Carnival Splendor Steakhouse - Save Your Money

cruisernbn05

I'm no fan of the Steakhouse. We went on the Breeze cruise. Slow service and average food. The tuna appetizer was so overpowered by red onions that it was inedible. It was a shame because the tuna looked very good - just couldn't taste it because of all the chopped onion.

The worst part of the experience was the attitude we got for bringing in a couple of bottles of wine. I was well aware of the corkage fee and was happy to pay it. Before we even got our menus (which took 10 minutes), the waiter said she would have to make sure we were charged corkage for the wine. I have been to many places that charge corkage and if the place is classy, the waiter (or more often the sommelier) will come over and take an interest in the wine you brought. I've even shared a taste with a sommelier before if it was something they hadn't had before. But we were made to look like we were trying to get away without paying corakage. Just left a bad "taste" for the whole meal.

And lastly, we ordered coffee after the meal. I was shocked that they didn't have a dedicated coffee maker in the restaurant. They served me a cup and it was luke warm at best. I asked for hot coffee and they said that would be hard since they had to go to Lido deck to fill the pot.

So Carnival sells the Steakhouse as a top end experience - but there are many rough edges. Too many for me to try it again.

On the way out she has the nerve to say "thank you" I replied "your cheese cake sucks also". She did nothing, nothing corrected, not money taken off, she needs to be fired period

So she thanked you, and you replied like a child. That's classy.

Funny I guess we were on the same cruise. I agree, we ate there on the 28th. The manger was the worst and so was our waiter

1. I asked for creaser salad for the table and saw it said "traditional presentation". I asked the waiter to prepared it table side and was told no. I questioned her about the "traditional presentation" and was told its prepared in the kitchen. We get severed a warm creaser salad (salad should be cold). 5min later I see a table across the way getting creaser salad prepared at the at the, ***!!!'

2. Most of the table ordered the onion soup and it was not edible, it was burnt and over reduced, mine had no onions in it. My daughter said it best "she has had better soup in a dinner"

3. 2 of us ordered the lobster tails. On bite into the over done tails and I taste citrus. I ask the head chef and was told that is how there prepare it along with citrus butter (menu said nothing about either). Never in my life have I ordered lobster and had it ruined like they did. The steaks that were ordered were good.

4. I ordered cream spinach, I get wilted spinach in a bowl with cream soup, are you kidding me. The main dining room severed cream spinach and it was as expected chopped and in a thick cream.

5. The cheese cake was the worst I have tasted, it was room temp and thanks for the jumbo slice that no one would eat. leaving I see the cake sitting on a rack room temp.

Now the best, the manager should be fired. After the salad and soup problems I went out to speak with her. She tells me the salad should have been prepared table side, never said she was sorry, just who was your waiter. Next she has the nerve to tell me the she has tasted the soup and likes it like that.

I make another trip out after the lobster. I was lied too and told the menu said citrus butter, I ask to see the menu "drawn clarified butter". She then asks me what would I like her to do about it because if I eat my food I must pay (who says that). I said that I wanted both lobster tails replaced (no citrus anything). She comes over to the table and says "looks like you ate some so we can not replace it" my mouth was left hanging open.

On the way out she has the nerve to say "thank you" I replied "your cheese cake sucks also". She did nothing, nothing corrected, not money taken off, she needs to be fired period

Promaxx - I agree with your comments about the manager. I have eaten in a specialty restaurant on every cruise (sometimes two/three times in a cruise) and never was treated as this manager treated us (like children).

As to all - this review was to relay my experience so that others could have the benefit of my experience. If we were to "flame" or make everyone "validate" their experiences, there would be no reviews. We need to all draw our own conclusions and glean the information that will help to make our cruise more enjoyable.

Why in the world do they serve Caesar salad like that in the Steakhouse? It takes 5 minutes just to cut it into manageable bites.

I didn't care for the cheesecake at all. Much better choices on Lido during lunch.

I wouldn't wait as long as the OP to get someone's attention. If they weren't nearby, I'd get up and find them.

I've had fabulous filet and really bad rib eye, so the consistency isn't where it should be.

