Questions about embarking at Naples, Positano and Sorrento

AmoMondo

I've been slithering between spending a week split between Sorrento and Positano or doing yet another Med cruise. I've just seen a cruise where there is an option to embark in Naples, so I could have the best of both worlds staying in Positano before the cruise and Sorrento after.

I've already researched transport from Naples airport to Sorrento or Positano but I'm a bit stuck for what I'd do for the port.

Do the ferries depart near where the cruise ships dock? I'm worried it may be at a different area of the port and not that easy to get on with luggage and loads of day trippers from the ship? Would train be an easier option?

There are two ferry locations in Naples. As long as you are talking about the Molo Beverello location and not the Mergellina location, the ferry is definitely the easier option and quite close to the cruise ships -- depending on your ships location, it could be anything from half a block to 5-6 blocks.

I don't think there is a train that goes to Positano. You'd have to use the train for the segment to Sorrento (guarding your luggage on the local Circumvesuviana for an hour) and then a bus to Positano.

Once in Sorrento though, there is a stiff climb from the water to the main town. If your hotel is there, you'll have to manage it somehow. Perhaps there is some kind of transport (I'm not aware of it, as I've never arrived in Sorrento by ferry.)

We have recently returned from a second trip to Sorrento on our first we took that stiff climb into town from the Port this time we discovered the lift. As you arrive in Sorrento if you were looking ahead to Sorrento town go around to the right a little way and there is lift that takes you into town it was very cheap 1 euro each and much easier than the road climb.

• 1 month later...
We have recently returned from a second trip to Sorrento on our first we took that stiff climb into town from the Port this time we discovered the lift. As you arrive in Sorrento if you were looking ahead to Sorrento town go around to the right a little way and there is lift that takes you into town it was very cheap 1 euro each and much easier than the road climb.

Wow! That is so good to know! thank you for sharing this info.