and feel pretty European.

In Prague and most places in the Czech Republic, your bill will state — in English — whether or not service is included. In most cases it's not, so round up the bill by adding 5% to 10% and paying in cash. Speaking just a few Czech words will get you better service (if you greet your waiter in English, he'll want a 15% tip).

In London many restaurants list a 12.5% "optional" tip on the bill, but you should tip only what you feel the service warrants.

Typically, it's better to hand the tip to the waiter when you're paying your bill than to leave it on the table, particularly in busy places where the wrong party might pocket the change. Servers prefer to be tipped in cash even if you pay with your credit card (otherwise the tip may never reach your server); in many cases, there isn't even a line on the credit-card receipt for a tip.

Americans frequently worry about tipping cabbies. It's simple: For a typical cab ride, round up to the next euro on the fare (to pay a 13 euro fare, give 14 euros); for a long ride, to the nearest 10 (for a 76 euro fare, give 80 euros). If you feel like you're being driven in circles or otherwise ripped off, skip the tip.

Tipping for special service is optional. Guides who give talks at public sights or on bus tours often hold out their hands for tips after they give their spiel. If I've already paid for the tour or admission to the sight, I don't tip extra (but if you want to tip, a euro or two is enough). In general, if someone in the service industry does a super job for you, a tip of a couple of euros is appropriate...but not required.

When in doubt, ask. The French and British generally tip hairdressers, the Dutch and Swedish usually don't. If you're not sure whether (or how much) to tip for a service, ask your hotelier or the tourist information office; they'll fill you in on how it's done on their turf.

I’ve checked my correspondence with the Best Guides. In one of the first letters they e-mailed me attached “Information for travelers coming by cruise ship”. Among other useful information I found this

Gratuities to the guide and driver are not included in the cost of the tour. According to the Russian standards it’s around 15% of the cost of the tour. As a rule it’s 10% to the guide and 5% to the driver and it’s better to give separately. Gratuities will be happily accepted in any currency: US $, euro or rubles. However all the gratuities remain solely to your kind will!!!

I think it’s a good explanation. We left even a little bit more just because we enjoyed the tours so much and they really did great job. Jess :)

Just wondering if you view this question differently if you have booked your excursion through the cruise company?

And are a Brit and not accustomed to tipping lots?

Just interested.....

If you book through the ship you tip at your discretion but when you compare apples to apples you get Much more for your money with a private tour even when you figure in the tip.

So are tips meant or thought to be included if you book through the ship?

We always give a few dollars to the guide and the driver if we feel they do a good job. If we find the guide engaging and the driver patient and helpful then we tip them. But it's suggested not mandatory

Just wondering if you view this question differently if you have booked your excursion through the cruise company?

And are a Brit and not accustomed to tipping lots?

Just interested.....

Interesting question. I was born in Poland but have been living in NY for so many years… I feel myself an American. I think if I book with the ship I will live 5 -10 $ for a guide and a few $ for a driver. I don’t know whether tips are included or not in the ship excursions. You can ask when you book. I think I will leave a little bit even if tips are included. I just feel myself better when I tip. I don’t tip only if something is really wrong. Typical American :) :) :) Jess :)