key hole view of st Peter's

jamona2311

I've heard there is a keyhole in rome that you can look through to see st Peter's. Does anyone know how I can find this? I've seen it in reviews but they never give the exact location.

Thanks for your help. :)

Gena

The keyhole is part of the gate to the Headquarters of the Knights of Malta, an order with a long history worth reading about.

It is located on the Aventine Hill, address is via di S. Sabina. You can't actually go in, just look through the keyhole. Frankly, I don't get the appeal, but lots of people do it just to snap a photo, I guess.

Here is some more info: http://www.reidsitaly.com/destinations/lazio/rome/sights/knights_malta.html

(I suspect most people get dropped off there for a photo stop on a private tour and don't really know where they are, hence the lack of description....)

The keyhole is part of the gate to the Headquarters of the Knights of Malta, an order with a long history worth reading about.

It is located on the Aventine Hill, address is via di S. Sabina. You can't actually go in, just look through the keyhole. Frankly, I don't get the appeal, but lots of people do it just to snap a photo, I guess.

Here is some more info: http://www.reidsitaly.com/destinations/lazio/rome/sights/knights_malta.html

(I suspect most people get dropped off there for a photo stop on a private tour and don't really know where they are, hence the lack of description....)

Cruisemom42 is so correct! We were on a private tour, the driver and guide took us there to see it. Could not tell you where we were. :p There were some guards in the area but no problem. It is nice to see and take the picture. Rome is a fantastic place to visit. I would suggest a private tour, they really know how to show the city.

If you are going to the Vatican I strongly suggest a guide. We were picked up at 9 AM and drove past a "looooong" line of people wanting to get in, the guide tapped the guards hand, the ropes opened up and we walked in with our guide. Nice!

Not sure how you'd see Malta from the Aventine Hill. . .

Probably because it's the headquarters of the Knights of Malta - not actually Malta itself

Here's a picture taken through the keyhole

736692676_P1000697compressed.jpg.2fd67b3b2e53ed180ecce149539b3f5d.jpg

Edited by Bobal

Probably because it's the headquarters of the Knights of Malta - not actually Malta itself

Just to elaborate a bit on what Bobal has written: The land on which the monastery sits is autonomous, ruled by the Knights of Malta rather than by the Italian government or the government of the Papal state -- or even Malta. (Malta, the country, is a republic and isn't ruled by the Knights of Malta.)

In Washington, DC this issue of autonomy goes even farther. For each of the embassies in Washington, DC, the building and the land on which it sits really is a foreign country. (For residents who are neighbors of embassies, the parking nightmares that flow from this special status are infamous. The streets aren't part of the deal, but don't tell that to the embassy employees who regularly co-opt the public sidewalks and streets for their own exclusive use.)

Jamona2311, here's a link to a site that provides a little bit of explanation and a panoramic photo of the piazza where people line up to look through the keyhole.

http://www.italyguides.it/us/roma/rome/aventine/order-of-knights-of-malta/st-peter-keyhole.htm

Once you'll be on the Aventine Hill, here's a suggestion for another stop: If antiquity is appealing, head over to St. Sabina at the Aventine to see the pre-Roman architecture and, especially, the door to the main entrance. It's considered to be the oldest known church door in existence (5th century). Not surprisingly, access to the church is through a different working door.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Not sure how you'd see Malta from the Aventine Hill. . .

Here is a quote I read about this place.

"This small enclosed palace they have on top of Aventine hill is theirs, given to them extraterritoriality by Italy with sovereign status. It has observer status in the United Nations and embassies in over 100 countries. They issue their own sovereign passports for instance and postal stamps."

Just to elaborate a bit on what Bobal has written: The land on which the monastery sits is autonomous, ruled by the Knights of Malta rather than by the Italian government or the government of the Papal state -- or even Malta. (Malta, the country, is a republic and isn't ruled by the Knights of Malta.)

In Washington, DC this issue of autonomy goes even farther. For each of the embassies in Washington, DC, the building and the land on which it sits really is a foreign country. (For residents who are neighbors of embassies, the parking nightmares that flow from this special status are infamous. The streets aren't part of the deal, but don't tell that to the embassy employees who regularly co-opt the public sidewalks and streets for their own exclusive use.)

Jamona2311, here's a link to a site that provides a little bit of explanation and a panoramic photo of the piazza where people line up to look through the keyhole.

http://www.italyguides.it/us/roma/rome/aventine/order-of-knights-of-malta/st-peter-keyhole.htm

Once you'll be on the Aventine Hill, here's a suggestion for another stop: If antiquity is appealing, head over to St. Sabina at the Aventine to see the pre-Roman architecture and, especially, the door to the main entrance. It's considered to be the oldest known church door in existence (5th century). Not surprisingly, access to the church is through a different working door.

Sorry, I missed your post before making my reply.

Sorry, I missed your post before making my reply.

No problem, but your mention of passports and embassies seemed much more formal than I believed. I went to Wiki to satisfy my curiosity, and what I learned fascinated me. In the spirit of sharing, I've written up what Wiki says on the two topics.