While reading all the comments about the tough steaks, I was reminded of a New Year's dinner in a fine steakhouse in Coconut Grove. When I told the server the steak was just too tough, he paused, then told me he'd get me a sharper knife!

Edited by crusinpsychRN

The onion soup is almost always over reduced and super salty. I like it but because it is so rich I hardly eat any of it and I feel guilty. The Ceasar salad has always been prepared table side but taste wise it is rather bland and overdressed.

We have been in the steakhouse on Legend, Pride, and Breeze. The manager of the restaurant often has a slight arrogance but we have always been accommodated and our waiters have always been phenomenal. When I only eat 1/2 my soup, I am always asked whether I liked it and if I would like something else.

That being said, I have had bad meals in many restaurants. I am not a complainer and I chock up bad meals to luck of the draw many times. Most of my carnival steakhouse meals have been enjoyable.

OP, thank you for posting this. I agree with you based on our experience on the Pride - David's a couple of years ago. Our experience was similar but we didn't have to wait to be seated and we weren't comped for anything. What bugged me the most is that no one came over to check on our meals and see how they were at all. Food was variable but nothing was outstanding (except chocolate sampler dessert), service was NOT good. We noticed a major decline in the meal since the Pride first sailed - when it was indeed wonderful.

I think it's good that fellow cruisers and mgt is aware.

Now I would try the Italian restaurant for lunch if I sailed on a ship that had it...then maybe dinner if I enjoyed the lunch.

Remember who the customer is. Her attitude was sarcastic, where you there, no, so why would you comment?

If you didn't want people to comment, you shouldn't have posted.

Sarcasm goes both ways – some people just dish out what they get.

I Will never figure out why people would consider to pay $35 for steak when its right there in the dining room included in the cruise price.

We had steak a few nights on Splendor recently. Very happy with the taste of it and the dining room.

If you didn't want people to comment, you shouldn't have posted.

Sarcasm goes both ways – some people just dish out what they get.

comment is one thing - you attacked me personally, just called me classless - tough guy on the keyboard?? How did I attack or say anything about you??

comment is one thing - you attacked me personally, just called me classless - tough guy on the keyboard?? How did I attack or say anything about you??

I never said you attacked me, and I never attacked you – I just said your childish comment was classy. If you're not thick-skinned enough to handle spirited debate, you're in for a wake up call.

Apparently it's ok for you to be rude with the people at the Steakhouse, but a little sarcasm from me makes me a "tough guy"? I suggest you stop whining and get on with your life....after all, it's just a piece of meat, and this is just Cruise Critic.

Sorry you had such an awful experience at your steakhouse dinner. Last month on the first night of our cruise, we ate at David's Steakhouse on The Pride and had a great experience. The hostess and servers were all very nice & served us well. As days went by we would see some of those servers working in other areas of the ship & they remembered us & would say hello.

Sorry you had a bad experience -- very disappointing when you are looking forward to something.

But to even mention that it didn't ruin your entire cruise -- I hope not!

When you have a bad dining experience on land does it ruin your entire week? Does it ruin all dining experiences from then on? No, of course not; it is just one unpleasant experience from which you move on!

I get irritated when posters say such and such "ruined (their) entire cruise". People need to get a grip!:cool:

I believe the OP had a bad meal & service as she reported.

So sorry you found your Steakhouse visit lacking!

Yes, EVERY restaurant can have issues and do. YMMV.

Part of the irritation is that you are now paying $35 per person and SHOULD expect both an excellent meal and service; consider they are saving a MDR meal too.

We had very, very good meals & service in the Steakhouses on Legend & Spirit!

Last cruise on Breeze, the service was was VERY slow between courses and the wait staff very unenthusiastic.

Despite not having every table occupied.

DH's steak was tough & gristly and he also "gave up" on it after trying several areas of it.

No we did not complain, we had NO interest in wasting any more of our evening there.

We should have asked for his meal to be removed, but did not.

We realize ship happens sometimes.

Getting DH in the Steakhouse on our Breeze cruise in a few weeks will likely not happen.

Makes me sad :( but I get his point totally.