My First Trip to the Naughty Room!

My question was what could possibly be wrong with bringing a small pair of wire snips or pliers on a ship? If I really had evil intent on my mind I am sure I could find much more dangerous weapons and tools on the ship!!:eek:

Presumably you can go around the ship cutting anything which looks like an electrical cord. Just please spare the Freestyle machines for me. :D

Never had an issue on a ship but TSA made our day when they confiscated my sons toy light saber. Not the sort with the solid hard plastic shaft or even a real cut through flesh type. But an inflatable type. The TSA agent said it was a weapon. I told him to be careful when he turned it on In case he cut his arm off. He was not too amused.

Edited by Magnetchief

Never had an issue on a ship but TSA made our day when they confiscated my sons toy light saber. Not the sort with the solid hard plastic shaft or even a real cut through flesh type. But an inflatable type. The TSA agent said it was a weapon. I told him to be careful when he turned it on In case he cut his arm off. He was not too amused.

That is ridiculous! RIP Common Sense, we will miss you in our lives!

According to the FAQs... you can't bring knives or scissors. This might be less than 4"... but I doubt it was a personal hygeine item.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=2608

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Forums mobile app

Thanks to all for the suggestions to use toe nail/finger nail clippers. We understand there are alternatives to the wire snips, it's just that in 12 years or so we haven't needed to think about it because our snips have never been a problem.

My question was what could possibly be wrong with bringing a small pair of wire snips or pliers on a ship? If I really had evil intent on my mind I am sure I could find much more dangerous weapons and tools on the ship!!:eek:

Sorry, I read the thread backwards so had already posted.

After almost 13 years of jumping through TSA hoops, cruises seem quite civilized. :)

Edited by SPacificbound

According to the FAQs... you can't bring knives or scissors. This might be less than 4"... but I doubt it was a personal hygeine item.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=2608

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Forums mobile app

It doesn't say anything about pliers (or wire snips) and as I said, my pair of large scissors were in the same bag they xrayed and found the snips.

Apparently the only consistent thing they do is be inconsistent! :rolleyes:

Thanks to all for the suggestions to use toe nail/finger nail clippers. We understand there are alternatives to the wire snips, it's just that in 12 years or so we haven't needed to think about it because our snips have never been a problem.

TSA took my zip ties and extreme small pair of side wire cutters from my carry on bag years ago. After they took them away, they informed me that if they were for my work the ties would have been fine. That was not how I answered their question about them. The cutters would have been confiscated either way.

The explanation I got was the zip ties could have been used to restrain a person on the flight. I guess they might have thought a flight attendant or worse a pilot? Perhaps cruise security thinks the same way about zip ties, through training?

Just a guess.

TSA took my zip ties and extreme small pair of side wire cutters from my carry on bag years ago. After they took them away, they informed me that if they were for my work the ties would have been fine. That was not how I answered their question about them. The cutters would have been confiscated either way.

The explanation I got was the zip ties could have been used to restrain a person on the flight. I guess they might have thought a flight attendant or worse a pilot? Perhaps cruise security thinks the same way about zip ties, through training?

Just a guess.

LOL - those must have been large zip ties!!!

The ones we use are only about 4 inches long. They couldn't restrain anything larger than a bug.

Just a guess.

Tell them you use them for sex. I would love to see their face when you say that!! :D:D:D

I would never try to bring wire snips in my carry-on....we are very careful these days after having a few things taken away, like my little swiss army knife with the tiny knife and micro scissors.....I was sad to see that go.

Tell them you use them for sex. I would love to see their face when you say that!! :D:D:D

I would never try to bring wire snips in my carry-on....we are very careful these days after having a few things taken away, like my little swiss army knife with the tiny knife and micro scissors.....I was sad to see that go.

