How does NCL compaire to CCL

Susiecruisey

I am looking to try something new how do the 2 compaire?

Like anything else, comparison is subjective. In some ways they are the same, while in others they are anywhere from slightly different to vastly different. It depends on the needs and wants of the person performing the comparison. I could love something that you personally dislike...and vice-versa.

You say you are looking to try something new. Mind if I ask why? What is missing from your current experience that you hope to find in "something new"? What things to you find to be important? What do you consider to be trivial? How are your needs/wants not being met in your current situation?

It would be a lot easier to help if we had some sort of idea as to the specifics that you are looking for.

In my opinion:

NCL has a way better buffet than Carnival, Carnival has slightly better dining room food, Carnival has way better desserts. That being said, I never starve on NCL and I am not a buffet fan on any line.

NCL has better customer service, happier crew, and you tend to see the officers out and about more than on Carnival.

In balcony cabins and above NCL gives you a coffee maker.

Carnival's cabins are a little bigger.

In my opinion:

NCL has a way better buffet than Carnival, Carnival has slightly better dining room food, Carnival has way better desserts. That being said, I never starve on NCL and I am not a buffet fan on any line.

NCL has better customer service, happier crew, and you tend to see the officers out and about more than on Carnival.

Pretty much my observations as well. I did notice that in the dining room, NCL wasn't right there asking if we'd like to order a drink before the meal and same at end of meal to get a cup of coffee with our desert. I liked the dining room service better on CCL. THAT SAID, would I cruise NCL again? YES! These are slight differences and nowhere close to being "dealbreakers".

In my opinion:

After my first cruise on the NCL this past May...I 100% agree with your opinion!icon7.gif

It's been 10 years since my last NCL cruise and since that time we have done 7 CCL and 11 other cruises with different lines, no more CCL for us!....I am going to book the Getaway very soon for our next cruise.....about CCL, quality in my opinion has dropped considerably in the past couple of years, just off the Dream couple of months ago and without a doubt the worst of the seven, the food in mdr was very good but after that, nothing!......the shows sucked, the entertainment throughout the ship was the worst I have ever heard, we loved sunning on the very back of the ship, but the music playing through the loud speakers was terrible, for those that like to listen to music that makes you want to move your feet and shake your head, forget it, this stuff will make you want to jump overboard! .......from what I do remember from the NCL cruises is, great food, lively entertainment, outstanding staff and great shows, why we stopped cruising NCL I really don't know, but I'm very happy we are going back!.....this is not to say you wouldn't love CCL, don't really know what you're looking for!

Having sailed both lines recently from NY, and having sailed both lines 5 or so years ago as well, I can tell you that NCL has pretty much stayed the same but CCL has gotten worse. Dawn 5 and 7 years ago had not so great MDR food. Same this year on Breakaway. We used to be CCL fans due to the interesting and exciting ships and the value, but no more. We were able to clearly see all the cutbacks in service and just plain quality level that CCL has made. The food is definitely better in the MDR on Carnival, but that is where the pros end. NCL's level of service, maintenance, quality, etc., is just much better compared to Carnival.

We just tried Carnival for the first time in March on the Fantasy and had an awesome time. We have always avoided Carnival but finally went and would go again.

I had a different experience with the MDR food though. I thought it was lacking and enjoy NCL much better in that category. The shows are also better on NCL in my opinion. I like the pool area better on Carnival as I think the pools on NCL are too small. We love Blue Lagoon on NCL for a late night snack and the buffet as well.

I think that you will find that the 2 lines are very similar. I did think the staff on Carnival was much happier though. It could just be that the particular cruise we were on had great staff but I've been on 4 NCL cruises and never had staff as friendly and outgoing as was on the Carnival cruise.

I would say try NCL and see for yourself.

Carnival has dancing waiters. NCL, mercifully, does not.

Agree!

IMO NCL is a step up. NCL is not as noisy, has better service, food is better and more choices, décor is more tasteful and as noted above the crew is happier and I find them more professional.

Carnival has better deserts, but NCL has been improving

The MDRs on Carnival make you feel like you have been squeezed in. The tables are too close. Almost like summer camp when the picnic table was supposed to hold 6 but 10 always managed to squeeze in.

Maybe the picnic tables are not a bad idea and I should pass it on to John Whatshisname with the Facebook. The Carnival MDRs could have several long picnic tables and everyone could eat family style. Lots of fried chicken, corn on the cob, potato salad, etc. just like good old Camp Samoset. Carnival did away with tablecloths so why not try picnic style and they could cut back on waiters with self serve family style. So more waiters available to dance:D

I am SO glad to hear that NCL does NOT have the dancing/singing waiters like Carnival. Our last cruises have been Carnival and I have never liked the interuption while dining. This August will be our first on NCL. I booked the UDP mainly because of comments about the poor food in the MDR. Reading all the reviews of the Jewel over the last few months it seems that the food ratings are lowest from the people who did not book the dining package and much higher from those who did.

I am SO glad to hear that NCL does NOT have the dancing/singing waiters like Carnival. Our last cruises have been Carnival and I have never liked the interuption while dining. This August will be our first on NCL. I booked the UDP mainly because of comments about the poor food in the MDR. Reading all the reviews of the Jewel over the last few months it seems that the food ratings are lowest from the people who did not book the dining package and much higher from those who did.

The Jewel is a lovely ship and we did enjoy the food when we sailed in April. However, we were in a suite so breakfast and lunch was always available to us at Cagney's and we did purchase the UDP.

DD did get some food from the buffet and she was pleased. We also had fish and chips along with the brownie sundae twice at the Blue Lagoon.............so good. The Blue Lagoon has been relocated and is now O'Sheehan's with pub style food.