Here's the excerpt about passports:

"The Sovereign Military Order of Malta passport is a travel document issued to officials of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta (SMOM). The sovereign issues biometric passports which are fully ICAO9303 compliant.

The application and printing process is handled by the Österreichische Staatsdruckerei (Vienna, Austria).

By agreement with the Italian government, citizenship of the S.M.O.M. is limited to three: the Grand Master, the Deputy Grand Master, and the Chancellor. These carry S.M.O.M. passports. The numerous other members of the order remain citizens of their own respective countries."

The situation about embassies is a bit cloudier and I even had to look at a different Wiki article to get a bit of clarification.

The complete passport article states that the SMOM has diplomatic relations with 104 countries, but my life in Washington, DC tells me that doesn't necessarily means the organization has an embassy there or elsewhere. Trying to resolve my confusion, I went to the main Wiki article about the SMOM and got a partial answer to my question.

It seems unlikely that the SMOM has embassies in the sense that the building/land is a foreign country. The Order's office is Rome is not at the same address as the historic monastery with the keyhole, but it's the monastery land that is autonomous from the Italian and Vatican governments. The remaining SMOM office is in Malta, but this one doesn't appear to have autonomous status -- not surprising when you consider that the Order lost all its land after a war with Malta.

As I've already mentioned, many countries don't own actual embassy buildings. They do their work in rented office space just like any ordinary business might. And that's the situation for countries where everyone agrees they actually are countries; the country is simply too poor to buy an embassy. The SMOM is not universally recognized as an autonomous entity.

Here's the link to the passport article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_Military_order_of_Malta_passport

Here's a link to the article about the SMOM. (This URL may take you directly to the sub-section about International Status. If not, just scan down.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_Military_Order_of_Malta#International_status_of_the_Order

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

No problem, but your mention of passports and embassies seemed much more formal than I believed. I went to Wiki to satisfy my curiosity, and what I learned fascinated me. In the spirit of sharing, I've written up what Wiki says on the two topics.

Here's the excerpt about passports:

"The Sovereign Military Order of Malta passport is a travel document issued to officials of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta (SMOM). The sovereign issues biometric passports which are fully ICAO9303 compliant.

The application and printing process is handled by the Österreichische Staatsdruckerei (Vienna, Austria).

By agreement with the Italian government, citizenship of the S.M.O.M. is limited to three: the Grand Master, the Deputy Grand Master, and the Chancellor. These carry S.M.O.M. passports. The numerous other members of the order remain citizens of their own respective countries."

The situation about embassies is a bit cloudier and I even had to look at a different Wiki article to get a bit of clarification.

The complete passport article states that the SMOM has diplomatic relations with 104 countries, but my life in Washington, DC tells me that doesn't necessarily means the organization has an embassy there or elsewhere. Trying to resolve my confusion, I went to the main Wiki article about the SMOM and got a partial answer to my question.

It seems unlikely that the SMOM has embassies in the sense that the building/land is a foreign country. The Order's office is Rome is not at the same address as the historic monastery with the keyhole, but it's the monastery land that is autonomous from the Italian and Vatican governments. The remaining SMOM office is in Malta, but this one doesn't appear to have autonomous status -- not surprising when you consider that the Order lost all its land after a war with Malta.

As I've already mentioned, many countries don't own actual embassy buildings. They do their work in rented office space just like any ordinary business might. And that's the situation for countries where everyone agrees they actually are countries; the country is simply too poor to buy an embassy. The SMOM is not universally recognized as an autonomous entity.

Here's the link to the passport article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_Military_order_of_Malta_passport

Here's a link to the article about the SMOM. (This URL may take you directly to the sub-section about International Status. If not, just scan down.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_Military_Order_of_Malta#International_status_of_the_Order

Thanks for all the info. I love to read up on the places we visit.

We are going back again next summer and I am sure we will again be looking through that hole. For me it is a fun idea to think that you can see three countries.....so, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I was actually just kidding around with my comment, like people who claim they went to Rome and saw the Parthenon, but the subsequent posts are very interesting. It seems like we are talking about two different sovereignties, Malta, and the Knights of Malta or SMOM, yes? It seems from reading the posts that they are separate entities.

After quite a few trips to Rome and years following this board, this is actually the first I've heard of the keyhole view, which makes it even more interesting to me! thanks for doing the research.

Depending on where you are coming from, you can take the Metro to Aventine Hill. Get off at Circo Massimo and then walk up Via di Santa Sabina until you get to Piazza Cavalieri di Malta. That is where the door is. It's the green door in a long white wall. The view is pretty cool.

• 3 weeks later...

I found this video online: A Walk with the Ambassador in Rome

It's on the Polish Embassy in Italy's website and the Ambassador takes you to some of his favorite places in Rome. Beautifully photographed and although it's in Polish, there are English subtitles. One of his first stops is the Keyhole and ---- what???---no line. I'd love to go back and see some of those places I missed.

Enjoy and view full screen: http://www.rzym.msz.gov.pl/en/root

on the right side of the above page a little ways down.

Edited by Steirisch