Or my wife's face if we were at the security desk. :eek:

I was taking those items to Arkansas to a sale I was going to. The ties were to be used for hanging a large poster, the snips to cut them down. A quick trip to Walmart and a few dollars later I had a dozen ties, and a cheap pair of scissors. Problem solved. Both were thrown away prior to my flight home.

Carnival actually took our small fan, it wasn't very big, we use it to circulate the air in the room at night. They said you could stick your finger in it and that was a hazzard. They gave it back at the end of the cruise.

They took it because it was a potential fire hazard not because you could stick your fingers in it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow sorry that happened to you. Thanks for letting us know.

We also use the ties on our luggage. We use a large nail clipper to cut them off or a pair of baby nail scissors. We will usually leave them in our carryon bag and had never been stopped cruising or by TSA. However when we went thru security on our June cruise we were stopped for about 30 minutes while they searched for a corkscrew which I knew I didn't have. It turned out to be the large nail clipper. Once discovered we were allowed to continue along with the large nail clipper.

So does this look like a corkscrew?

14320509408_3592343796_c.jpg

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

Wow sorry that happened to you. Thanks for letting us know.

We also use the ties on our luggage. We use a large nail clipper to cut them off or a pair of baby nail scissors. We will usually leave them in our carryon bag and had never been stopped cruising or by TSA. However when we went thru security on our June cruise we were stopped for about 30 minutes while they searched for a corkscrew which I knew I didn't have. It turned out to be the large nail clipper. Once discovered we were allowed to continue along with the large nail clipper.

So does this look like a corkscrew?

14320509408_3592343796_c.jpg

No, it does not.

On one of our very first cruises someone bought us a bottle of wine and the steward brought us a little cork screw that we have taken on every cruise since (in our checked luggage) and we have never had a problem.

I put a pair of children's scissors, with the blunt tips, in one of the outside pockets of my luggage to cut the cable ties. The blades are about two inches long.

I haven't flown in quite a few years. But, if the TSA told me that I had to leave something behind and I thought that the TSA agent wanted it for him/herself, I would break it before discarding it.

Eileen

For the last 15 or so cruises we have carried, on the outside pocket of one of our suitcases , a ziplock bag with cable ties and a pair of wire snips to snip the cable ties when we reach our destination. We cable tie our suitcases while traveling to make them a little more secure….we are under no illusion that any suitcase at any time can be opened, no matter the lock, but the cable ties help with zipper failures, and the random person opening bags to vandalize or steal someone…and it helps us feel better.

On our last cruise in May on the Brilliance, I get a notice that I am to go to Security because there is a problem with my luggage. I am confident I have nothing “illegal” in the bag. I get there and they tell me I have a pair of pliers in my bag and to please remove them. I tell them I don’t have pliers in the bag…they insist I do. We start looking around and sure enough these little wire snips in my outer pocket, about 5” long, with the snip part less than an inch long, are what they are concerned about. They keep calling them pliers. They take them and tell me I can retrieve them at the end of the cruise.

I can’t imagine why you can’t take a pair of pliers (or wire snips) on a ship. What could I possibly do with them that would put the ship or someone on the ship in danger?? Can anyone shed some light on why the ship cares about pliers?

The funny part is in the exact same piece of luggage I had a large pair of scissors, with blades probably 4- 6 inches long! Apparently scissors are OK, but small “pliers” are not. I am confused. It’s also interesting that we have checked our luggage in many, many times with the exact same pair of snips without any notice before…..is there a new concern or policy in effect about “pliers”?

Hey, Desertbelle! On our last cruise in May on Navigator, my bag didn't come. His bag did, our bag with sofas and water we check through did, but no suitcase did. We go to dinner, we come back no bag. I call guest services, and they say all bags sent to the naughty room but not retrieved (I got no call to come), were at guest services. I go to guest services. They want to open it in front of me, they feel around in it and say, it's ok. I'm like no, I want you to dump it out and tell me why you kept this bag. They did and there was nothing there that was "naughty". So don't think you have to have anything in there for your bag to go missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk